How do you check the voltage on an Ego battery?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Papa Lazarou

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2008
UK
You need to press the button to activate the battery, and put the positive probe to the middle of the battery connector, and the negative probe to any bare metal on the body (like the outside of the connector) while simulataneously reading the meter. It can be tricky :p

Note Joye eGo's have a PWM output so you won't get an accurate voltage reading from them, although the newer "upgrade" versions have a way to switch that off. Not sure about the twists as I don't own one.

Soulfree

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2012
S.F Bay Area, Ca
You can use an alligator clip. Clip it to the outside for the negative. Then be super duper careful to only touch the center inner post, that will be your positive. DO NOT let the probe touch the sides of the hole while firing the button. BOOM!!!!!!
Yeah all bad...

Papa Lazarou

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2008
UK
I don't understand the above methods - I have a digital and the best I can do is watch the digits flash by when trying to take a reading. so I need some way to only get the highest reading and have it stay on long enought to read.

Some multimeters have a "peak hold" mode. On mine it's a small button in the middle of the selector dial.

BWhare

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 13, 2012
Indiana
I have an idea (a phrase that has always caused co-workers to cringe in terror). If you were to take one of the little plastic plugs out of the end of a carto, stick one probe through the hole in that, and use that one for the center post on the eGo, wouldn't that provide enough insulation barrier to avoid the dreaded "BOOM"? Just stick that end in and use the other probe on the outside ring and it should work. My hands tend to shake at odd moments so I'm not about to risk a battery by using to bare probe ends on a live battery.

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    Ah, pressing the button, that's what I was missing!

So yeah, it is a bit tricky to say the least.
    Would be much easier if I could grow a third hand.
    :)

Or make one of these using an old atty/carto
    P1000385.jpg

(it will even read the voltage if you reverse the polarity) :unsure:

steved5600

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 7, 2012
    Dallas, Texas
    Use to be an Electronics tech before I was an Net Eng. Safest way is to take one lead to a Volt meter and put a bit of tape so only the very tip of the probe is exposed then using the probes like chop sticks in one hand put the insulated tip in the hole to the center conductor and holding the other against the outside of the battery. Then use the other hand to push the button. Or get your vape slave to help. LOL. Check it after charging and then you have a reference point. If you want to go very techi. There is a circuit you can build to check the internal resistance of the battery. When the battery's internal resistance rises that is an indication that the battery is starting to go. You have to know what it was like out of the box to have a reference point. This may be a lot more trouble than it is worth for most. But I'm a tech weenie so i love such stuff.
    If any other DIY's or other nerds are out there here is a diagram of the circuit I'm talking about.
    Commercial/industrial energy efficiency: Electric cell - Internal resistance of battery

Turbo311

Sep 5, 2012
    San Mateo,California
    To measure voltage on any device using PWM you need a Digital Multimeter that measures True RMS. These are generally not cheep if you serious i suggest getting a quality meter I suggest Fluke meters as that is what i have used for years as a electrician .

I just tested my ego twist batterys and got a low of 3.23v and a high of 4.94v.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread