Now in the UK they are going after the Ecig,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turnip

ECF Veteran
Mar 24, 2011
Australia
Article in Spiked this Morning, written by a Jason Walsh in Ireland.. Now the bony hands of the Nanny State are clawing at their Smokers rights in the UK and going after Ecigs as well.( We know how they feel)
The Writer doesnt know a whole lot about Ecigs but he's on our side -he rips into the nebulous reasons for banning them -

Quote, "Where the Lobbyists screech, the Politicians are sure to follow"

How smokers’ rights are being vapourised | Jason Walsh | spiked

CDalio

Jul 23, 2012
Ft Myers, FL USA
He has good points.. There should be more vocal opinions out there.. I still dont understand the mentality of wanting to ban them.. What are people thinking?!?
"You mean they found a way to smoke anywhere, with no smell... no second hand smoke.. and no extra evil chemicals?!? Well THAT makes me MAD!!! Someone should put an end to this before someone doesnt get hurt!!!"
:confused: :facepalm: :(

Webdoc

Aug 27, 2012
Poland
To me, the way e-cigarettes are treated by "the powers that be" is well and truly a mind-boggling mystery. You would think they would become MANDATORY for any smoker that wants health-insurance, you would think that government would JUMP at this in joy, knowing they could probably save the lives of thousands of people... but no.

It is truly mystifying.

greendollar

Aug 23, 2012
hampshire
It seems as though the E-Cig manufacturers need to steer well clear of any claims that vaping is a way of quitting smoking (which they seem to be doing ) but I fear that the power of the tabacco industry and the pharmaceutical giants selling their quit smoking products will be plowing millions into getting the E-Cig banned .
I would imagine that they will be targeting the selling and manufacture of e-juice as banning the devices would be extremely difficult to do .

Petrodus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2010
Midwest
It seems as though the E-Cig manufacturers need to steer well clear of any claims that vaping is a way of quitting smoking (which they seem to be doing ) but I fear that the power of the tabacco industry and the pharmaceutical giants selling their quit smoking products will be plowing millions into getting the E-Cig banned .
I would imagine that they will be targeting the selling and manufacture of e-juice as banning the devices would be extremely difficult to do .
Big Tobacco is getting into the e-cig business
The villains are Big Pharma and the ANTZ ... NOT Big Tobacco.

The acronym ANTZ stands for Anti-Nicotine and Tobacco Zealots

Big Tobacco is getting into the e-cig business
The villains are Big Pharma and the ANTZ ... NOT Big Tobacco.

The acronym ANTZ stands for Anti-Nicotine and Tobacco Zealots

As more people make the shift big tobacco companies will see a lose in revenue and thy will remedy by buying up e cig companies so they can keep making money off of nicotine addicted people. A recent example is 135 million dollar acquisition of Blu Cigs by the third largest american tobacco company Lorillard. Lorillard made the purchase as a result of declining demand for tobacco products.

fortytofive

Oct 22, 2012
California
He has good points.. There should be more vocal opinions out there.. I still dont understand the mentality of wanting to ban them.. What are people thinking?!?
"You mean they found a way to smoke anywhere, with no smell... no second hand smoke.. and no extra evil chemicals?!? Well THAT makes me MAD!!! Someone should put an end to this before someone doesnt get hurt!!!"
:confused: :facepalm: :(
Beautiful Rhetoric, Sincerely

Fronkey

May 11, 2012
MO, USA
There are those who believe BT will buy out all the e-cig companies then close the doors.
I'm not in that group. One thing is for sure ... Time will tell.
:)
I don't see that working. First off, most of the e-cig companies are small, privately owned businesses. The only way BT would be able to buy them up is if the owners of the e-cig companies agreed to sell them to BT.

Also, since e-cigs are inherently simple devies, it would be quite easy for new companies to pop up if BT shut down the existing ones. I'm strongly convinced that there's enough market for e-cigs that someone would want those potential profits if the market suddenly became devoid of e-cigs.

VBro

Moved On
Nov 25, 2012
Malaysia
To me, the way e-cigarettes are treated by "the powers that be" is well and truly a mind-boggling mystery. You would think they would become MANDATORY for any smoker that wants health-insurance, you would think that government would JUMP at this in joy, knowing they could probably save the lives of thousands of people... but no.

It is truly mystifying.

It's clear. Huge corporations are funding them to look at electronic cigarettes this way. What is the way to stop this madness?

Charlie369

Verified Member
Dec 12, 2012
UK
I don't think they will ban e-cigs, they will just try to control them like everything else. AFAIK there is no regulation at the minute, I will be launching an e-liquid web store soon so need to do a lot more reading up on this, but as long as all the proper age/toxicity warnings are in place I see no issues.

What are the current rules in the UK regarding products containing nicotine? I would have thought that nicotine containing products already fall under the Medicines act and would need to be sold by pharmacys or they come under the tobbacco products / licensing laws?

Its funny really I notice that you can now buy Nicoting products aka gums and patches and stuff from most big supermarkets, which indicates to me that big pharma has paid a lot of money or donated sums to political parties to achieve this, and now e-cigs have sprung up and gone thank you very much no licenses needed.

The government will always seek more control and revenue, they do not care for the welfare of there people, if you don't believe me your a fool, in the UK they quite happpily equip most police forces with shiny hi-tech helicopters while the Air ambulances are funded by charity!

Petrodus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2010
Midwest
The government will always seek more control and revenue, they do not care for the welfare of there people, if you don't believe me your a fool, in the UK they quite happpily equip most police forces with shiny hi-tech helicopters while the Air ambulances are funded by charity!
Well ... All governments around the world care about 1 thing !!
They all know French history which includes that famous "Blade"
:p

TrueNews

Dec 1, 2012
Perth, Australia
Well ... All governments around the world care about 1 thing !!
They all know French history which includes that famous "Blade"
:p

Does that include the French genocide at Setif in Algeria Petrodus ? or was it just a 'blunt' reference to the guillotine :)

Sorry for the pun.

Maybe "Let them eat cake" now translates to "Let them Vape Cookies and Cream".

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread