801 vs 510 batteries, and, 3 hole vs slotted cartomizers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tolver

Aug 12, 2012
San Francisco
Aloha all, new Vaper here with some questions.

I started with an 801 Pen kit, and upgraded to a Dual Coil Tank with a 510 kit. I also got a 801 battery -to- 510 tank adaptor, so I could continue to get life out of my 801 batteries. First off, I seem to get better performance from my adapted 801 batteries with the tank, than with the tank and the 510 batteries, so should I go with the mega 510 batteries in hopes that they will perform comparabily with the 801 batteries? Or just cut my losses and go with a more complex battery? Secondly, my tank came with a single hole pre-drilled 1.5 dual coil cartomizer, and having viewed 'how to' slot videos - I used a hack-saw to make a slot, and have found that way TOO much flow - so my tank now operates at 1/4 full or less to avoid flooding. (I found that taking the top off my juice bottle and inserting the intact flooded tank battery connection side into the juice bottle and blowing back through the mouthpiece, will eject the contents of the flooded cartomizer back into the juice bottle, saving the juice for later use, and then a light wipe of the battery connection and I am ready to continue vapeing.) So I am wondering about SmokTech XL Dual Coil Tank Cartomizer - 1.5ohm (3 Hole)? These come with 3 pre-drilled holes, and I was wondering if there was an opinion as to their usefullness over that of slotted cartomizers?

Thanx, Tolver.

Renzuli

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 27, 2011
North Las Vegas
I was having trouble with slots on my carto's , went to the pre-drilled ones , but some of them were running dry , so I bought a saddle valve from Home Depot (7.00 ) and punch a few of the holes a little bigger . Seems to be working fairly well . You can also just get regular cart's and punch them , as well . And as for the performance of some of your devices . You will find , as you move on in this journey , some things , IE tanks , carto's , etc seem to work on some devices , better than others , I have several different tanks , but I use certain one's on a particular PV , because it seems to work better . So on that issue , I really don't have a clear answer for you . Maybe someone else with more experience with you particular setup , will come by and offer some sound advice . Good Luck

Tolver

Aug 12, 2012
San Francisco
I have looked and can not find any videos describing the use of 3 hole cartomizers vs 1 hole models. I guess I will just have to buy some 3 holes and make my own video? However I REALLY would like for somebody with experience to give a detailed explanation of all the different ways to get juice into a dual coil tank. Thanx in advance. Thanx for your reply though...

GIMike

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 15, 2009
Around OKC, OK
I use the pre-drilled cartomizer and haven't had any issues so far. The number/size of holes can be based on the liquid used and personal preference. Some juices are thicker than others, and may require more/larger holes to keep the filler wet. So there's no set way to do the holes.

As for filling the DCT tanks, what I do, is remove the drip tip, slide the tank up just enough on the carto so that there's a gap between the carto and the inside rim, put the bottle on the edge, squeeze and fill. Just make sure it's going into the tank and not the carto.

Tolver

Aug 12, 2012
San Francisco
The number/size of holes can be based on the liquid used and personal preference. Some juices are thicker than others, and may require more/larger holes to keep the filler wet. So there's no set way to do the holes.

I have discovered that juice thickness depends on how hot the juice is - the longer I vape the thinner the juice becomes. I am highly considering going from a 6ml tank to several 3ml tanks, so that I can have 'cool' tanks to swap out when the juice becomes too hot and begins to flow quickly, so that I don't flood my rig. The big tank is great for not having to constantly re-fill, but the heat issue makes it impractical for a heavy vaper like myself.

GIMike

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 15, 2009
Around OKC, OK
I have discovered that juice thickness depends on how hot the juice is - the longer I vape the thinner the juice becomes. I am highly considering going from a 6ml tank to several 3ml tanks, so that I can have 'cool' tanks to swap out when the juice becomes too hot and begins to flow quickly, so that I don't flood my rig. The big tank is great for not having to constantly re-fill, but the heat issue makes it impractical for a heavy vaper like myself.

If your juice is getting too hot, I'm guessing you're using either LR cartos, or dual coil, or possibly LR dual coils. These do tend to run hotter than higher ohm cartos. You can counteract this with a VV device. This way it doesn't run as hot, and you get the same, or even better effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread