Status
Not open for further replies.

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
A discussion involved some features of Sucralose coming to light, and I was asked to make into a topic.

See here, and also my post #59.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...24700-strange-question-about-urination-2.html

There is quite a lot of testimony in the literature on Sucralose to support that many people have trouble with it (migraines, etc.). Just google.

How can we find out vendors who do not use artificial sweeteners, to which many people have sensitivities?

I'm pretty sure Virgin Vapors qualifies.

Other than them, how can we determine and who else provides juice free of chemical artificial sweetners?

HighlanderNorth

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2012
Mid Atlantic USA
Oh fantastic! I just ordered a free sample of sucralose the other day to sweeten some e-liquids in the future if it seemed that they might benefit from it. I found the link to the site that is giving the free samples here too.

But here's the thing... Supposedly sucralose IS made from sugar through a chlorination process, but it is still characterized as an artificial sweetner.

I guess I wont be using it for vaping now......

someone3x7

ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2012
Spanaway, WA
There is quite a lot of testimony in the literature on Sucralose to support that many people have trouble with it (migraines, etc.). Just google.

I have googled this quite extensively. The majority of the first few pages of google results(top hits) are obviously biased fear-mongers or supporters putting out wild claims. Often whilst either not referencing any factual data or studies, or referencing studies that failed to hold up to peer review.

[PHNUTR-L] Popular Sweetener Sucralose as a Migraine Trigger
Despite a few studies demonstrating the relative safety of sucralose in
animals and humans, anecdotal reports abound about sucralose's adverse
effects. For example, websites devoted to revealing the harmful effects
of sucralose explain that it may contribute in triggering migraine
headaches, manifest unusual rashes, and even have transient ischemic
attack (TIA)-like symptoms/drop attacks. Unusual crampy abdominal pain
including bloating, gas, and nausea has even been reported to have
subsided after discontinuation of sucralose. These websites are easily
found by looking up sucralose on internet search engines. However,
scientific evidence-based research is still lacking concerning this topic.

The easiest to digest page I've come across is: Artificial Sweeteners and Cancer - National Cancer Institute

Although, that is just about concern of cancer.

Another good read can be found at: Boresha Research The most interesting tidbit I gathered here is Sucralose is not Splenda.

And about 10 pages deep into a google search I found: http://www.medicinenet.com/artificial_sweeteners/page9.htm#sucralosecon

Overall, I would say I'm undecided at this time about the relative safety. The concern is enough that vendors should be listing artificial sweetners seperately though. I am also interested in determing which vendors do list this information.

Last edited:

Nubiwan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2012
Seattle
Hey, Thanks for this info folks. Somehow (years ago!) I got the impression that 'Splenda' is just another form of sugar. I also knew that it can be problematic for people like myself who have Crohns or other IBS issues. But - somehow I missed the fact that sucralose is nothing like natural sugar.

I will probably continue to use it in my DIY e-liquids because it doesn't seem to clog or damage my atomizers - but, I will be cutting back on using it in my daily cup of coffee.

BCNU

Rodnaz

Aug 20, 2012
Phoenix Az
I think the vendors should list this info as well. Perhaps the powers that be here at ECF could request vendors supply this information. I've done enough reading to steer me away from Sucralose & similar. Splenda seems to be the best of the bunch but I no longer use it either. I'm talking about home use not mixing juice.

This is just a FYI -- Stevia is a natural sweetener. It was approved by the FDA about 2008. It is near 30 times sweeter than sugar. I'm sure if you read enough one can find a complaint about anything. However to my knowledge it is far healthier than than anything out there. 12 oz lasts me almost a year as it only takes 1/4 teaspoon for most drinks.

I never thought about what sweetener is used in e-juice since I am just getting started. My desire is to eliminate nicotine in the future, now this is another factor. I will be asking vendors what they use. Some are far worst than others.

MikenGA

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 8, 2011
Georgia
...The most interesting tidbit I gathered here is Sucralose is not Splenda.

Uhmmmmmm...to be more accurate, Sucralose IS sold under the brand name of Splenda.

'SUCROSE' (sugar) is not Splenda, but Splenda is Sucralose (not a sugar, but a chemically created additive).

Last edited:

someone3x7

ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2012
Spanaway, WA
This is just a FYI -- Stevia is a natural sweetener. It was approved by the FDA about 2008. It is near 30 times sweeter than sugar. I'm sure if you read enough one can find a complaint about anything. However to my knowledge it is far healthier than than anything out there. 12 oz lasts me almost a year as it only takes 1/4 teaspoon for most drinks.

Stevia is good alternative for a healthy person. People with blood sugar disorders should consult a doctor before using Stevia as it is know to affect insulin production differently for different disorders.

someone3x7

ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2012
Spanaway, WA
Uhmmmmmm...to be more accurate, Sucralose IS sold under that brand name of Splenda.

'SUCROSE' (sugar) is not Splenda, but Splenda is Sucralose (not a sugar, but a chemically created additive).

Sucralose is one ingredient found in the product called Splenda. Splenda as a whole is not Sucralose.

someone3x7

ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2012
Spanaway, WA

I prefer to believe chemists and scientists over some manufacturer's advertising team. Splenda helped make sucralose popular, but, sucralose pre-existed Splenda.

edit: going back to Boresha Research
SUCRALOSE VS SPLENDA
Sucralose and Splenda are not the same formula. Sucralose is the base sweetener added to Splenda, while Splenda is a blend of Sucralose and high glycemic sugars.

re-edit: I'm trying to re-find a less biased link I thought I had put up earlier...

re-re-edit: I didn't find this one before, but, oh my http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/15287390802328630

Last edited:

someone3x7

ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2012
Spanaway, WA
Found it again Mechanisms for Sweetness
Although rodents show a more restricted preference to LCS compared with humans, they exhibit a more expansive preference for carbohydrates in general. Unlike humans, rats and mice are very attracted to starch and starch-derived maltodextrins and seem to “taste” them as distinct from sugars (34). The rodent taste sensitivity to starch and maltodextrin has important implications for the interpretation of studies in which these carbohydrates are used to discretely vary the energy density of foods without changing their taste. In addition, the maltodextrin taste preference of rodents can determine their preference for commercial sweetener products. For example, rats that avoided sucralose solutions displayed strong preferences for solutions containing Splenda (McNeil Nutritionals), which is a blend of sucralose and maltodextrin (35).

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest

Why not? If you do not have any kind of allergy or problems w/it, then by all means, you should avape it. Anyone else too.

I was just bringing this up for people tryiing to track down allergies/sensitiviites. Everyone always thinks VG or PG, but this
art. sweetner could also be causing a problem.

The concern is enough that vendors should be listing artificial sweetners seperately though. I am also interested in determing which vendors do list this information.

Which is what else would be necessary IF you suspected a sensitivity to it.

That was also the purpose of my post. It wasn't "sucralose is bad" it was more like 'sucralose COULD be bad for SOME people."

Last edited:

HighlanderNorth

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2012
Mid Atlantic USA
Here's the question, how safe or unsafe are these 2 sweeteners when used as a sweetener for e-liquid, as it seems that most of the info that is being discussed here, and most of the facts posted on this thread pertain to these sweeteners being eaten, not vaped.

Is Stevia going to be safe to vape?

someone3x7

ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2012
Spanaway, WA
Here's the question, how safe or unsafe are these 2 sweeteners when used as a sweetener for e-liquid, as it seems that most of the info that is being discussed here, and most of the facts posted on this thread pertain to these sweeteners being eaten, not vaped.

Is Stevia going to be safe to vape?

Both of them are soluble in water. This means your lungs will absorb them. And both require temperatures far beyond what your PV will produce to be decomposed. These two combined, with a couple exceptions, tend to mean they are safe to vape. I just found out about Xylitol in another thread. After some initial research I'm fully intending to buy and test some Xylitol myself.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Sucralose is one ingredient found in the product called Splenda. Splenda as a whole is not Sucralose.

Thank you someone3x7

I have just about Given up trying to explain that Splenda is a Registered Tradmark and Sucralose is a Chemical Compound.

A problem that the Makers od Splenda found out was since Sucralose is So Much Sweeter than Table Sugar, that people couldn't handle adding a 1/256 of a Teaspoon of Splenda to there Coffee.

So to make the Total volume the Same as Table Sugar, they had to add other things. It is these other things that some Vapers might not want to vape verses Pure Sucralose.

Also, there is Nothing to say that the Splenda that you bought Last Month will have the Same Chemical Makeup this month.

--------------

Splenda usually contains 95% dextrose (D-glucose) and maltodextrin which the body readily metabolizes, combined with a small amount of mostly indigestible sucralose. Sucralose is made by replacing three select hydrogen-oxygen groups on sucrose (table sugar) molecules with three chlorine atoms. The tightly bound chlorine atoms create a molecular structure that is remarkably stable.[15] Sucralose itself is recognized as safe to ingest as a diabetic sugar substitute,[16][17] but some Splenda products may contain sugars or other carbohydrates that should be evaluated individually. Research as of 2003 suggested that the amount of sucralose that can be consumed on a daily basis over a person's lifetime without any adverse effects is 15 mg/kg/day,[18] or about 1 g for a 70 kg (150 lb) person. This was revised downward in 2008 to 9 mg/kg/day, or about 0.6 g.[19]

A repeated dose study of sucralose in human subjects concluded that "there is no indication that adverse effects on human health would occur from frequent or long-term exposure to sucralose at the maximum anticipated levels of intake".[20] Conversely, a Duke University study conducted on rats (funded by The Sugar Association[21]) shows that at sucralose consumption levels of 1.1 mg/kg (below the FDA 'safe' level) to 11 mg/kg, throughout a 12-week administration of Splenda exerted numerous adverse effects, including reduction in beneficial fecal microflora, increased fecal pH, and enhanced expression levels of P-gp, CYP3A4, and CYP2D1, which are known to limit the bioavailability of nutrients and orally administered drugs.[22] These effects have not been observed in humans,[20] and the relevance of this animal study to human health is unknown. The study has been the subject of some controversy, with experts disagreeing over the validity of its conclusions.[23] The other ingredients in Splenda, dextrose and maltodextrin, are listed as generally recognized as safe because of their long history of safe consumption.[24][25]

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

But here's the thing... Supposedly sucralose IS made from sugar through a chlorination process, but it is still characterized as an artificial sweetner.

So what are you concerns about Sucralose?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread