PG allergy symptoms?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hnyb0210

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
PA
I apologize if this is not the correct place to post this - please move if it's in the wrong spot :facepalm:

How long might a PG allergy take to manifest (I started out w/100% VG juices, moved to 50/50 and then to 70PG/30VG hoping to get a bit more flavor, & I've been alternating between the two (50/50 & 70P/30V) for several weeks now w/no problems.

A few days ago I developed a patch of skin on the back of my neck (low & to the left) that hurts/burns like a really bad sunburn, but nothing is visible on the skin (me, hubby & daughter have all looked @ it - nothing there!) Yesterday I noticed a few "flat" but raised bumps (sort of like hives except they're skin-colored rather than red & they don't itch) on my face kind of to the side of my eyebrow. Could any of this be caused by PG??

LOL - just had to correct myself because in my 1st paragraph I accidentally typed "PV allergy" - no, that's definitely not it!
:laugh:

DantesInferno

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 22, 2012
Central Illinois
As a RN I'm taking a guess and saying probably not. Could be but I doubt it. Most people are not "allergic" to inhaled pg they are sensitive or intolerant to it. Can cause burning and irritation in the throat and nasal passages, congested sinuses, burning lips, once it gets to swelling and numbness of the lips/mouth or tightening of the airway then it's more serious and likely an allergic reaction. A rash would be a systemic symptom. So I'm guessing if your mouth, throat and all that is fine, where the pg is having the most direct contact, then the rash is unlikely to be from the pg. Everyone is different though and not everyone will have the same reactions. If pg is the only thing you've narrowed it down to then yes go with that. If you suspect it's the pg then by all means avoid pg and see if the rash improves. If the rash continues I would definitely discuss that with your Dr.

TulsaClint

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2012
Tulsa
I have suffered from contact dermatitis for years due to an allergy to some chemicals used to tan leather. I haven't had a major issue with any rash in a couple of years now but when I started vaping I noticed some flare ups. I read that PG can exacerbate eczema so I don't know if it could be from the PG or just due to an old pair of shoes I have yet to give up that may be breaking down. I've avoided straight VG as it is so thick and a pain to deal with, but if it gets worse, I might not have a choice. It's rather benign now compared to what I've experienced in the past.

I'm no medical professional, but I use a prescription cream called clobetasol propionate to keep it under control.

This might help, lots of info https://www.google.com/search?q=der...cp.r_qf.&fp=4c4e4dd9cacdc02d&biw=1821&bih=809

Last edited:

hnyb0210

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
PA
sounds like shingles did you have the chicken pox as a kid?

Yes, I did have the chicken pox, and I have also experienced a bout of shingles, probably 11-12 years ago - that was NOT FUN!! That's an interesting thought - that hadn't occurred to me, but I will definitely keep an eye on it w/that in mind.

DantesInferno

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 22, 2012
Central Illinois
sounds like shingles did you have the chicken pox as a kid?

Shingles don't spread to ur face. Shingles follow a nerve pathway on your trunk.

My bad. To be more specific. I don't see a shingles rash spreading from the back of ur neck to a random spot on ur face/eyebrow. I would expect a shingles rash on the back to spread around the trunk either around a shoulder or down around the arm pit. Didn't mean to insinuate that shingles cannot appear on the face at all.

Last edited:

Levitas

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 2, 2011
Saint Louis
As a RN I'm taking a guess and saying probably not. Could be but I doubt it. Most people are not "allergic" to inhaled pg they are sensitive or intolerant to it. Can cause burning and irritation in the throat and nasal passages, congested sinuses, burning lips, once it gets to swelling and numbness of the lips/mouth or tightening of the airway then it's more serious and likely an allergic reaction. A rash would be a systemic symptom. So I'm guessing if your mouth, throat and all that is fine, where the pg is having the most direct contact, then the rash is unlikely to be from the pg. Everyone is different though and not everyone will have the same reactions. If pg is the only thing you've narrowed it down to then yes go with that. If you suspect it's the pg then by all means avoid pg and see if the rash improves. If the rash continues I would definitely discuss that with your Dr.

Dude, you're an RN? I'm a RNit (in training :D )

Levitas

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 2, 2011
Saint Louis
Shingles don't spread to ur face. Shingles follow a nerve pathway on your trunk.

Sure they can. My fiancee gets them on her face, and she loathes every moment.

Shingles (Herpes Zoster) Treatment, Causes, Symptoms, Vaccine

It's possible that you could also feel dizzy or weak, or you could have long-term pain or a rash on your face, changes in your vision, changes in how well you can think, or a rash that spreads. If you have any of these problems from shingles, call your doctor right away.

DantesInferno

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 22, 2012
Central Illinois
Sorry let me be a bit more specific. The op said the rash was initially on the lower back of neck. As shingles follows a nerve pathway it was unlikely to reach from this spot around to the face and eyebrow. Shingles follows a nerve pathway and yes there many nerves in the face one even called the facial nerve but to my knowlegde these don't reach around to the back of the neck. Shingles tends to cause a rash that kinda sticks together. And yes shingles hurt. Most ppl have a pretty good idea it's not a typical rash. Yeah Levitas I've been an RN for almost 15 years now.

Hosedragger

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2011
Lynn, MA
A.D.A.M. Medical Encyclopedia.
Shingles
Herpes zoster

Last reviewed: May 30, 2012.

Shingles (herpes zoster) is a painful, blistering skin rash due to the varicella-zoster virus, the virus that causes chickenpox.

See also: Ramsay Hunt syndrome
Causes, incidence, and risk factors

After you get chickenpox, the virus remains inactive (becomes dormant) in certain nerves in the body. Shingles occurs after the virus becomes active again in these nerves years later.

The reason the virus suddenly becomes active again is not clear. Often only one attack occurs.

Shingles may develop in any age group, but you are more likely to develop the condition if:

You are older than 60

You had chickenpox before age 1

Your immune system is weakened by medications or disease

If an adult or child has direct contact with the shingles rash and did not have chickenpox as a child or a chickenpox vaccine, they can develop chickenpox, not shingles.
Symptoms

The first symptom is usually one-sided pain, tingling, or burning. The pain and burning may be severe and is usually present before any rash appears.

Red patches on the skin, followed by small blisters, form in most people.

The blisters break, forming small sores that begin to dry and form crusts. The crusts fall off in 2 to 3 weeks. Scarring is rare.

The rash usually involves a narrow area from the spine around to the front of the belly area or chest.

The rash may involve the face, eyes, mouth, and ears.

Other symptoms may include:

Abdominal pain

Fever and chills

General ill feeling

Genital sores

Headache

Joint pain

Swollen glands (lymph nodes)

You may also have pain, muscle weakness, and a rash involving different parts of your face if shingles affects a nerve in your face. The symptoms may include:

Difficulty moving some of the muscles in the face

Drooping eyelid (ptosis)

Hearing loss

Loss of eye motion

Taste problems

Vision problems

and from the CDC page they have a very good chart
CDC - Shingles Signs and Symptoms - Herpes Zoster

I've been a paramedic for over 20 years and deal with this quite often as there is a large ederly population in the area I work

Last edited:

~Sue~Feb2012

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 10, 2012
USA
We can develop allergies to anything at any age at any time. I sometimes get a burning sensation when I've been bitting by insects. Usually itchy but sometimes just a burning sensation. Contact dermatitis does this as well....sometimes I get a substance on me and don't know what I've been in contact with, but I get symptoms! Being out in the sun or high heat brings out the burning or itching more severely. Topical cortisone creams 2% over the counter work ok sometimes. Benedryl lotion type creams also help sometimes.
I hope you get it figured out and all goes well for you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread