Vaping in a "You can't smoke here" world.

Status
Not open for further replies.

blueskies

May 17, 2012
Minnesota
I decided to go back to school. During orientation I stepped outside to vape. I wasn't sure how people would react to vaping inside so I took it outside. The security guard thought I was smoking and came running outside to tell me I was smoking too close to the doors and I had to go around the corner of the building to the smoking section. I tried to explain that I wasn't smoking. He didn't get it.

At work I'm the boss so I can vape when and where I want and not have to worry about it. Does anyone have any advice on how to educate people that there is no such thing as second hand vapor? (at least not that I know of) Does any one just blatantly take out their ecig and vape at work, at school, in restraints or bars? If you do what do you say if confronted by someone? Should I get permission from the school before I give it a try inside, or should I continue to take it outside?

I apologize if there is a thread that already discusses this. If there is I didn't see it. Feel free to point me in the right direction.

balbrt1

ECF Veteran
Jul 14, 2012
Illinois
I can not help you but I am sure someone will soon. Just wanted to say congrats and welcome aboard. I never vape where I can not smoke. I usually go to the smoking areas even though I do not smoke just vape but where I am from I have never seen anyone with a e-cig. I just don't want explain to everyone and they just look at me like I am nuts...lol Good luck..:)

rondasherrill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 19, 2012
Valhalla
Here has been my experience with e-cigs... If you treat it like a cigarette, people will react in kind. As in, if you step outside and be all careful about where you use it, people will assume it's something they should take steps to be careful around it/avoid it.

I vape mine whenever and wherever. I follow the "better to ask forgiveness than permission" thing. HOWEVER, remember to be courteous. If, after explaining what it is, they don't want it used in their establishment, then it's better that you don't use it. The fact is vaping is a new thing for most, and it is on the fence of being banned. The last thing vapers need is a bunch of people acting self righteous, and pissing off the wrong people.

briponi

Aug 7, 2012
California
This is an issue I've thought about too. Even at work, I'd rather take my e-cig outside than "go through the fight" in a break room or anywhere indoors. I guess this is the downside of the 808's being so similar to analogs? I want to say I don't care, but I do haha. Even as a smoker, I made a point of going far away so I didn't bother anyone. I guess those habits are dying hard as well?

I did make a point of ordering mine with a blue LED on the end so it was less likely to be misconstrued as a cigarette. What color LED do you have, blueskies? Maybe a red/orange makes it harder for them to understand? That is, even though there's no smell of smoke, they see the red light and are convinced it's a cigarette anyways?

blueskies

May 17, 2012
Minnesota
Thanks for the feedback. I have a blue LED. I never thought about using that to help explain what an ecig is. I was always been a very polite smoker. I made sure I did not bother anyone with my habit. I live in Minnesota and I am not looking forward to have to continue to go outside in the middle of the winter. I do like the "better to ask forgiveness than permission" concept. I guess all they can do is tell you to stop and take it outside.

I have vaped in a bar before. I did get some strange looks but nobody complained.

Hopefully more people will share their thoughts.

rondasherrill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 19, 2012
Valhalla
Thanks for the feedback. I have a blue LED. I never thought about using that to help explain what an ecig is. I was always been a very polite smoker. I made sure I did not bother anyone with my habit. I live in Minnesota and I am not looking forward to have to continue to go outside in the middle of the winter. I do like the "better to ask forgiveness than permission" concept. I guess all they can do is tell you to stop and take it outside.

I have vaped in a bar before. I did get some strange looks but nobody complained.

Hopefully more people will share their thoughts.

I live in a very rural area, and no one around here knows what it is. When I vaped during my last job interview, they asked me if it was a crack pipe! Of course my thoughts ran to why I would smoke crack in public(not that I've ever smoked it at all)... After explaining what it was, we talked about the health benefits and stuff, and I got that job.

I think that if we all "act" like it is a cig then we are the ones loosing. I can see going outside of a school, but going away from the door or to a smoking area is pushing it big time. It is not smoking so no reason to go to that area. As far a a bar, well I help a friend with his bar every weekend and I vape in there all the time. If someone doesnt like it, I would pretty much tell them to get over it or show them were the door is. I feel once you start to bend over for these people they WILL take advantage and once you start back up they will have you backing up forever. Stand up to them and dont let them turn vaping into a bad thing like they did smoking.

Tarnacc

ECF Veteran
Jul 15, 2011
south texas
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, quacks like a duck... Must be a duck.

I dont think I have ever and would never vape in what might be construed as a "smoking area". People form firm and lasting beliefs on what they initially percieve regardless of how far off the mark they are. If someones first exposure to ecigs is by seeing someone vaping shoulder to shoulder with someone smoking then they will from that point forward equate ecigs with smoking. A perfectly logical assumption... to them.

I do not make it a point to intentionaly vape around people but I dont make an effort to hide it either. I do make some concessions to soften the blow or demonstrate that this IS NOt smoke. I will often stealth vape in a store to demonstrate to anyone curoious enough to be watching that this is not smoke. "What is that guy doing?" "I dont know but it isnt smoke cause smoke doesnt do that, and it isnt on fire because he just dropped it right in to his pocket."

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Here is a post I made in a Similar thread.

Not a Debate or an Opinion. Just something that Happened to me Related to Teaching and School.

-----

I teach at a college and Many of my students know that I am a former Smoker who now uses e-Cigarettes. I had a student two semesters ago ask if he could vape During class? I told him No.

He was polite but wanted to know what the reason was. I told him that our College has a No e-Cigarette use policy on campus Policy (Parking Lots and Cars is Fine) so it really wasn’t my decision to make.

I asked him if he could get through a Two Hour class without taking a hit of his e-Cigarette? He said “Yeah, But I think about it All the Time.” I asked him if he had his PV with him right now and he pulled out an eGo from his Shirt Pocket.

I told him that Maybe he wouldn’t think about it so much if he Didn’t carry his PV to class? I asked him try something. To leave his PV in his car when he came to my class and see if it helped. He kinda looked at me funny but said he would try it.

I never said anything else to him about it but for the next couple of weeks every time I would come into class I would look at him and Wink while I pointed at my Shirt Pocket. I think the rest of the class though I was Crazy.

On the day of the Mid-Term, the student said he wanted to talk with me after class. After all the exams were turned in he told me that he had been leaving his PV in his car when he was on campus. He said that he wasn’t constantly thinking about taking a Hit or Stealth Vaping much anymore. And that he could concentrate more not only on my class but All his classes. I told him that was Great because he was somewhat struggling with the course material in my class. (Some people just have a hard time with Math.)

He also said that he was starting to leave his PV in his car when he went to the Mall, to Movies and to Restaurants.

I didn’t talk much with him for the rest of the semester. When I did it was always about some Math Concepts.

About the last week of classes I was getting out of my car when I saw a Student running towards me waving their arms a shouting something. Trust me. A student Waving their Arms and Shouting is Seldom a Good Thing. But it was my student and he had this Big ....ty Grin on his face.

He told me that two days ago he got to campus and realized that he had left his PV at home. He said that he was going to drive home after his Chem class to get it. But after class he had gone to the Library to study Math and it was about a Hour into his studying until he realized that he still didn’t have his PV. He decided just to stay on campus and study Instead of going home for the PV. That this was the first time in a Year of vaping that he had Not Freaked Out or Rushed home to get his PV.

He went on to say that he didn’t Stealth Vape anymore and if he was busy doing something, that he could go for Hours before he “Needed” to take a Hit. He was so Animated and kept wanting to shake my hand.

He ended up getting a “C” in the class. But when I saw him the following semester he said he wanted a “B” but was OK with the Grade because he learned something Very Important. And it didn’t have Anything to do with Math.

---

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV

This is not relevant. It's not about whether someone can go without vaping for hours or days. We know you view vaping and smoking as exactly the same thing and should be shunted off to dark corners and hidden from view just like smoking.

rondasherrill and Harold Smith made excellent points in their comments. If we act like vaping is the same as smoking and that it is harmful to others, that is how it will be perceived. This is how those who want vaping banned view it and are thrilled when vapers believe and act the same way. Perception is reality. Most of us vets believe we should vape openly but respectfully and be prepared to intelligently educate the uninformed.

Last edited:

ellendiane

Verified Member
Aug 9, 2012
PORTLAND

Your college is very advanced to have an e-cig policy!

For myself, I am going to a community college in Portand, OR, and all our community colleges have banned smoking anywhere on campus. I don't vape in the classroom (it would be a distraction) but during breaks I go outside, find the nearest place to sit, and vape away. Campus security, who are in charge of handing out smoking tickets, smile as they walk or ride by me, and none of the students care at all.

One teacher who was about a half mile away (exaggeration) started yelling and flailing her arms, and I just shouted back over at least a couple hundred feet, VAPORIZER! She didn't say oh, sorry, but she turned around and went back into her classroom.

I have a reo mod now, so it doesn't look like a cigarette, but I find calling it a vaporizer, rather than trying to explain the terrm e-cig, helps.

BTW, I am the ONLY one I have seen vaping on campus! I am surprised- I am in my 50's and thought all the 'kids' would be doing it : )

PS What's a trackback?

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
This is not relevant. It's not about whether someone can go without vaping for hours or days. We know you view vaping and smoking as exactly the same thing and should be shunted off to dark corners and hidden from view just like smoking.

rondasherrill and Harold Smith made excellent points in their comments. If we act like vaping is the same as smoking and that it is harmful to others, that is how it will be perceived. This is how those who want vaping banned view it and are thrilled when vapers believe and act the same way. Perception is reality. Most of us vets believe we should vape openly but respectfully and be prepared to intelligently educate the uninformed.

Your entailed to your Opinion wv2win.

If you think the Best thing to do is to Vape in Public Places like Schools, don’t let me stop you.

ellendiane

Verified Member
Aug 9, 2012
PORTLAND
This is not relevant. It's not about whether someone can go without vaping for hours or days. We know you view vaping and smoking as exactly the same thing and should be shunted off to dark corners and hidden from view just like smoking...

Ouch! I would like to chat and share experiences without worrying about the relevancy of my thoughts being judged... of course I am over 50 :drool:

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Your college is very advanced to have an e-cig policy!

For myself, I am going to a community college in Portand, OR, and all our community colleges have banned smoking anywhere on campus. I don't vape in the classroom (it would be a distraction) but during breaks I go outside, find the nearest place to sit, and vape away. Campus security, who are in charge of handing out smoking tickets, smile as they walk or ride by me, and none of the students care at all.

One teacher who was about a half mile away (exaggeration) started yelling and flailing her arms, and I just shouted back over at least a couple hundred feet, VAPORIZER! She didn't say oh, sorry, but she turned around and went back into her classroom.

I have a reo mod now, so it doesn't look like a cigarette, but I find calling it a vaporizer, rather than trying to explain the terrm e-cig, helps.

BTW, I am the ONLY one I have seen vaping on campus! I am surprised- I am in my 50's and thought all the 'kids' would be doing it : )

PS What's a trackback?

I’ve got some Family in the Grants Pass area. My Aunt on my Mom’s side was a K-6 Teacher who doesn’t Smoke.

But even She, and Many other Non-Smoking Teachers, feels that what is going on in Oregon Right Now is Too Extreme.

Our Campus policy on e-Cig use was something that has been in the works for some time. It seems to strike a good Balance of that was considered as Fair Use.

Last edited:

mostapha

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2012
Atlanta, GA
My standard line: "It's not smoke, it's vapor. There's nothing in it that isn't also in food and medicine except nicotine, which carries no more health risks than coffee and has more benefits."

Then, if it's a private residence or business or anywhere smoking would be prohibited: "If you'd still like me to go somewhere else or stop, I'll be happy to. But I want you to know that nothing you know about smoking applies to what I'm doing."

If they tell me where a smoking area is: "No thanks. I don't want to expose myself to second hand smoke. Unlike what they do, what I do doesn't harm anyone and has no effect on anynoe else."

That usually works, but if they ask for details, I have citations stored in my phone and give them a reading list. So far, no one's cared enough to even take the reading list. If the conversation gets that far without them getting huffy, I've already won. If they end it by not caring what I have to say, having a team of scientists with conference presentations ready to defend me wouldn't have changed their outlook.

Last edited:

rondasherrill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 19, 2012
Valhalla
hahahahaha

LOL What? I don't hide my vaping from anyone. I don't blow clouds in their face. Im considerate enough to turn my head and exhale. No way they can confuse a Provari for a cigarette, and no way they can confuse the vapor for smoke, when it smells like a raspberry chiller.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread