Status
Not open for further replies.

TBinAZ

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2012
Mesa
There are reports all over the place about the effects of nicotine. The nicotine in e-liquids is used to satisfy the 'addiction' part of trying break the combustible tobacco use. Lots of debate out there, and on ECF, just have to search a bit.

As far as your 'coughing' goes, it could be a number of things. E-liquid produces a vapor which is inhaled, and even though much better than conventional cigarette smoke, it is still something foreign to your lungs. Another possibility is that you may be having a reaction to either the PG or the VG additives. Maybe it's your lungs trying to rid themselves of prior tobacco tar buildup? Hard to say. Might be worth having a doctor check it out.

Since I started vaping e-liquid, I have not felt better than I have recently in a very long time.

betaalex

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 20, 2012
Queens, NY
Well, what is the % of nicotine in your juice? is it 12, 18, 24, 36? It sounds very much to me that your juce is way too strong and u should try to lower nicotine %.

And as far as nicotine safeness - from what I know it's like caffeine in coffee. Which basically means that every other day a read in the news that some group of pseudo-scientists did another pseudo-study and found that caffeine is bad, and next week seme group of pseudo-scientists does another pseudo-study and finds that caffeine is great. And this goes on for years.

And which again means that nicotine is generally safe (of course it's poisonous if abused) just like caffeine.

TBinAZ

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2012
Mesa
There are natural tobacco extract juices out there that more closely resemble tobacco but don't contain a lot of the harmful additives that processed tobacco contains.

The higher the nicotine count in e-liquid, the more throat hit experienced. Add that to the battery device and juice delivery device, the whole combination is responsible for the experience you get from your vape. It could possible be that you are experiencing poor vapes (dry, scratchy, hits from heck).

zuzette

ECF Veteran
Jul 29, 2012
Colorado
i coughed alot too at first. that cough went away and now vaping is much easier. i honestly KNOW vaping is less harmful than smoking. adjusting to the vapor might take a little time but its worth it.

last week i smoked two packs a day. today i have had 5 cigarettes. ive cut my ciarette use every day since i started vaping. i just have not wanted to smoke. even in just one week i see huge benefits. i dont cough in the morning. i can taste and smell things i totally was unaware of before.

it might help to do a kind of off hand inhale. take a mouth full of vapor and then breathe in through your nose. it helps and when you are more used to the vapor you will find you forget to breathe in through your nose.

hang in there. :)

Fiamma

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2012
So Calif
obviously its much safer than cigarettes, i dont think anyone besides philip morris would argue that. however, i do find myself coughing from it and i doubt it 100% safe. what is your opinion?

Are you still smoking?

How long have you been vaping exclusively if not smoking?

I hacked up half a lung in the month or so I quit stinkies. It was my lungs clearing out as much as they could of the accumulated junk that stinkies put down there for the 55 years I smoked them.

Most of my converts have reported the same thing. So if your nic level isn't too high and you aren't trying to vape at too high a voltage and you aren't getting dry hits, the coughing is most probably your lungs expelling the crud.

If it keeps up and you are SURE it isn't the voltage, not wet enough carts/clearos/atties, too high a nic, too high a PG ratio in the juice then see your Dr.

filter

ECF Veteran
Aug 14, 2012
California
Are you still smoking?

How long have you been vaping exclusively if not smoking?

I hacked up half a lung in the month or so I quit stinkies. It was my lungs clearing out as much as they could of the accumulated junk that stinkies put down there for the 55 years I smoked them.

Most of my converts have reported the same thing. So if your nic level isn't too high and you aren't trying to vape at too high a voltage and you aren't getting dry hits, the coughing is most probably your lungs expelling the crud.

If it keeps up and you are SURE it isn't the voltage, not wet enough carts/clearos/atties, too high a nic, too high a PG ratio in the juice then see your Dr.

ive only been vaping for about 5 days. in the interim i've had about 15 cigarettes, though only one today. i think part of the problem is im hitting it too hard. i need a better device and a higher nic mg and that should do the trick. i ordered a volt kit with fifteen 2.4% cartridges today. currently im using a crappier device and its only 1.8%.

betaalex

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 20, 2012
Queens, NY
ok, 1.8mg is generally OK and should not course any problems.

So my next suggestion is.... Well, transitional period from smoking to vaping is not so trivial for four body. It has to remove all the smoking junk as well as to adjust to the new "junk" (effects of vaping are not well sturdied yet, so quote marks).

And:

1. This transition takes time. Do not expect that all smoking junk will miraculously disappear from your body overnight. Or in a week, Or even in a month. I'd say 2-3 months,

2. During this transitional period anything can happen. In particular your health condition may slightly get worth! And maybe that's what u are experincing. Some other forum I read - they simplu have a policy that people with less then 3 month of vaping experience should stop complaining about their health issues. Here ESF it all may look rosy with people reporting that afer just 1 weak of vaping they feel like newborns - but this is not always the case!

So my suggestion is to approach vaping carefully. Nobody expecte y to stop smoking right away. U may just try to slowly try to phase vaping into your daily routine. And whach you body's reaction: is it adjusting or not

Foggy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 24, 2009
breaking my refresh button
I gave up in 2009 because of coughing. I started vaping again in Dec. 2011. It wasn't until July 13, 2012 that I completely quit cigarettes. It's taken me that long to fully adjust to vaping, to be 100% comfortable inhaling, to completely trust my equipment. I find that most smokers cough like crazy when I hand them my ecig, even though I warn them every time.

Give yourself time. Try different equipment and different juices. I thought for a while that I needed to increase the nicotine in order to be satisfied. In the end I reduced it to about 25 because I can now fully inhale at that level. As noted above there are a ton of factors that contribute to throat hit:

- PG versus VG, (PG is associated with more throat hit)
- nicotine strength
- voltage / wattage
- certain flavors, like my favorite cinnamon, have more throat hit

It's not necessary to figure everything out the day you start vaping. Some of us ease into it.

I also echo comments above. No one can say that vaping is 100% safe. You have to be the one to make that decision. For me, it was the only way to walk away from three packs a day.

filter

ECF Veteran
Aug 14, 2012
California
ok, 1.8mg is generally OK and should not course any problems.

So my next suggestion is.... Well, transitional period from smoking to vaping is not so trivial for four body. It has to remove all the smoking junk as well as to adjust to the new "junk" (effects of vaping are not well sturdied yet, so quote marks).

And:

1. This transition takes time. Do not expect that all smoking junk will miraculously disappear from your body overnight. Or in a week, Or even in a month. I'd say 2-3 months,

2. During this transitional period anything can happen. In particular your health condition may slightly get worth! And maybe that's what u are experincing. Some other forum I read - they simplu have a policy that people with less then 3 month of vaping experience should stop complaining about their health issues. Here ESF it all may look rosy with people reporting that afer just 1 weak of vaping they feel like newborns - but this is not always the case!

So my suggestion is to approach vaping carefully. Nobody expecte y to stop smoking right away. U may just try to slowly try to phase vaping into your daily routine. And whach you body's reaction: is it adjusting or not

i hear you. to be quite honest though, it kinda got off topic. i'm not having problems just a lil cranky from lack of cigs. the thread was more general as ppl's opinion of just how safe vaping is, in their opinion. in all honesty i already feel a little better after just a few days, besides all the hassle of dealing with low qual ecigs and not getting enough nic.

betaalex

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 20, 2012
Queens, NY
ive only been vaping for about 5 days. in the interim i've had about 15 cigarettes, though only one today. i think part of the problem is im hitting it too hard. i need a better device and a higher nic mg and that should do the trick. i ordered a volt kit with fifteen 2.4% cartridges today. currently im using a crappier device and its only 1.8%.

1. Yes, hitting too hard is not good. General vaping technique is to take long slow drags.
2. Maybe your cartridges are just empty and thus simply burning? Do u still feel any frafor fro them or just some burnt taste?
3. I also use Volt and it's really great. So hopefully once u get it everything will be sorted out

filter

ECF Veteran
Aug 14, 2012
California
1. Yes, hitting too hard is not good. General vaping technique is to take long slow drags.
2. Maybe your cartridges are just empty and thus simply burning? Do u still feel any frafor fro them or just some burnt taste?
3. I also use Volt and it's really great. So hopefully once u get it everything will be sorted out

with a fully charged battery and a new cartridge, i dont have any issues so its probably just overusing carts and/or trying to use it on a low charge.

WhiteClouds

Aug 15, 2012
Romania
I am a happy vaper for over 6 months. Analog free :) i smoked a pack of analogs per day for 11 years and boy do i feel a lot better now ! I can smell, i can taste and i can breathe much better... A whole lot better ! Running up the stairs doesn't feel like putting a bag over my head anymore.

My take on vaping: if vaping is like running in the middle of the street, smoking analogs is like running backwards in the middle of the street, 99% a car will hit ya hard.

Nothing is 100% safe but i personally experienced the advantages of vaping vs smoking analogs .... Huge difference!

Foggy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 24, 2009
breaking my refresh button
You have three different components to change around until you get the perfect vape.

1. Batteries: You are having problems as you lose power. So, you may need to step up to variable voltage. One of the key features is that they maintain the same voltage even as the battery discharges. I moved to variable voltage within a week. Of course, you can also crank it up if it doesn't have enough power.

Lower cost versions might be the Ego Twist (discount code Relocation for 7% savings) or an Ovale V.8. You can buy a vtube kit (aka lavatube) with a one year warranty for about $53 (use discount vtube30 at checkout), probably the best value in my opinion. Some people don't care for the size of it, but it give you options when it comes to power. They also make a mini. (You need to order an extra battery for either.)

2. Hold Your Juice: Cartomizer, Clearomizer, Atomizer:

I also found I had to constantly add juice to carts to keep them flavorful. It might have been that I didn't allow enough time for them to fully saturate. (I only use them in tanks now, which keeps them soaked.)

My path went like this:

cartomizers > clearomizers > tanks > atomizers

I still use both tanks and atomizers. Of course the problem with dripping is the need to add juice continually, or using a feeder system which is not an investment you want to make until you know for sure that you prefer dripping. (I never understood the claims that it had the best flavor until I used a good atomizer.)

Clearomizers have improved a lot even in the past six months. Maybe something like the Viva Nova tank or the Ego Clearomizer (requires ego threads or 510 to ego adapter) would be a good option. You can buy internal coil replacements for both for a few bucks.

3. Juice: If you're enjoying the flavor now, you may already have this one down. It can take forever to find your all day vape. However, some flavors might make you cough more than others, so keep that in mind as a possible solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread