Charger for 14430 Infinity Pro Batteries?

Status
Not open for further replies.

caged

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2010
Laurel, MD
I'm considering the xtar WP2 II charger, but I'm not sure if the batteries will fit and am concerned the charge rate will be too fast. I've read that ideally, you want the charge rate to be half the capacity, so a 650 mah battery should be charged at a rate of 325 mA. Is this a problem? Are there any other chargers in this class that are decent? Pila is too expensive and I don't trust TrustFire due to personal experience.

caged

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2010
Laurel, MD
The Extar is pretty nice. Definitley better than the TrustFire I had before. Wish there were some wells to hold the batteries in place, but that may just be a mental thing, and the switch for changing the mA ouput could be better, but other than that not bad at all. Charges quickly too and does not throw sparks when I plug it in like the TrustFire did. Probably the best bang for the buck available.

Last edited:

markfm

Aussie Pup Wrangler
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2010
Beautiful Baldwinsville (CNY)
If you're just using them with the Infinity batteries, you can add a small piece of moleskin/shoe foam in each of the charger bays, that can make it simpler to align them, get good contact. I've been very happy with the xtar, combined with a little outlet timer.

caged

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2010
Laurel, MD
If you're just using them with the Infinity batteries, you can add a small piece of moleskin/shoe foam in each of the charger bays, that can make it simpler to align them, get good contact. I've been very happy with the xtar, combined with a little outlet timer.

Do you really need the outlet timer? Everything I've read says the trickle of electricity that happens when the charge is done is so small it makes no difference.

markfm

Aussie Pup Wrangler
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2010
The XTAR is an excellent charger, the trickle level is about 0.1 mA, while the disconnected discharge rate is only 0.5 mA, both really tiny.

I'm using the timer because of where and how I charge. It's to protect against a charger failure, including if we get a surge on the AC power line (rare, but it does happen), and save power (the timer draws no power when in the off state). I went for a full year with the basic TR001 charger, never unplugged it, often had batteries on it for extended periods (the TR001 is pretty good, too).

Early this year there were discussions about weird charging things (not TR001 or XTAR related), I dug up the Belkin timer as a contribution during the thread when someone asked about timers, decided to get one when I bought the XTAR. I actually picked up a second timer for the basement, all my power tool chargers are on a power strip driven from it.

It's all about personal comfort level. I do charge on a tray in the bedroom (convenience), I do use good chargers and batteries, but recognize things can break, I'm too lazy to futz with a charging bag (another good option for unattended charging -- I actually bought one but decided not to use it).

markfm

Aussie Pup Wrangler
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2010
Not sure, the warranty paperwork seemed pretty reasonable but I didn't bother reading it, just a glance; the vendor you bought from should be able to give you guidance. If it's really just the Red LED I likely wouldn't worry myself -- does it still turn green when done?

Last edited:

caged

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2010
Laurel, MD
Not sure, the warranty paperwork seemed pretty reasonable but I didn't bother reading it, just a glance; the vendor you bought from should be able to give you guidance. If it's really just the Red LED I likely wouldn't worry myself -- does it still turn green when done?

It turns green when there is no battery in it. I did check it out with a multimeter at work and power is fine. I have not tried charging with it yet.

I e-mailed the vendor -- no response for two days. When I wanted to make a sale, he e-mailed me back the same day. I had similar experience with RTD Vapor. Eager to make a sale but MIA when there is a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread