Oct 2, 2010
Nevada

hildicat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 28, 2011
SoCal
Cotton is working quite well in my viv nova. the hard part for me was determining the right density of cotton. I've had the best results with 100% cotton roll, purchased from CVS near the first aid supplies. it looks like what you might find if you tore open a couch cushion. i just take a very small piece, just one thin layer, about .75 inch wide and roughly 3 inches long, then roll it between my palms to form a rope. then line it up with a pin and wrap my wire in the center. add it to my vivi head then cut the ends to length. works a treat. oh, make sure your hands a squeaky clean. the cotton has a tendency to pick up any 'flavor' that may be on your hands. cheesecloth is also quite good, but i have trouble keeping all the little threads neat. they would usually catch around my wire, not so with the cotton roll. next up for me to try is 100% cotton candle wick. the only down side for me is that it has to be boiled before use.

HappyTimeHarry

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2012
Cedar Park, TX
So I went to CVS and found rolled absorbent cotton. It doesn't say anywhere that it is 100% cotton, but I think this is what I am looking for. I didn't see anything else there that would be it. On the box it says "sterile USP" and says it is for surgical use. I think it is what hildicat was talking about. It has layers of very delicate, thin cotton. I was able to roll it up into a rope and make a coil. I just wanted to make sure it is okay to vape. Can anyone confirm that this is what they use?

rotohammer

ECF Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
NJ USA
So I went to CVS and found rolled absorbent cotton. It doesn't say anywhere that it is 100% cotton, but I think this is what I am looking for. I didn't see anything else there that would be it.

Does it look like gauze or cheese cloth? If so its good. If it looks like cotton balls, its usable but not as easy to work with and get good results. I've used it and had to try a few times, decreasing the amount each time until it produced enough vapor.

HappyTimeHarry

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2012
Cedar Park, TX
It's more like the stuffing of a couch cushion like what was mentioned above. There are very thin layers of cotton. I just rolled one up and wrapped a coil around it. It's working quite well right now actually, but you're right, it was difficult to use. It took me awhile to figure out a method that worked. I think I'll go buy some cheese cloth when I get the time and see if that is easier.

vikeme28

ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2012
Waste Lands
It's more like the stuffing of a couch cushion like what was mentioned above. There are very thin layers of cotton. I just rolled one up and wrapped a coil around it. It's working quite well right now actually, but you're right, it was difficult to use. It took me awhile to figure out a method that worked. I think I'll go buy some cheese cloth when I get the time and see if that is easier.

Best way to check is put a flame to it. If its 100% cotton. It will turn to ash right away.

Edstasic

Jun 16, 2010
Mexico
HappyTimeHarry: Please be careful with that cotton, so far until today i thought that was the way to go but then i found this video: SS Mesh/Cotton hybrid wick - YouTube and one of the commenters mentioned that cotton being full with chemicals (its a very short list of comments so its easy to find his comment and even my reply)i dont know what he meant by that i asked for source and im still waiting, his YT username is "Rip Trippers" (not the author of the video in that link, hes a commentator in that video and he has his own videos reviewing lots of juices, etc,) i dont know him so i dont know if he is well informed (he might) but this is the first time i hear that about USP sterile cotton wicks, so i would strongly suggest to wait a bit for a reply, hopefully we might get one soon.

Hibiscuits

Moved On
Jul 9, 2012
Bastrop, Texas
HappyTimeHarry: Please be careful with that cotton, so far until today i thought that was the way to go but then i found this video: SS Mesh/Cotton hybrid wick - YouTube and one of the commenters mentioned that cotton being full with chemicals (its a very short list of comments so its easy to find his comment and even my reply)i dont know what he meant by that i asked for source and im still waiting, his YT username is "Rip Trippers" (not the author of the video in that link, hes a commentator in that video and he has his own videos reviewing lots of juices, etc,) i dont know him so i dont know if he is well informed (he might) but this is the first time i hear that about USP sterile cotton wicks, so i would strongly suggest to wait a bit for a reply, hopefully we might get one soon.

Unless you are buying Organic cotton (and even still), all cotton is processed, cleaned and bleached. Your gauze, cotton batting, cotton balls, cheese cloth...everything.... it is just the way cotton is manufactured. Cotton is not ice white off the plant ;) Close, but not solid ice white. Even with organic cotton, it is processed and bleached, but hydrogen peroxide is used. All cotton is sprayed with defoliator so that the plant will drop it's leaves and make harvesting easier. Most cotton is also GMO.

I'm just starting to play with rebuilding wick/coils and have about a dozen left in a bag of regular ol J&J's white cotton balls that I am going to start with. I will boil them first before use. I'm going to pick up a bag of organic cotton balls (Walgreens) and use those when these run out (boiling still) until spring when I can go out and pick my own cotton (this area is highly farmed for cotton) before it is sprayed with defoliator. If I find the pesticides and fertilizers used are not water soluable and will not boil away then I will grow my own in my garden. A small 5x5 patch will likely net me a lifetime of wick. I grew my own tobacco, so why not? hehe

I'm not really worried about the 'processing' of cotton cause either way it's still better than smoking analogs. Now.... to just make sure I'm doing this right :lol::lol:

Last edited:

artbyshan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 6, 2012
Chattanooga, TN
This is what I bought to try in the Vivi Nova. Got it off of e-bay from a company in TN for $4.99 (Free Shipping). I'm still going to boil it though (Just to be on the safe side).

IMG_1907.jpg IMG_1908.jpg

Hibiscuits

Moved On
Jul 9, 2012
Bastrop, Texas
This is what I bought to try in the Vivi Nova. Got it off of e-bay from a company in TN for $4.99 (Free Shipping). I'm still going to boil it though (Just to be on the safe side).

View attachment 135900 View attachment 135901

Would be interested in hearing how this works out for the Vivi's. Checked ebay, several sellers have this. 220' for $5 is awesome!

smitighe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2012
Baltimore
I got 120 yards of it today for 1.59 at Michaels (local craft superstore). I have yet to try it but it seems to be about the same size as I see most 3mm silica. I will keep yall up to date on how it works. I dripped some juice on it to see how well it would wick and it seemed to be very absorbent. Now the question is, is will it perform the way I want it too. I just don't see why I should buy silica wick for as much as its sold for if there are other options. Curious to see how it will work. cotton balls, hmmmmm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread