So...my freaking battery just caught on fire!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

chillywilly

Aug 24, 2012
USA
Have a standard battery from V2. Plugged it into it's charger and then I smelled something. The charging light went off, and then the end of the battery lit up orange, caught on fire and started smoking!! WTF!? This is so terrifying. I usually leave these plugged in overnight, NO WAY! Warning to everybody, be careful! Bought a pack of real smokes..at least I know when these are on fire :facepalm:

First 2 of bad battery, last picture is of good battery.
View attachment 132154 View attachment 132157 View attachment 132155

Edit: Added pictures to post.

Last edited:

lotsoffish

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 15, 2012
Buffalo, New York
Have a standard battery from V2. Plugged it into it's charger and then I smelled something. The charging light went off, and then the end of the battery lit up orange, caught on fire and started smoking!! WTF!? This is so terrifying. I usually leave these plugged in overnight, NO WAY! Warning to everybody, be careful! Bought a pack of real smokes..at least I know when these are on fire :facepalm:

I would REALLY like to see some photo's of that battery and any damage it did to your charger. Can you take a few?

lotsoffish

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 15, 2012
Buffalo, New York
There is a lot of controversy regarding just what happens when battery's fail this way. You should post ALL pertinent info on this incident.

Like-

Exact brand and type of battery, what type of charger you used, how old the battery and charger are, how many times you have charged the battery, actual damages to the battery along with anything and everything else you can observe such as condition of the cords etc.

You might want to even hang on to the battery and charger for a while in case somebody wants to take a closer look at your equipment.

zidakano

Sep 11, 2011
The Internet
any device that has a li-ion battery can do this at some point. So that's cellphones, laptops, tablets, gps, pretty much any modern device that is rechargeable. It is just something you need to be careful with inspect your batteries regularly make sure they aren't swollen or have tears in the outer wrap and make sure to buy quality batteries as some can be pretty much anything wrapped up in some shrink wrap and can vary greatly in quality battery to battery.

chillywilly

Aug 24, 2012
USA
Will fill out the form, thank you. Here are some pictures. First 2 are of the one that caught on fire and the 3rd one is the good black battery.

2MfUSh.jpg pV2M8h.jpg 9iAPEh.jpg

It was a V2 standard silver battery. Maybe a month old, if that, with the standard charger it came with. Charged maybe 15 times?

Edit: Sorry if the pics are crappy, it was the best I could do. Also, I unplugged it immediately after I saw it glowing.

Last edited:

jdiulus

ECF Veteran
Jan 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
Scary Stuff!

I occasionally leave my battery charging while I'm not at home. I don't do it often but occasionally I'm more concerned with coming back home to a fresh battery instead of having to wait!

Man how bad it would suck to come back to a house burning down. Dont think I will ever leave a battery unattended ever again.

Dominicanto

ECF Veteran
Jun 10, 2012
New York City
I take this for granted far too often. I charge up IMR 18500 and 18650s every night on an Xtar WPAII charger. Even with all the safety mechanisms built into the batts and chargers, it's still a risky proposition leaving them out to charge over-night. Hate to have to baby sit these things, but safety first, especially with kids running around. Off the charger they go until I can charge them at work in the morning...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread