Vegetable Glycerin

Status
Not open for further replies.

kase

ECF Veteran
Oct 27, 2009
Everett WA
www.myspace.com
I am on the hunt for VG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I spent the whole weekend, well not whole weekend, but a couple hours, searching the local grocery stores and Walmart looking for VG to cut some juice I have that's too high MG and too much flavor... I can't seem to find it anywhere. I'm not sure where to look though, I checked the pharmacy sections and the baking sections and the lotion and soap sections, to no avail...

If anyone could point me in the right direction, I'd really appreciate it. I'd like to just go buy some rather than ordering online, and I'm on the West Coast if that helps. Thanks! :thumb:

bluesuede

ECF Veteran
Sep 28, 2009
Central PA, USA
Errrr... the Glycerin I bought at Walmart last week with Swan label can be either animal or vegetable according to the company that sells it to Walmart. So use caution. NOW VG can usually be bought at health food stores or may be purchased on amazon.com or elsewhere on the web.

I bought 16 oz each of VG and PG from Natural Bulk Cosmetic Bases * Soapmaking * Soap making Supplies * Essential Oils * Bulk Bases * Wholesale Soap Supplies * Private Labeling * Contract Packaging * Soap Making Supplies Just search for Vegetable Glycerin and you will find it. Also bought 60 mg unflavored PG nic from eastmall for cutting. That should hold me for a while! :D

I really need a storage solution! I have so much stuff now I don't know where to store everything. Tackle box, tool box or likewise? I would like a little more elegant and easy-to-find solution for all my bottles. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Last edited:

enadrown

ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2009
Salina, Kansas
I haven't been able to locate VG in my local walmart, I have looked in all the places everyone says it would be, it wasn't and no one seems to know what it was, I tried walgreens also, same deal, local pharmacies said they could order it or give me glycerin suppositories (i don't think that would work for what I want it for, LOL) I ended up at Hobby Lobby in the cake/candy decorating isle. It was about knee level next to the icings and such. Wiltons Glycerine 2 oz bottle for $2.18.

SLDS181

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 11, 2009
Western NJ
Errrr... the Glycerin I bought at Walmart last week with Swan label can be either animal or vegetable according to the company that sells it to Walmart. So use caution. NOW VG can usually be bought at health food stores or may be purchased on amazon.com or elsewhere on the web.

USP Glycerin is USP Glycerin. It won't be labeled as animal, vegetable, mineral, or other, it must be called USP Glycerin to have the USP label.

It does not have to be vegetable glycerin to be used.

If you want to use USP Glycerin sourced from plant life only, go for it. But it doesn't matter in terms of it being used in a PV.

I am on the hunt for VG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I spent the whole weekend, well not whole weekend, but a couple hours, searching the local grocery stores and Walmart looking for VG to cut some juice I have that's too high MG and too much flavor... I can't seem to find it anywhere. I'm not sure where to look though, I checked the pharmacy sections and the baking sections and the lotion and soap sections, to no avail...

If anyone could point me in the right direction, I'd really appreciate it. I'd like to just go buy some rather than ordering online, and I'm on the West Coast if that helps. Thanks! :thumb:

I heard somebody once found there's at WalGreen's. You could go through the yellow pages in your local phone book and call some places, save you some running around, if they don't have it ask them to order it.

My husband asked our local city market grocery store to order him some, and they did it.

Just a thought, otherwise, if it's gonna be that much of a hassle to find, you could always order some online and it would probably be here in the amount of time it might take to locate it or have some one else order it for you, if it's that difficult to find, that's what I'd do

But like I said, it's just a thought :)

Thornak

Moved On
Nov 15, 2009
Green Bay, WI

Too much flavor?? I have the opposite problem, everything I try has a flavor that is way too subtle.

kase

ECF Veteran
Oct 27, 2009
Everett WA
www.myspace.com
I've got some blueberry and marlbro from myfreedomsmokes that is WAY too flavorful for me. I'm a vapor guy though myself, I want huge clouds. I'll try the Rite Aid and Walgreens near my work today, or maybe the healthfood store. I asked at Walmart and searched and searched to no avail, which doesn't at all mean it wasn't there... Just that me and the idiot working there could not find it together. LOL :D

markarich159

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2009
PA, USA
Although SLDS181 is absolutely right, Glycerine , USP is Glycerine, USP(1,2,3 propanetriol) and made to USP compendial standards. The Humco brand has been verified to be vegetable sourced Glycerine(by the QA person at Humco). Humco contract packages(meaning, places their manufactured product into other company's bottles) for every major pharmacy label in the country. From their company information they contract package for the following:

Among our wholesale customers are McKesson Healthcare Solutions, Cardinal Health and AmerisourceBergen(which is the Family Phamacy and Good Neighbor Pharmacy labels) along with most regional wholesalers. In addition, Humco supplies products to Walgreens, CVS, Rite Aid and Wal-Mart.

So any Glycerine, USP labeled in any of the above mentioned Pharmacy lables(i.e Family Pharmacy, Good Neighbor Pharmacy, CVS, Rite Aid, Walgreen's and Walmart labels) IS USP grade AND Vegetable sourced.

As for Swan's label. I cannot honestly believe that it is animal sourced(due to the issues with porcine(pig) sourcing that I referred to in another thread.) However Bluesuede, I did read your reference in another thread as well and certainly understand your concerns, and I have a call into Carol Jones(she has not called back) to see if she may have misspoken in her communication to you. The only reason I can think that a Walmart pharmacy would even have Swan Label Glycerine to sell to you would be that it was in the back of the pharmacy, specifically for compounding of topical creams/ointments etc..., and they decided to sell it to you because they were not compounding enough and wanted to get rid of it. Although if it is USP grade, it is perfectly safe to use. The injestion warning is due to the fact that Glycerine injested in moderate to large quantities will act as a VERY effective laxative and may, therefore, cause electrolyte imbalances(because of this laxative effect) in predisposed individuals

Again, any Humco packaged Glycerine, USP I mentioned above IS veg sourced and made to USP specs.

P.S. Anyone can feel free to purchase VG from a health food store, and it probably will be perfectly safe( and possibly a bit less expensive), but just remember, health food products(vitamins/herbs/other health food items etc...) are not regulated to the higher standards that OTC drugs and OTC formulations labeled with the USP standard. Reference the Dietary Supplement Health and Education Act of 1994 for more information on the differences.

Last edited:

xybe

ECF Veteran
Nov 5, 2009
Montevideo, Uruguay.
USP Glycerin is USP Glycerin. It won't be labeled as animal, vegetable, mineral, or other, it must be called USP Glycerin to have the USP label.

If you want to use USP Glycerin sourced from plant life only, go for it. But it doesn't matter in terms of it being used in a PV.

Here in Uruguay the glycerin I found is labeled as USP so I'll assume it's not VG. I understand it is safe to inhale, but is it safe for the attys as well?

Thanks.

bluesuede

ECF Veteran
Sep 28, 2009
Central PA, USA
I really do not feel all that comfortable inhaling a product that has a warning label on it that says to contact doctor or poison control center if accidentally ingested. But maybe that's just me. Perhaps they are just covering their butts, but why would they need to? Anyway, I won't be using it (Swan Glycerin). I ordered from another source. :)

bluesuede

ECF Veteran
Sep 28, 2009
Central PA, USA
Although SLDS181 is absolutely right, Glycerine , USP is Glycerine, USP(1,2,3 propanetriol) and made to USP compendial standards. The Humco brand has been verified to be vegetable sourced Glycerine(by the QA person at Humco). Humco contract packages(meaning, places their manufactured product into other company's bottles) for every major pharmacy label in the country. From their company information they contract package for the following:

Among our wholesale customers are McKesson Healthcare Solutions, Cardinal Health and AmerisourceBergen(which is the Family Phamacy and Good Neighbor Pharmacy labels) along with most regional wholesalers. In addition, Humco supplies products to Walgreens, CVS, Rite Aid and Wal-Mart.

So any Glycerine, USP labeled in any of the above mentioned Pharmacy lables(i.e Family Pharmacy, Good Neighbor Pharmacy, CVS, Rite Aid, Walgreen's and Walmart labels) IS USP grade AND Vegetable sourced.

As for Swan's label. I cannot honestly believe that it is animal sourced(due to the issues with porcine(pig) sourcing that I referred to in another thread.) However Bluesuede, I did read your reference in another thread as well and certainly understand your concerns, and I have a call into Carol Jones(she has not called back) to see if she may have misspoken in her communication to you. The only reason I can think that a Walmart pharmacy would even have Swan Label Glycerine to sell to you would be that it was in the back of the pharmacy, specifically for compounding of topical creams/ointments etc..., and they decided to sell it to you because they were not compounding enough and wanted to get rid of it. Although if it is USP grade, it is perfectly safe to use. The injestion warning is due to the fact that Glycerine injested in moderate to large quantities will act as a VERY effective laxative and may, therefore, cause electrolyte imbalances(because of this laxative effect) in predisposed individuals

Again, any Humco packaged Glycerine, USP I mentioned above IS veg sourced and made to USP specs.

P.S. Anyone can feel free to purchase VG from a health food store, and it probably will be perfectly safe( and possibly a bit less expensive), but just remember, health food products(vitamins/herbs/other health food items etc...) are not regulated to the higher standards that OTC drugs and OTC formulations labeled with the USP standard. Reference the Dietary Supplement Health and Education Act of 1994 for more information on the differences.

It will be very interesting to see what Carol Jones has to say if she returns your call. Please keep us informed. Thank you for your patience and willingness to step up to the plate to correct some possible misconceptions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread