Brass made atomizer are toxic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rfurton

Moved On
Sep 4, 2012
Manila
I am planning to buy a C.R.A. fatty atomizer, but I found a comment on a blog that this product is poisonous because it is made of Brass.
Brass is an alloy composed of copper and zinc. Zinc turns to Zinc Oxide.
Zinc Oxide (when inhaled) results in Metal fume fever which is a respiratory ailment.

So what do you think? Because this C.R.A. product costs about $16 but the real product costs $50..

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I am planning to buy a C.R.A. fatty atomizer, but I found a comment on a blog that this product is poisonous because it is made of Brass.

So what do you think? Because this C.R.A. product costs about $16 but the real product costs $50..

Brass would be about the Last Material I would consider.

six

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2011
under the blue sky
An atty coil is never going to get brass to the flare temperature where zinc oxide is released. It isn't hot enough. It's no where near hot enough.

That said: There are a lot of different kinds of brass. Some contain lead to make them easier to machine. But, then one should also realize that the only Stainless Steel that doesn't contain lead is the stuff they use for hip and knee replacements. So, depending on the exact alloy, Brass and Stainless Steel pose the exact same hazards. - And those hazards for vaping do not include zinc oxide.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
An atty coil is never going to get brass to the flare temperature where zinc oxide is released. It isn't hot enough. It's no where near hot enough.

That said: There are a lot of different kinds of brass. Some contain lead to make them easier to machine. But, then one should also realize that the only Stainless Steel that doesn't contain lead is the stuff they use for hip and knee replacements. So, depending on the exact alloy, Brass and Stainless Steel pose the exact same hazards. - And those hazards for vaping do not include zinc oxide.

Metal Oxides don't need to be "Released". Just in contact with e-Liquids.

Also, Chromium Oxides such as what Forms on the Surface Boundary of Stainless Steel, are considered to be Chemically Stable under most Conditions. Chromium Oxides Inhibited the formation of Iron Oxides. ie: "Rust". This is what Makes Stainless Steel such a Good Choice for use around Chemicals.

six

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2011
under the blue sky
Metal Oxides don't need to be "Released". Just in contact with e-Liquids.

Also, Chromium Oxides such as what Forms on the Surface Boundary of Stainless Steel, are considered to be Chemically Stable under most Conditions. Chromium Oxides Inhibited the formation of Iron Oxides. ie: "Rust". This is what Makes Stainless Steel such a Good Choice for use around Chemicals.

If the coil were made out of brass, maybe (and i still doubt it) there's a chance of zinc oxide exposure. That's moot since brass wire would be far too high resistance to be useful as a coil. - Brass has traditionally been used as a material for the bowls and screens of smoking pipes.

My comment about SS has to do with the lead content which is quite similar to the lead content in a lot of different brass alloys that are intended to be machined. - I never thought much about that until I watched pbusardos interview with Zen. He had quite a lot to say about it.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
If the coil were made out of brass, maybe (and i still doubt it) there's a chance of zinc oxide exposure. That's moot since brass wire would be far too high resistance to be useful as a coil. - Brass has traditionally been used as a material for the bowls and screens of smoking pipes.

My comment about SS has to do with the lead content which is quite similar to the lead content in a lot of different brass alloys that are intended to be machined. - I never thought much about that until I watched pbusardos interview with Zen. He had quite a lot to say about it.

Yeah, I haven't seen too many Atomizer Wires made of Brass.

But I have seen some Mods where people use Bass in Contact with e-Liquids. I'm not out to Save the World. If a Person wants to use Brass in contact with e-Liquids, fine. I Wouldn't.

Lead in any Bare Metal is Extreme Bad News. Period. There is No Acceptable Level of Lead Exposure because Lead Cannot Exit the Body once it Enters it. And what Lead does, even at Minuscule amounts is Tragic.

Swampey65

ECF Veteran
I am certainly no expert metallurgist but, I would think that any atomizer that's chrome plated brass (as that one states it is) would be ok to use, as long as the chrome is not chipped off or brass is exposed anywhere no?

I believe this is the blog you are referring to: C.R.A. Chiatty Review « pinoyvaper

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
This is Many times why Plating is used.

The Base Metal is More Machinable / Formable or is More Cost Effective than smethingStainless Steel but it needs to be Protected from Oxidation and or Chemical Exposure.

"Black Chrome" is usually a Slang Term for Hard Chrome. Hard Chrome is a Chromium Plating where Chemical Resistance and or Wear is needed but a Cosmetic Finish is not.

johnlacie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2011
-

I'm not quite sure about how the product above is made but a lot of atomizers, tanks and cartomizers make use of brass and copper. These are usually chrome plated as brass has the potential to create a toxic metal oxide. As long as there is no part of the brass material is exposed, then I would say it is relatively safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread