Downloadable E-Juice Recipe Software App

Status
Not open for further replies.

desrtrat

ECF Veteran
May 21, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Hi all,

Being the dork that I am, I've developed a software application for creating and storing e-juice recipes. It's nothing fancy, just something I put together in my spare time. It will make amount calculations based on what percentage of each ingredient you want in your recipe. You can use 2 nicotine liquids and up to 3 flavorings currently (I may open it up and make it more flexible in the future.. but this is a 1.0 product haha). It will also print out the recipe and you can give it your own color scheme if you so choose.

I got frustrated with all the excel spread sheets (although they are very good..scubabatdan's ejucie calculator is legendary) floating around because I don't have excel installed at home and open office only works SOMETIMES for me. This application doesn't require anything except the Windows operating system and it's a pretty small app. Sorry Mac users, it's unlikely it will work for you, but you can try it if you have windows emulation of some sort. Below are some screen shots of the interface. I tried to keep it simple and relatively self explanatory but there's a help menu with basic instructions if you need it. It's geared more toward the person that's just getting into DIY mixing or someone that want's to keep track of bunches of recipes vs. some hard core mixing operation using a large number of ingredients.

I've tested this on XP and Vista and it's working great, but from my experience as a developer, you tend to look for certain things and the programmer doesn't necessarily make the best tester, so PLEASE let me know if you have any issues with the installation or use. My thanks goes to olderthandirt and MickiO for testing this application for me and providing some feedback. If you download (or have downloaded) this app, I would appreciate any feedback you give me (good or bad) in this thread or through PM.

Anyway, if anyone is interested, it is downloadable from this link:

Easy E-Juice Recipe Creator

Here are some screenshots so you know what it looks like and if it meets your needs.

Main interface form:

EasyEMain.jpg

Main Form showing dropdown list of stored recipes:

EasyEMainWDropdown.jpg

Preferences form that allows you to set some defaults and change your color scheme:

EasyEPrefs.jpg

This shows what the printed recipe looks like (maybe next time I can spell Strawberry correctly haha):

EasyEPrint.jpg

Thanks all,

desrtrat (aka Dan)

desrtrat

ECF Veteran
May 21, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Great initiative.

Is there a way to save recipes in some format that is easy to share? We could start building a huge recipe book over here with that: The ECF E-liquid Gourmet book.

Hi Mist, currently you could share the recipe files with someone else that has the same program (they have a .rcp extension and are located in the directory where you installed the application unless you changed their location through the "Preferences" menu), but you've touched on a good idea. I may put in an option to save as a more readable text file. I was lazy and made the recipes files more convenient for me to read them in to the program vs. share with others hahah I will post in this thread if I make any updates. Thanks for the idea!

Luv2CUSmile

ECF Veteran
Sep 30, 2009
NC
Hey! This seems cool- I am going to attempt to download in a minute...
Just a question or rather statement to sharing here... We could also just post a recipe we have made using this program when it has come out favorable...
Posting it in exact measurements calculated to what you used... and maybe an alternate version for those who use a PG/VG mix, for those who don't use alcohol, etc...
Would that be too difficult?
I do not DIY yet but will be ordering our kit this month... This seems like a great way to make a test batch too and get it to be the same amount of each ingredient whether you are making up 10 ml or 2 ml... I need to Dl the program and see- I am assuming you left values open for as small a batch needed or as large a batch...
Thx for sharing this!

Luv2CUSmile

ECF Veteran
Sep 30, 2009
NC
Heeey! I got it! Saved it to my desktop! Okay, and I know I should seek another thread now or start a new one...
Question...
What is the normal ratio of nic liquid to PG/Vg to flavoring??
I mean putting in these values is great but if I make a mix w/ way too much VG/PG it will be... well bad! Right?? Is there a rule of thumb somewhere to go by??
Thx everyone!

Mist_Of_Joye

ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2009
Beirut-Lebanon
Hi Mist, currently you could share the recipe files with someone else that has the same program (they have a .rcp extension and are located in the directory where you installed the application unless you changed their location through the "Preferences" menu), but you've touched on a good idea. I may put in an option to save as a more readable text file. I was lazy and made the recipes files more convenient for me to read them in to the program vs. share with others hahah I will post in this thread if I make any updates. Thanks for the idea!

Great desrtrat!

Ok, just one other suggestion that i forgot about earlier.

Since your lovely software might develop into a very useful platform, for everyone to share recipes, can you perhaps add to it the following options?

1- A space to mention in it the creator of the recipe so that every chef out there, might take due credit for his recipe.

2- Another space mentioning:

a-Better vaped at:

3.7 volts --------- with (x) atomizer
5 volts ----------- with (x) atomizer
6+ volts --------- with (x) atomizer

b-Recommended with:

-------(food or beverage)-----

c-Other recommendations:

------------------------------

Really nice software with lots of potential. :thumb:

Thanks desrtrat.

I think this thread should become sticky then...

Kurt

Quantum Vapyre
ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2009
Philadelphia
Thats great, I just ordered my first batch of juice and flavors ,this will come in handy. Does any one about how long it takes to get an order from TW they seem to be highly respected?

TW is generally 2-3 days. Sometimes 4. They are having a 15% off sale on everything, code = MEGAKIT. Makes the prices on attys and batts pretty good.

kinabaloo

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Desrtrat - looks good. I especially like the idea of a standard e-recipe format that could be easily shared. Include Mist-Of-Joye's ideas, plus, description field and may I strongly suggest XML (it's perfect and human readable; and using the .xml extension). If go with XML, fields and field sets can easily be added later. And easily read by spreadsheets, databases or other software, even on the Mac.

A simple XML :

<?xml version="1.0" ?>
<note>
<to>
<recipient>Tove</recipient>
<recipient>Kat</recipient>
</to>
<from>Jani</from>
<title>Reminder</title>
<msg>Don't forget me this weekend!</msg>
</note>

Last edited:

desrtrat

ECF Veteran
May 21, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
I really like the ideas I've seen in here! Mist and Kinabaloo...I think we can come up with something that would better serve everyone from a recipe sharing standpoint. I admit I hadn't really even considered that when I initially decided to write this. I like the xml idea Kinabaloo.. and Mist..Love the suggestions! haha If we go with the xml format as Kinabaloo has suggested, we could add anything we want. I'd have to dust off the cobwebs as it relates to parsing and working with xml files, but I'm not unfamiliar with working them....ok Kinabaloo, here is what the recipe files look like. they are human readable but admittedly, I didn't spend too much time designing a scalable solution. I wasn't sure if people would take to the idea of an application when there are several spread sheets out there...anyway, now that the disclaimer is done, here is a "Basic Recipe" recipe file:

Name: Basic Recipe
Drops Per Ml: 20
Amount To Make: 4
Ending Nicotine Level: 9
Nicotine Liquid 1: Aroma E-Juice Flavorless
Nicotine Liquid 1 Strength: 36
Nicotine Liquid 1 Percent of Mix: 25
Nicotine 1 Liquid Ml: 1
Nicotine 1 Liquid Drops: 20
Nicotine Liquid 2:
Nicotine Liquid 2 Strength: 0
Nicotine Liquid 2 Percent of Mix: 0
Nicotine 2 Liquid Ml: 0
Nicotine 2 Liquid Drops: 0
PG:
PG Ml: 0
PG Drops: 0
PG Percent of Mix: 0
VG: HUMCO
VG Ml: 1.6
VG Drops: 32
VG Percent of Mix: 40
Water:
Water Ml: 0
Water Drops: 0
Water Percent of Mix: 0
Alcohol: Vodka
Alcohol Ml: 0.4
Alcohol Drops: 8
Alcohol Percent of Mix: 10
Flavor 1: LorAnn's
Flavor 1 Ml: 1
Flavor 1 Drops: 20
Flavor 1 Percent of Mix: 25
Flavor 2:
Flavor 2 Ml: 0
Flavor 2 Drops: 0
Flavor 2 Percent of Mix: 0
Flavor 3:
Flavor 3 Ml: 0
Flavor 3 Drops: 0
Flavor 3 Percent of Mix: 0

that's it...real high tech huh? haha As I said, I was lazy and would be the first to admit it's not the most efficient way to have done it hahah So...there ya go Kinabaloo. It think we should probably take the discussion of this particular thing offline...I've got your PM..I'll be answering it soon, but I gotta take off for the night. This should get you started though.

desrtrat

ECF Veteran
May 21, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Heeey! I got it! Saved it to my desktop! Okay, and I know I should seek another thread now or start a new one...
Question...
What is the normal ratio of nic liquid to PG/Vg to flavoring??
I mean putting in these values is great but if I make a mix w/ way too much VG/PG it will be... well bad! Right?? Is there a rule of thumb somewhere to go by??
Thx everyone!

Hi Luv2CUSmile! The problem with this question is that if you ask 10 people, you're likely to get 10 different ratios. It's really a matter of personal preference. I include a "Basic Recipe" with the application, but that is geared toward MY tastes and may not be suitable for you. All you can really do is start by making small batches (3-5ml) and try different proportions until you find one you like. After that all you need to do is bump up the "amount to make" and hit the "Calculate Amounts" button for your larger recipe. Personally, I always make small batches. Unfortunately there's no right or wrong answer to your question. Just...experiment hahaha... thanks for giving my app a shot!

kinabaloo

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
<name>xxx<name>
<nicotine>
<flavor>flavorless</flavor>
<strength>36</strength>
</nicotine>

etc

with nic, vg, pg, water, alcohol and flavorings, plus author and description/notes being the categories (8)

maybe you have done this already, but a 'convert to zero nic' would be good such that the nic part is replace by boosting the pg and vg, according to preference (all pg, all vg or mix); if all vg a tiny bit of alcohol or water would be included too.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread