My first bad vaping experience

Status
Not open for further replies.

Halcyon

Unregistered Supplier
Nov 5, 2009
Winchester, VA
So less than an hour ago I was at a sheetz (chain gas station/convenience store around here that makes made-to-order food) waiting for my sub to be finished, and it was taking an unusually long time. Well, let's just say I got bored and decided to stealth vape, more than 10 feet from other customers, discreetly palming my volcano while I waited. Well, I ran into an old friend from high school and started talking to her and forgot to maintain stealth mode for less than 30 seconds (two drags I'd guess). I let out a glorious cloud of vapor and a guy walking by said "Are you really doing that in the store?"
My reply was simply (and i was quite polite) "It's electronic, sir. There's no smoke, or smell, what you saw was vapor." He shrugged it off, shook his head and looked irritated.

Now, being that I am starting my own business to retail these products, I am very very interested in public opinion. I was walking past him while he was waiting as I left and I said "Sir, if you don't mind I'm curious as to why you still found it offensive once you knew it wasn't harming or bothering anybody." He said that it didn't matter, and once I very briefly explained that I wished to not offend anyone else with it, he did this cute little waving motion with his hand to shoo me away. He then said something like "We're done talking." I kept my cool but I still said pretty loudly "You really should not be so close-minded about technology that saves peoples' lives." Most of the other customers were really intrigued and their reactions told me they were "on my side."

My roommate thinks he was having a bad day and once he couldn't put his finger in some one's nose he just got defensive. My roommate also can't find any reason what I was doing would be offensive unless he was just so stuck on the fact that it was a cigarette.

Thoughts? I love to hear feedback. I dread another run-in like that. I've explained to 200+ people in Winchester how e-cigs work and have had nothing but praise for quitting smoking and comments about how e-cigs are genius. This was the first (and I pray LAST) bad experience.

breakfastchef

Moved On
Feb 12, 2009
You will have many more bad experiences. If it looks like smoke; it is smoke. That seems to be the mantra of the uninitiated. You do your best to explain the process and concept and let it be. Our individual efforts are virtually lifeless against the firepower the FDA, ASH, ACS and other groups can muster with the media. Vapers are a small portion of society, yet big tobacco has taken notice. I tend to stay under the radar with my vaping and suppliement with other nicotine dosing strategies when I feel it is a better choice.

doots

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2009
safe-list.com
You will have many more bad experiences. If it looks like smoke; it is smoke. That seems to be the mantra of the uninitiated. You do your best to explain the process and concept and let it be. Our individual efforts are virtually lifeless against the firepower the FDA, ASH, ACS and other groups can muster with the media. Vapers are a small portion of society, yet big tobacco has taken notice. I tend to stay under the radar with my vaping and suppliement with other nicotine dosing strategies when I feel it is a better choice.

I do too.. No need to raise alarm. I don't blame anyone else if they want to do it in a store but be prepared for the consequences. Vapor = Smoke in any non smokers eyes. Until there is more public awareness this persons reaction is probably pretty typical.

catwoman19

ECF Veteran
Jul 16, 2009
Orlando

I totally disagree with this type of thinking. If we don't do it in public, how in the wrold is the public going to know what it is?:confused:

catwoman19

ECF Veteran
Jul 16, 2009
Orlando
I accidntly vaped in a store once and got soundly scolded. I told the girl it was a personal vaporizer and that was the end of it. . Another time I did it and said it was an electronic cigarette. That woman nearly went ballistic on me.

Yup, this is what that person heard, CIGARETTE. Too bad they named this e-cigarette, very poor choice

frankie1

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2009
Florida
Not entirely on topic, but about 10 years ago I was a merchandiser for a tobacco company. That meant I assured the stock quality, issued buy downs and set up the POP advertising in a number of stores. I was going about my business one day and was approached by an irate man who then loudly proclaimed that I was a murderer. I was appalled! I was a mom trying to support 3 children..nothing more. It was scary and uncalled for.

doots

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2009
safe-list.com
First thing is until it is proven that there is no second hand damage to our vaping you might see how some people that do not smoke may feel about it and not want it done near them. You have to remember that they know nothing. Im not suggesting that we hide them , just dont use themi in enclosed spaces where there are other people that might and will object.

We need some evidence on our side as to what the vapor contains..

MHR7331

ECF Veteran
Sep 14, 2009
SoCal
Thoughts? I love to hear feedback. I dread another run-in like that. I've explained to 200+ people in Winchester how e-cigs work and have had nothing but praise for quitting smoking and comments about how e-cigs are genius. This was the first (and I pray LAST) bad experience.

I would suggest not stealth-vaping, as there's a chance you'll slip up. Vapor looks exactly like smoke, and it does smell, albeit far less noticeable than smoke - my gf tells me I smell like "old lady" after vaping in my room. By vaping indoors, you are essentially leaving others to their preconceived notions of smoke/vapor, and that's going to lead to some being really irritated.

If you don't mind standing on a mini soapbox every time you decide to vape inside a Starbucks, feel free - but don't act surprised when you get less than favorable reactions...

ladysolitary85

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2009
California
Well, I could see it being offensive to the non-smokers if it looks like a real cigarette (maybe because sending a bad message to the analog smokers saying they can go ahead and light up). I could also see it being offensive to the smokers because they can't smoke inside but we can. So this is what I think on the subject:

I think we should go out in public and use our e-cigs to hopefully help another person in need. When someone questions you, I wouldn't say it's a electric cigarette, I would say its a personal vaporizer... that to me doesn't sound so offensive. (Also, if your going to a bar or someplace, I would first show the bartender what it is and ask to use it) I would also make some flyers or cards and carry them in your pocket, purse, wallet or whatever so you can simply hand it to the person. I think that should ease up some tension between the stranger and you. I hope this helps!

Last edited:

Raenon

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Though I think you should be within your right to vape there (until and unless the owner tells you different, that is their prerogative), I disagree about following him and essentially harassing him. That's what he did to you but out of ignorance, you did it to make him look or feel foolish. Even if you wish to educate in the end, you did it with a confrontational action. Especially the last bit of getting loud and turning the crowd against him.

I believe a better tact would have been to discuss it with others who are interested- even another small puff to display would have been more appropriate.

Halcyon

Unregistered Supplier
Nov 5, 2009
Winchester, VA
Though I think you should be within your right to vape there (until and unless the owner tells you different, that is their prerogative), I disagree about following him and essentially harassing him. That's what he did to you but out of ignorance, you did it to make him look or feel foolish. Even if you wish to educate in the end, you did it with a confrontational action. Especially the last bit of getting loud and turning the crowd against him.

I believe a better tact would have been to discuss it with others who are interested- even another small puff to display would have been more appropriate.

Raenon, I think you misunderstood what happened. We were all in a 10x30 "hallway" shaped area around the counter. After I finished my conversation with my friend, I politely asked him why it was offensive so that I wouldn't do it again (and that was my TRUE motive, I don't want people to dislike these things). When he got short with me, I said he was close-minded. When I say "loud", I don't mean I yelled. I mean I tucked my library voice away that I was using to be polite, and I talked at a tone barely high enough for the people around me to here. I go to that store all the time. Some of the other customers I've seen there were present. I wanted to make a statement that this is life-saving technology so that I did not just appear to be a "billy badass" trying to push the limits. The more I think about this since it happened, the more I think the guy was pissy, then wrong, then backed into a corner.

Last edited:

Halcyon

Unregistered Supplier
Nov 5, 2009
Winchester, VA
My old co-worker used to complain/get jealous because we didn't get smoke breaks and I could step back into the room with our drinks, take two good hits and get my nic fix. He on the other hand had to find some BS task outside to do and risk getting a write up for smoking on the job (very much the reason e-cigs caught my attention btw). I think it's kind of ridiculous because I told him where and how to get one, and he even tried mine and liked it. Why do people refuse to convert sometimes? Some people are strange.

tribalmasters

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 19, 2008
United Kingdom
I would suggest not stealth-vaping, as there's a chance you'll slip up. Vapor looks exactly like smoke, and it does smell, albeit far less noticeable than smoke - my gf tells me I smell like "old lady" after vaping in my room. By vaping indoors, you are essentially leaving others to their preconceived notions of smoke/vapor, and that's going to lead to some being really irritated.

If you don't mind standing on a mini soapbox every time you decide to vape inside a Starbucks, feel free - but don't act surprised when you get less than favorable reactions...

What on earth liquid are you vaping hehe! I leave behind a nice caramel/cappuccino smell sometimes people niff it and like it and some don't! Maybe my cappuccino smells like old lady after a few hours hehe

RDBJ

Nov 9, 2009
Hawaii (Boooooo)
I'm new, but I agree with a few points here from different posters.

1. Vaporizer sounds much better than e-cig to a non smoker.
2. Explaining this in a small enclosed environment is almost a mute point lol.
2. We should use them in the public eye however, even if just one at a time, just not when there being "forced to breath" as they say, something they don't understand.

Caesarea

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2009
UK
What on earth liquid are you vaping hehe! I leave behind a nice caramel/cappuccino smell sometimes people niff it and like it and some don't! Maybe my cappuccino smells like old lady after a few hours hehe

For months I have been reading about Tribalmaster's love for Cappuccino and have finally given in and got hold of some of his favourite brand to see what all the fuss is about.

Ah ha, now I see!

:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread