Status
Not open for further replies.

Bullette the Cowdog

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 5, 2012
Treasure Coast, FL
A#1: 26mg/1000ml or 2.6%

A#2: indeterminable. Depends on how you smoked, what you smoked, how you vape, etc. average vaper uses 3 ml/day. But nic strength varies. So this becomes a trial & error situation for each individual vaper.

Get several small samples of juice at different nic strengths.

Good luck. We're glad you're here Keep coming back.

18SixFifty

ECF Veteran
Aug 14, 2012
Michigan
You can find just about anything in regards to MG's and yes it's something like that. It's been so long since I looked it up I don't remeber but it's actually a very tiny part. As for how much is a pack of cigarettes the truth is that nobody knows.

I would try 18 and that should be fine. I wonder though. Why do you say it's too high? Is it because it's hard to inhale or because of other symptoms? A lot of people find it hard to get used to vaping at first. I have to use lower volts in the morning or simply french inhale.

MiamiMom63

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 17, 2012
South Florida
Welcome JoHu01. As far as how many mgs. of nic is in a pack of smokes, I'm not sure other than I was a pack to 1 1/2 pack a day smoker of ultra lights and I started vaping at 16 mgs. The first day I had withdrawals and the 2nd day I had my one and only last cigarette and got high from it. So my guess is my prior smoking analog habit was producing more nic for me than my vaping at 16 mgs. I think 18 mgs. is a good starting point for most, but I'd also get a lower dose of nic for the times you just want to vape alot and not worry about getting over nicked. :)

recidivus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 20, 2012
Canada
www.youtube.com
The easiest breakdown is a quick conversion to %. Shift the decimal to the left and that's that. I believe it's mg per ml, but don't hold me to that.

Juice to tobacco, I personally feel, is not possible. I see vendors/manufacturers say "This cartridge = 200 cigarettes" or other such rubbish, but it's marketing. Everyone vapes differently (and very rarely take puffs like a cigarette)

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I always thought it was mg/ml so 26mg eliquid meant that there was 26 milligrams or nicotine in every milliliter of juice.

I does.

26mg = 26 Milligrams (weight) of Nicotine per 1 Millieter (Liquid Volume).

If you had 100% Nicotine, about 1,000mg would fill up 1ml of Volume. ie: 1000/1000 = 1 and 1 x 100 = 100%

For 26mg

26/1000 = .026 and .026 x 1000 = 2.6%

The 1000 in the Ratio above Isn't ml, it is mg per ml.

A Ratio is mearly a Portion of Something Divided by the Total Amount there can be. Ang Ratios need to compare Items that have the Same Unit of Measure.

So if you said it alound it would be.

26 Milligrames Grams per Millileter Divided buy 1000 Milligrames Grams per Millileter Equals .026 or 2.6 Percent/

yzer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2011
Northern California
I smoked 1.5 packs of Camel Blue 99s per day. These cigarettes are .8 mg nicotine per cigarette and are one step stronger than ultra lights. I found 2-3 ml of 24 mg e-liquid per day to be a good match for me.

Ultra light cigarettes are usually listed as .4 to .5 mg per cigarette. 2-3 ml per day of 12 to 18 mg e-liquid sounds about right if you were smoking 1.5 packs per day of ultra lights. I'd start at the high end of the nicotine scale (or vape more e-liquid per day) and cut down a couple of weeks later.

rolygate

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2009
ECF Towers
There are many different strength e-juice in the market from 0 mg to 36 mg.
My first choice was 26 mg (turned out a bit too strong for me), but what does it mean?
26 mg / 100 ml ? Or what?

And a different but not unrelated question:
How many ml e-juice equals 1 packet of cigarette?

26mg = 26mg/ml
It means there is is 26 milligrams of nicotine per 1 milliliter of liquid
This is 2.6% by weight

The common retail strengths of e-liquid are:
0, 6, 12, 18, 24, [30], 36, [45]
30 and 45 are less often seen

Most expert users will tell you that about 3ml of liquid is equal to a pack of cigarettes (20). If used in a carto, not all can be utilised as some stays in the filler, so about three and a half cartos or 3.5ml is about equal to 20 cigs (for ecig users past the initial stage).

The 'average smoker' apparently smokes about 15 cigs a day, and for them, about 3 cartos or 3ml vaped from cartos is about right.

Liquid goes further if dripped or run through a bottom feeder* into an atomizer, as none is held in filler. Tank systems work out about the same as bottom feeders.

* A boxmod with an integral tank, where the liquid is fed up through the base of the atty via the connector (ex: a Reo).

JoHu01

Aug 22, 2012
Edinburgh U.K.
Wow!

26mg/ml !

According to Wikipedia : "an average cigarette yields about 1 mg of absorbed nicotine" That means 1ml (26mg) juice is equals 26 cigarettes.
According to Bullet the Cowdog : "average vaper uses 3 ml/day". (I do more.)
Does that mean that average vaper (vaping the 26) uses equivalent of 78! (and not 20) average cigarettes/day?

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Wow!

26mg/ml !

According to Wikipedia : "an average cigarette yields about 1 mg of absorbed nicotine" That means 1ml (26mg) juice is equals 26 cigarettes.

NO.

This Does Not mean that 1ml of 26mg/ml is the Same as 26 Cigarettes.

Because the Absorption rates are Different.

And because Cigarettes are Measured in the “Average” amount of Nicotine Absorbed by the Average Person when they Smoke One Cigarette. But an e-Liquid is Measured by the TOTAL amount of Nicotine in One Milliliter.

Not all the Nicotine in One Milliliter of e-Liquids is Absorbed by the Body.

rolygate

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2009
ECF Towers
Wow!

26mg/ml !

According to Bullet the Cowdog : "average vaper uses 3 ml/day". (I do more.)
Does that mean that average vaper (vaping the 26) uses equivalent of 78! (and not 20) average cigarettes/day?

Many people make this error. Look:

tobacco >> burnt >> smoke.
The amount of nicotine in the tobacco does not equal the amount in the smoke - it's about 5%.
There is about 18mg of nicotine in the tobacco of a cigarette.
There is about 1mg of nicotine in the smoke from 1 cigarette.

e-liquid >> vaporized >> vapor.
The amount of nicotine in the liquid does not equal the amount in the vapor - it's about 50% (we think).
There is about 18mg of nicotine in the liquid in 1 carto.
There is (probably) about 9mg of nicotine in the vapor from 1 carto (assuming all the liquid can be used, which it can't).

The amount of nicotine in the tobacco of a cigarette has no relation to the amount in the smoke.
The amount of nicotine in the liquid in a carto has no relation to the amount in the vapor.

In fact we don't really know how much nic is in the vapor because there is no published lab test in a reputable journal that is accepted as good evidence for this, but an average of the various ad hoc tests is about 50%.

yzer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2011
Northern California
You can find data relating to carbon monoxide, tar and nicotine amounts per cigarette here.

Erowid Tobacco Vault : Info on Nicotine Content of Cigarette Brands

This is an older report dating from the 1990's but if you have a more recent report available please post a link. Also, this report covers US brands only and some of the brand names have changed since the 90's. For instance, US cigarette makers can no longer use the word "light" when labeling their products. The Camel Light 99 brand I smoked for years was renamed Camel Blue 99 a couple of years ago.

In the case of my ex-smoke (Camel Blue 99): these are .8 mg nicotine per cigarette, or 16 mg nicotine per pack. The .8 mg nicotine per cigarette is not the amount of nicotine that a smoker may absorb from the cigarette. It is simply the amount of nicotine the smoking machine caught from smoking one cigarette.

Now, for the sake of argument say I absorbed the same amount of nicotine from cigarettes that the FTC machines captured. That would mean I get 16 mg nicotine per pack or 24 mg nicotine from 1.5 packs I smoked per day.

We know that the total amount of nicotine that an individual absorbs from vaporizing 1 ml of 24 mg nicotine e-liquid is not 24 mg of nicotine. It's going to be far less than that. As rolygate states, vapors may only absorb 50% of the nicotine from any amount of e-liquid that is vaporized.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Thanks for fixing my post guys.
Looks like I had the math right, but the units wrong.
Sorry everyone.

No Harm - No Foul. Just a Type-O.

Thanks!

That 50% makes sense.
So 26(mg) X 3(ml) /2 (50%) = 39(cigarettes). Not so bad.
And if i switch to 18mg that would be an acceptable 27/day.

That's all i wanted to know.

Another thing that Should be Considered is that Cigarette Smoke Contains Much More than just Nicotine. Much More. Some say that there are Over 1000 Chemical Compounds detectable in Cigarette Smoke.

And I firmly believe that I was Just as Addicted to those Additional Chemical Compounds when I smoke as I was to Nicotine.

So it is Very Difficult to Compare Milliliters of e-Liquids to Individual Cigarettes.

Scottua25

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 19, 2012
Southern Va
I heard, don't remember where, that some of those extra chemicals make your body absorb the nicotine more efficiently so more of the nicotine from each drag gets into your bloodstream. Not to mention that the smoke particles from a burning cigarette are much MUCH smaller than the vaporized e-juice droplets from an e-cig.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread