how many wraps?

Status
Not open for further replies.

danwelsh

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 16, 2012
Pictou, Nova Scotia, Canada
Ok guys and gals, just a question regarding rebuildables, i have an ra on its way and i'm wondering, since i don't have a provari i have no way of knowing what the ohm reading will be with how many wraps i put around my wick, is there a generalization rule for this, example 3 wraps equals 2 ohms(just guessing here) or is there another way for me to check the ohm level without having to buy something expensive?

Suthrnbuckhunter

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 19, 2012
SW Georgia,USA
I just completed my 1st rebuild with 32 a-1 kanthal as r and 30ga .999 siler wire as nr.I measured out 2 inches of the 32 a-1 and got 5 wraps on a doulble wick using slica...measured out on my Provari @ 2.4omhs...same on the multimeter I got from madvapes...this is giving me loads of vapor and fantastic flavor in my Penelope on my Provari @ 5 volts,and I am a total noob at this LOL..this one is better even than the one premade that came with the Penelope,althou I belive its because I did something a bit wrong with the premade one...but for my very 1st on my own I am very very HAPPY;););)

Suthrnbuckhunter

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 19, 2012
SW Georgia,USA
example 3 wraps equals 2 ohms(just guessing here) or is there another way for me to check the ohm level without having to buy something expensive?

You really should have at least a multimeter for rebuilding but let me add this.This is only based on what Ive read thus far and from my 1st experince.The number of wraps will not determine the omh rating of your coil.The omh rating is determined by the total length of risistance wire between the connection of the R wire and the NR wires.My 32 a-1 R wire is tated @ 1.2omh at 1inch,so 2 inches is 1.2omhX2=2.4omhs.Im sure if I am incorrect someone will be by in a bit to set me str8.....:)

this is of coarse based on using R wire & NR wire to make a coil for the Penelope,Im not sure what you would do if you are making a coil for an atomizer that uses only the R wire to rebuild

I would assume the pricipal would be the same.the length of resistance wire used between the 2 connectors of the atomizer,and not the number of coils.....hopefuly the more advanced folks will chime in to help us both..:)

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Say i want to make a 1.8 ohm coil head for my stardust. How long should the wire be and how many wraps around the wick. My kanthal wire is A1 32. Trying to learn :)

Where did you buy it? Do you have a link.

Because most places will tell the Ohms per Foot of Different Size Wire.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Well, that site didn't say what the Resistence is per foot.

But this one says that it is 12~15 ohms per foot.

http://www.amazon.com/Resistance-Heater-Kanthal-A-1-0-20mm/dp/B008R891XY

So that would be about 1 ohm per inch. So if you are aiming for 1.8 ohms I would start with a piece that is about 1 1/2 inches long and see how that goes.

You just have to get your Husband to find that Multi-Meter to know what is going on.

tobarger

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 28, 2010
NorthCoastOhio
32ga Kanthal A1 is rated at 1.2ohm per inch
So 1.5 inch will equal 1.8ohm

Setup as two equal proportions
(1/X)=(1.2/1.8) and solve for X

1(1.8)=1.2(X) --> 1.8/1.2=X --> 1.5=X

The resistance of a coil is not determined by the number of coils
It is determined by the length of the resistance wire used to make it

Last edited:

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Awesome...Thanks zoiDman!!!

Sure thing.

Once you get a head that works Perfect and has the Exact Ohms you want, Unwrap it and Measure how long it is. Then cut a Piece of Heavy Paper like a 3-x-5 Card the Length of the Wire.

Then you can use the Piece of Paper as a Template to cut as many Pieces of Wire as you like without having to Measure again.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
32ga Kanthal A1 is rated at 1.2ohm per inch
So 1.5 inch will equal 1.8ohm
The resistance of a coil is not determined by the number of coils
It is determined by the length of the resistance wire used to make it

Length is what does it.

But the Number of Coils is Kinda wrapped up in the length. Pun Intended.

tobarger

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 28, 2010
NorthCoastOhio
Resistance in Ohms/inch for the Resistance Wires

Kanthal Grade------- A-1 ------ A -------- D ----- Nichrome 60 -------- Nichrome 80

30 awg (ohm/in)----- 0.7 ------ 0.7 ------ 0.7 -------- 0.6 ---------------- 0.5
31 awg (ohm/in)----- 0.9 ------ 0.9 ------ 0.8
32 awg (ohm/in)----- 1.2 ------ 1.1 ------ 1.1 -------- 0.9 ---------------- 0.9
33 awg (ohm/in)----- 1.4 ------ 1.4 ------ 1.3
34 awg (ohm/in)----- 1.8 ------ 1.8 ------ 1.7 -------- 1.4 ---------------- 1.4
35 awg (ohm/in)----- 2.3 ------ 2.2 ------ 2.1
36 awg (ohm/in)----- 2.9 ------ 2.8 ------ 2.7 -------- 2.3 ---------------- 2.1

Last edited:

BethAnn

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
Over Yonder, Texas
www.facebook.com
Great info!...kinda off topic but i just made a cotton ball wick also...LOL, just measured it at about 1.5 ohms (3 wraps). Need to wait for more juice to come in before i try it out. When i first read that thread about that guy making a cotton ball wick i thought he was joking...but as i read more about it, seems like it works great for those who have tried it. Can't wait to try mine out :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread