rash caused by e- cig

Status
Not open for further replies.
i quit smoking jan 1 of this year. i went with the e-cig vapor 51 to help me quit. my body broke out with a rash that was leaking a clear fluid out of it. i went to dr. after dr. but no one could tell me what was causing it. 7 monthes later i have found out it from the e-cig. if you have had this problem i would like to hear from you. thanks, bob

jonnypanic

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 24, 2012
Arlington, VA
Were they hives? Some people react to PG, have heard that some react to VG, though I would imagine that is less common.
There are a lot of juice options out there and since you were a smoker it obviously isn't a problem with nicotine, so you might be able to experiment with some quality, trustworthy juices - maybe even an organic one.

Nunnster

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 16, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Sometimes when you quit smoking, your body does weird things. I myself got "smokers flu" and then shortly after I got a bunch of sores inside my mouth. After a few weeks everything was fine and dandy tho. It might be an allergic reaction to PG/VG or maybe one of the flavors you were vaping you had a bad reaction too.

angiehope

Dec 11, 2011
Mississippi Gulf Coast
This definitely sounds like it was some kind of allergic reaction, probably to juice?

I have an autoimmune disease where my body reacts to stupid things. When I first quit smoking in December 2011, I got sick as a dog - for months. I guess it's what someone already called "smoker's flu?" My head was draining globs of glunk, I was coughing, I was weak, but yet, I felt better in a weird way, as well. It took months to finally get 30-plus years of smoking out of my body, and now I rarely have any head colds, etc., like I used to have all the time. But my autoimmune disease (called mastocytosis) is probably what kicked the smoker's flu into high gear. My body did a "OMG, she's stopped smoking. We have to invade ... something, anything and protect her!" and I got so sick.

Now, if someone comes around me with some horrible, catchable disease, my body will invite the bad stuff right in and probably hand 'em a beer. Bodies can be soooo stupid.

To the OP, I'd definitely say do some experimenting. When I started vaping, I was sure I must be allergic to the juice, but, in the end, I wasn't.

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
i went with the e-cig vapor 51 to help me quit.

Bob, I take it that is a pre-filled cartridge?

If you can write to that company and get list of ingredients (at least what they consider non-proprietary), and unless your doctor can see what those ingredients are, it seems very odd that he would dismiss e-cig out-of-pocket as being the cause of your rash.

It could have been the filler in the cartridge, the flavoring in that particular brand, the pg or vg......any number of things.

If you are okay with quitting and have kicked your nicotine habit already then that would be best. However, if you enjoyed vaping, I would encourage you to experiment further.

You can get 100% VG + Organic flavorings, and just drip into an atomizer (cleanest way, you have removed the filler, wicks etc. from the equation) and see what happens. Or get a bottom feeder to perform the same basic function so you don't have to do manually.

I think your doctor is knee jerking a little here, in other words, they always ask you "what has changed?" and want to know about anything new you are doing that you weren't doing before the rash. But what I'm saying is that you have't really sluiced down exactly WHAT it is about vaping that started giving you a rash.

I get sick from dairy, soybean oil, and some fruit sugars, and it took me an entire year of elimination diet to find that out! Ingredient by ingredient.

RosaJ

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2012
The Woodlands, TX, USA
I read your post yesterday and during the day a thought came to me. Are you taking any medications? If so, do they contain nicotine or a similar compound? If you are, just call your pharmacist about any medication you're taking. It could be that you're overdosing on nic unknowingly. Again, it's just a thought. Good luck!

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
First I eliminated the PGin the liquid
2nd I eliminated the PG in the liquid and the flavoring
3rd I went organic and eliminated the Artificial Flavorings.

3rd time was the trick. Allergies went away.

Good to know......if it can keep people vaping and off the cancer sticks, it's great.

BTW, can you PM or list the vendors you use that qualify under these criteria? I would really like to know, I have food allergies so I can't be too careful.

niczgreat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 5, 2009
Chino California
Good to know......if it can keep people vaping and off the cancer sticks, it's great.

BTW, can you PM or list the vendors you use that qualify under these criteria? I would really like to know, I have food allergies so I can't be too careful.

If you'd like to purchase the e-juice already made than
Vaperite and Virgin Vapor are excellent places to purchase juice.

If you want to DIY it's so simple that it's braindead.

Step 1. Purchase your Nic Base from RTS Vapes or Wizard Labs.
If you want to make lower strength Juice RTS also sells excellent quality plain VG

Step 2.Purchase your flavoring from Vaperite in the DIY under Flavor Concentrates sells 6ml bottles for $5.00 of the flavoring. You must be careful to choose only the flavors that say organic.

Step 3. Obtain a 30ml Glass Bottle (1 Oz)
Hopefully you have empty 30ml bottles around. I suggest glass. If not than
American Science & Surplus : Search Results for "dropper bottles" you will find the 1oz (1oz = 30ml) childproof dropper here dirt cheap. But they have a minimum order size so you have to buy other stuff.

Or you could purchase from High Dessert Vaper
Welcome to High Desert Ecigs! - High Desert Ecigs
Look for the glass 30 ml bottle
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Once you've bought your ingredients the next step is to mix them

The formula is Super easy.
Step 1. Pour the 6ml of Vaperite Organic Flavoring into the 30ml bottle
Step 2. , Fill the rest of the bottle up to the top with your 100% VG Nicotine solution.
(If using berry flavor than use 1/2 the bottle because they are strong.) I recommend the Kona Cream as a first flavor, it's out of this world.

Step 3. Shake it up

Step 4. Start vaping. Sometimes the e-liquid will be cloudy. Don't worry about it, it still vapes fine. You'll also notice that it will clear up in a day or two. Some will let the liquid sit for a week to blend the flavors. This is called steeping and usually isn't necessary.

By the way Eric at Discount Vapers will shortly be carrying Organic flavorings and his prices are going to be much better than Vaperite. Save the little 6ml bottles that they will give you because you can use them as measuring bottles if you buy flavorings in larger Qty than 6ml.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Pricing DIY compared to already mixed.

Vaperite is selling a 60 ml bottle of e-liquid for around 35.00 this translates to $17.50 per 30ml
Virgin Vapor is selling 30ml for $22.00

If you DIY you'll end up making a 30ml bottle of E-Juice for around $8.00 or $9.00 a bottle. And that will go down once Discount Vapers starts carrying organic.

Any questions feel free to PM me and I'll come back to the thread to answer them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread