Not open for further replies.

Dj Xy

I'm winning like Charlie
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2011
baltimore, maryland
Quick question

Atty's arrive filled with fluid that must be removed before using. After cleaning my used Atty's (nice techniques by the way), do I have to add PG or something to keep them most if I'm not using them straight a way, or will they be all right just dry?
I put a couple drop of unflavored PG in mine after cleaning to keep them from drying out.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
Quick question

Atty's arrive filled with fluid that must be removed before using. After cleaning my used Atty's (nice techniques by the way), do I have to add PG or something to keep them most if I'm not using them straight a way, or will they be all right just dry?
That's a good question, and I don't think we have a definitive answer.

Logically, I would say no need to bother, as I can't see why they would need to be kept moist.
But maybe a protective coating could help prevent any rust, although I don't see why they would rust either.

Maybe someone will come along with a compelling reason.

br5495

Old Man Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
May 24, 2010
Liberty, Texas
That's a good question, and I don't think we have a definitive answer.

Logically, I would say no need to bother, as I can't see why they would need to be kept moist.
But maybe a protective coating could help prevent any rust, although I don't see why they would rust either.

Maybe someone will come along with a compelling reason.

Heck, DC2. I don't know of a compelling reason why a manufacturer puts that stuff in an atomizer to begin with. None of the cartomizers have it.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
Heck, DC2. I don't know of a compelling reason why a manufacturer puts that stuff in an atomizer to begin with. None of the cartomizers have it.
According to Rolygate, that stuff is leftover manufacturing residues such as cutting fluid.
So if that were the case, it isn't so much something they put on as something they fail to remove.

Nietzsc

ECF Veteran
Sep 27, 2009
México
Yeah, this method is the best to clean an atty, a Joye510 or a 306 will last forever with this process. I just wanted to share something, I don't know if it has been covered before on the forum but...

I've been trying different atomizers or systems (DCT, Vision, Vivi Nova. I know, I'm too late to the party) but the thing is that my 510 attys haven't seen so much activity because of that. So, what I've noticed is that if you leave a used atty lying arround, the juice that is inside is going to oxydize and turn brown, so when you want to use it again you get a very weak performance, even if you add new juice to it.

Don't think that your atomizer is dead, you just have to remove the old juice and clean it with a nice rinse-dry burn process and your atty will be just like new!!

Last edited:

Nietzsc

ECF Veteran
Sep 27, 2009
México
So it turns brown from oxidation?
That explains a lot!

I blow out my atomizer almost every morning...
And I almost always notice the juice coming out is darker than the juice that went in.

Well, at least that is what I understand, but oxidation or not I have always the same result after an atty sits in my desk for at least three days without using it, even putting condoms on it won't avoid this to happen. I guess I got the oxydation thing from a video of SteelJan.

ohnoitsthomas

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 2, 2012
United States
www.ohnofiasco.com
This has been the only method so far that has really worked for me. I use primarily use 100% VG which really gunks these little guys up, it gets to the point where it goes from tasting burnt to flooded in one drop of my Boba's Bounty. This method cleared that right up with no issues.

Jacoji

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 1, 2013
Portland, OR
I just ordered an ultrasonic cleaner from Amazon. I have an espresso machine with a steam wand and a 95 degree celsius water dispenser so no need for spending the extra money on a heated unit (and most heated models seemed to be far too large for my needs).

Thanks to the OP for the instructions and all the comments of personalized methods.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread