PG / VG Ratios, what do they do to the taste/etc? Zero nicotine vapes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

onizuka

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 10, 2012
USA
Hey guys, I'm loving this forum. People here are friendly and give great insight.

I was wondering about the PV / VG ratios. I've seen some of the juices being sold and on some sites, it lets you choose what ratio you want.

What does it mean for someone like me that's moving from cigarettes, cloves, pipe tobacco, and hookah?

Does it change the taste or the texture of the smoke? Does it really make a difference?

Also, does nicotine content make a difference? Do people here smoke purely zero nicotine vapes?

Flyer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 13, 2012
Illinois
PG contributes to throat hit. Some complain that high PG makes the vape harsh. Some have sensitivities or allergies to it. And of course some prefer 100% PG juice.

VG diminishes throat hit (but doesn't kill it). It also has a softening effect. to me, VG mellows the vape, almost has a creamy influence which I like.

But, everyone has to find what the want/need. I started with 70%PG/30%VG and found it too harsh. I have settled on 50/50 mixes.

Nicotine directly contributes to throat hit. It is also the reason most of us have been able to switch to vaping in the first place. The right concentration (usually 30/24/26/12/6 mg/ml) also depends on individual needs. Again, my experience as a former full bodied cigar smoker was starting with 24. It gave me the symptoms (nausea/headaches) of too much nicotine. I switched to 18 and all was well.

dnrtn2342

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 27, 2012
columbus, ga
Pg-propylene glycol
Vg-vegetable glycerin

The more pg you have, the more throat hit and flavor, the more vg you have the more vapor.
Such as my preference, 70/30 pg/vg. Alot of throat hit and flavor less vapor.

Nicotine also plays a role in this, the higher nicotine content the more throat hit.
I usually use a 70/30 pg/vg with 24mg nicotine.
I was a pack and half a day smoker of marlboro reds. I don't care too much on vapor (cigs don't exhale as much smoke as vaporiers do IMO) as long as I have a good throat hit.

Danny

Jixchel

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 10, 2012
Indiana
Thanks a lot for the info guys! This is helping me decide a lot.

Also, one other thing I overlooked was the flavor content. One of the sites gives is: normal, extra, double shot. Which do I go with for say, a vanilla flavor, or a mint flavor?

That one is a hard call since everyone's taste is subjective. If the company has reviews of the liquid, see what others have ordered in that respect. If the company is ECBlends, I can tell you my favorite from them is Dragons Blood with double extra flavor at 50/50 blend and 12 mg nic.

Blood_of_Adonis

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2012
Space
Typically, the flavoring is around 10% of the overall mixture (guessing here- I mix my own, so it varies). A double would be 20%, extra I would guess around 15%.

In my experience mixing, adding flavor doesn't effect the overall throat hit, unless you're mixing your own and the flavor is in VG or Alcohol. Alcohol really ramps up the throat hit, but it can kill/overkill the mixture. I would assume most vendors mixing their own use a flavoring in PG, a few of them VG in the mixes advertised as "PG Free", but you could always send the vendor an email directly to find out.

Vapoor eyes er

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Toronto, Ont.
Juice Components
Flavoring usually about 10%
PG enhances flavor, TH and lung hit- water like
VG= vapor and can mute flavor- thick
Nicotine- TH, lung hit and our need for nicotine. The MOST important ingredient in regards to TH and lung hit.
Standards in the industry are 80/ 20 or 70/ 30 PG/ VG. I vape 70/ 30 PG/ VG. I was vaping 60/ 40 PG/ VG but now only vaping 8 mg and needed more TH. The move from 60 to 70 PG made a big diff in the TH.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread