Stacked batteries?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nodnerb

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 8, 2011
Winnipeg
I was wondering if the concensus was still that stacked batteries are more of a danger than single bats? I havent been on here for about 6 months but still vaping. I was looking specifically at the vmax that uses stacked batteries but recall hearing before that stacking had a higher chance of a battery blowing up. Whats the word?
Thanks.

Nomoreash

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2010
Chattanooga, TN
I've been stacking batteries since I started vaping and never had an issue but I'm a bit of a stickler about it. I only use the correct battery for the application, mark my batteries, use the same two together that are purchased at the same time so they will both age together, rotate them each cycle and never let them get to low in voltage.

My personal thought is if they are used in a device with the proper safety features and the user practices the recommended guidelines for using them then they are low risk-nothing is no risk.
If the user is the type to just put batteries in a mod and that's it then that's not a very good way to go.

Last edited:

Rader2146

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 11, 2012
Waco, TX
Stacked batteries are not dangerous, the user is.

Trying to vape at >3amps on batteries that only rated for <2A is dangerous. When done smartly, and within reason, they are no more dangerous than a single battery. Do your homework, know the specifications of your batteries and the kinds of stress that your particular style of vaping is going to put on them.

Edit: Couple of quick facts. Laptop battery packs usually have 4-6 18650's "stacked". E-bikes have dozens of 18650 or larger, "stacked". Hybrid and Full electric cars can have as many as 180 18650's ,or larger, "stacked".

Last edited:

Rader2146

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 11, 2012
Waco, TX
Burst into flames, but nothing really bad happened? :confused: Flames sound pretty bad.

So did the battery explode? Or did it do what is was designed to do in the event of a failure and vent its pressure before catastrophe?

Also, how were you using this mod? Resistance? Type of batteries? Age of batteries? Sorry for all the questions, but your post doesn't add a whole lot to the discussion.

Last edited:

Modnar

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 27, 2012
Denmark
www.octopusecig.com
Burst into flames, but nothing really bad happened? :confused: Flames sound pretty bad.

So did the battery explode? Or did it do what is was designed to do in the event of a failure and vent its pressure before catastrophe?

Also, how were you using this mod? Resistance? Type of batteries? Age of batteries? Sorry for all the questions, but your post doesn't add a whole lot to the discussion.

I mean no one got hurt and the cube didn't get damaged (The spring kinda collapse on itself, and I had to clean the tube to get rid of the smell of smoke though)

I used two blue 16340 joyetech batteries. (they were a couple of months old, but I only used them one time before)

Not sure what happened, the tube just got hot as hell and smoke started coming out from the vent holes.

I didn't have anything on the tube.

I had just put a fresh set of batteries in it, and it just got super hot instantly. (I mean from nothing to burning hot in maybe 2 seconds)

Don't think the batteries exploded, but I didn't really bother to check them. (the wrapping around the batteries completely melted away)

Last edited:

ZW99GT

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 31, 2012
DFW
Stacked batteries are always MORE dangerous (when used dangerously) than a single cell. Most lithium batteries from China with that shiny new label are sometimes reconditioned or used re-branded cells. Some batches of cells come from the "factory" with different capacities and therefore internal resistances. Always use two "like" cells to stack and keep them together. Charge together and drain together always. Use them in your device, and regularly check their voltages to ensure they are always similar (use for 10 minutes and ensure both are at the same 4.XX V). The danger would be to get two cells that are vastly different or of different starting charges (like a 3.5V battery paired with a fully charged cell) and have one cell reverse charge the other. Another fear would be one cell going completely dead and becoming an open circuit. A protected battery likely prevents any of the above mishaps and more 99% of the time.

Li-on safety is extremely important, but grossly over exaggerated. Just counting Cell phones and Laptops alone, there are BILLIONS of 3.7V Li-on batteries out there today that people rarely take care of at all. Did you know most laptop batteries have 6 unprotected 3.7V 18650 batteries inside of the pack? I have 25+ 18650's and about 10 Trustfire Flames total of every size available, some for over 4 years, and have yet to have a mishap, or even a dead cell thus far. These are used in high drain Flashlights that sometimes run for 30mins at 2+ amps/cell with crazy heat from the emitter. I have several 2x 18650 series lights that make 15-20W and I have not yet run into a pair of cells that didn't get along.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Thanks for all of the advice everyone. I have ordered a gunmetal vamx and will follow all of the precautions suggested here.

Just remember it's not so much the Device as it is the Batteries and how there used when it comes to Stacked Battery Safety.

Buy Good Batteries and let us know how you like your VMAX when it arrives..

rotohammer

ECF Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
NJ USA
I'll bite. One potential issue with stacked batteries is when installed inside a conductive metal tube. If the upper battery were to have a damaged wrapper, it could make contact with the APV tube inner wall, which effectively shorts the lower cell. This scenerio can't happen with a single cell.

This doesn't prevent me from using my Vmax. I treat my batteries with care and always look for nicks in the wrapper. It might not be a bad idea to insert a thin plastic sleeve in the battery chamber, depending on the gap available.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread