eGo Twist with low resistance cartomizer

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaardesign

Jan 2, 2012
USA
Hi, I have been using ego batteries for some time now and just got an ego twist. I use 1.25ohm and 1.5ohm dual coil cartomizers. I see no noticable difference between vaping at 3.2 or 4.8 volts with the Twist. Is this because I am using low resistance carts? I would like a richer flavor while maintaining the throat hit and vapor production.
Do you guys notice the difference between 3.2 and 4.8 volts on your twist? Should I switch to a 3ohm cart? Thanks all!

I have also read that you get more flavor from attys. Is this true? The ego addys leak for me. I use a cartomizer and tank set up. What is the best addy set up for an ego.

Carl0411

Jun 26, 2012
Rowland Heights
I use the Ego twist with 1.5 ohm dual coil cartomizers, couldn't really tell the difference between different voltages, but when I switched to boge 2 ohm cartomizers (single coil), switching from 3.8 volts, to 4.3 volts has a noticeable difference. I don't know if the dual coils have anything to do with it, maybe someone more knowledgable will chime in, but I prefer to use single coils on my twist at about 2 ohms and 4.2-4.4 volts, any higher and the flavor seems to lessen and the vapor runs thicker. I use mostly VG juice btw.

iamtumus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2012
New Haven, Connecticut
From what I understand with dual coil cartos, the resistance is actually double than what is stated, due to it being two coils.

That is incorrect.
Parallel Coils at 3 ohms each bring it to a 1.5ohm total resistance, so if you buy a "dual coil 1.5ohm carto" it's really two parallel 3 ohm coils. if dual coil cartos were in a series as opposed to parallel that would be true.

mostapha

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2012
Atlanta, GA
There was a post on the forum that other day where someone used ohm's law to figure the magic number was 2.2 ohms for the twists to achieve maximum performance without hitting the amp limit.

I think that was me. And, yeah 2.2ohm came out as having the most range available for stuff I could find easily. If you really wanted to figure it out, you can solve a set of equations……but I just don't care that much.

A 1.5 Ohm anything (single/dual/eighteen-coil whatever) will hit its limit pretty low on a Twist. If I'm doing the math right, it tops out at about 6.6 W. The same thing on a normal purely mechanical mod without a current limit would give 9.12 W (assuming the battery could deliver ~2.6 A……which most of them can but the Twist can't).

Based on the math, I don't think dual coils are really worth it on VV. But I haven't used one. I'll have to try it at some point. But based purely on the math……I'll be waiting until I get a simpler mod with high-drain batteries, because I don't expect it to work well on my Twist.

As to the OP's actual question……Using 1.7 and 2.5 ohm stuff, I do feel/taste/experience a difference b/t settings on my twist. It's night & day compared to a little cig-a-like 901 battery using the same stuff. At some point in the scale, turning it up more doesn't give any noticeable change……and that happens right when it hits the current limit……for a 1.5 Ohm device……that happens at 3.1V.

There's more usable range of powers the higher resistance you go…up to the point when the device can't provide enough voltage to hit its current limit……which is where the ~2.2 Ohm "ideal" came from in the stuff I posted. If you're around there, you get to use the whole range of your twist……which corresponds to having it vary from 4.6 to ~10 W……which is about the same range as the Kick……and it tops out around 4.6V, which spreads that power range out to fill almost the whole range.

Going too far……using a 2.5 or 3.0 ohm carto/atty would give you the full range, but it also tops out at 7.7W with a 3 ohm atty/carto @ 4.8 V……which is the whole reason people did stacked batteries before these VV devices came out.

I have nothing experimental to back it up, but if you're going to use very low resistance or dual coil stuff……high drain batteries and very simple mods seem like they'd give better results than any of the cheap variable voltage stuff.

Last edited:

plasticscones

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 27, 2012
Tropic
I use SR boges on my twist and dual coil Smok mega Ego cartomizers. I do notice a difference, the closer I get to 4.8 the sweeter juices get and the more i can taste the different layers of flavor. for example i vape VV thai mango and the higher I get the stronger the flavor and I can discern the different layers of mango flavor, the fruit, peel and sweetness. perhaps it varies from juice to juice.

Rader2146

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 11, 2012
Waco, TX
Great post mostapha. I posted pretty much the exact same logic in a thread yesterday, and I came up with the same results; 2.0-2.2 ohms is the magic number for full use of the voltage range.

For the dual coil issue...Yes each coil is 3 ohms in a 1.5 ohm DCC. The reason that you don't notice much difference is because the wattage is halved by each coil. So 8 watts total power means you are only getting 4 watts through each coil. Remember each individual coil is doing its own vaporizing so it's usually best to think of them as separate entities. Move up to 10 watts total power and you only increasing what you feel and taste to 5 watts. This is why you will hear of some vapers running 14, 16, and even 20 watts through Dual Coils. A single coil at that power is nearly the equivalent of magma, but a dual coil at that power is a good vape.

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
Dual coils require more amps. Even to the point of suggesting IMR batteries.... depending on the amp draw. Some batteries can't keep up with sending that much electricity that fast. That's where (partly) the device amp limits come in. Then there's the "frying the circuits" part. lol.

When you "hit an amp wall", it's like putting a governor on an engine. Doesn't matter what you WANT it to do.....it's limited.

So your effective wattage stays about the same... that's not a perfect explanation, but gives you an idea.

mostapha

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2012
Atlanta, GA
For the dual coil issue...Yes each coil is 3 ohms in a 1.5 ohm DCC. The reason that you don't notice much difference is because the wattage is halved by each coil.

Yeah. We can talk about electrical facts all day…and they're useful. But at the end of the day, it's all about how hot the coils are getting the juice. It doesn't take much to boil it, but to get it tasting right and feeling right……you have to hit a certain temperature. I have no idea what it is, but it's there. And you have to feed juice to the coils.

Personlly, I think dual-coil attys/cartos are kind of a waste. If you get the right heat to both of them, you're pushing a lot of power and running down batteries…just to boil things a bit faster. All you're doing is increasing the surface area of the heat source, which will only boil/vaporize juice if there's actually juice there to boil. And to some degree, twice as much stuff means twice as much stuff to break……and more reliance on whatever is wicking juice to your coils.

I really just don't get it.

Maybe I'm missing something, but I'd rather just draw for a bit longer than risk that bad of a dry hit if one of the coils gets dry or if one of them burns out and blocks juice from hitting the other.

MickeyRat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2011
Hickory, NC
I have a Provari and I am just starting to use Dual Coil Tanks with 1.5 ohm cartos. The Provari will not let me go above 3.8 volts. And i go thru a battery faster with these. I may try a regular resistance single coil carto in one and see how that works for me.

You must have a Provari V1. A V2 should top out at around 4.7V. If you send it to Provape, they will upgrade it for a small fee ($25 I think).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread