Mini sub cracked...

Status
Not open for further replies.

BryanM

Verified Member
Jan 27, 2012
Williamsburg, VA
About a week after I got my mini sub tank.. I noticed a small crack, starting from the base leading towards the other end. It was about a quarter of the way up the tank. A couple weeks later (today), the crack is now more than half the way up the tank.

I've been using Rootbeer Float in this tank... Is that the cause of the problem? Any chance I can mend this up with just superglue?

No leaks from the crack yet. Not looking for a refund...

I think can post some pics if it helps.

pwyll

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 24, 2011
Frank's ford, in the Caintuck
Here is a possibly out-dated list of juices and ingredients known (and suspected) to damage polycarbonate:

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...icas-newest-submarine-tank-7.html#post5196472

The Perfumer's Apprentice Root Beer flavouring is one of the ones listed, as well as any oil-based flavour--so if sassafras oil is used to create the root beer flavouring it will be "dangerous" to polycarbonate. On the other hand, chemically-induced damage to polycarbonate generally manifests as hazing and/or multiple cracks from the onset, so it may well be that there was already a micro-fracture from the cutting of the tubing and the juice is attacking that--creating a problem that wouldn't have existed without both the pre-existing micro-crack and the possibly questionable juice.

There is a chance you could mend it with superglue, BUT--consumer-grade cyanoacrylate glues will breakdown with constant exposure to water/liquid and (it is my understanding that) anything in your juice that may be reacting with the polycarbonate is likely to cause the same issues with cyanoacrylate.

The common DIY fix for making tanks for juices that destroy polycarbonate is to take a syringe or juice bottle with the same inner diameter as the polycarbonate tubing and cut a section of it to fit. Of course doing this will remove the thumbscrew filler hole, but polypropylene is soft enough the drilling a hole smaller than the screw should let it "self-tap" and work.

P.S. if the superglue you are talking about using is specifically labelled for use in aquariums, it should work okay and be fine for use. If the initial problem is with the juice, though, it will likely cause cracks in other areas as well, but using "aquarium grade" cyanoacrylate will at least prolong the life of the tube for quite a while...

pwyll

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 24, 2011
I have 3 of these tanks for about 2 months now. I have been pretty careful with them, never leaving them in a hot car or using citric juices. They have all cracked. The crack starts at the screw hole and runs up and down the tank. For the price and convenience of the tank I guess it is an ok lifespan but still kind of disappointing.

:(

The nature of polycarbonate is to be brittle. That's one reason why some vendors get away with (i.e. manage to sell) a single inch-long "replacement tube" for the price of a 6 foot length of tubing--it can be difficult to cut without cracking or breaking it. Evidently the tapping process creates enough stress that constantly using the filler screw will crack (or expand micro fractures) the tank over time. I've got a couple of the submarine tanks I haven't used yet and they are still pristine.

Unfortunately this is the sort of thing that only shows up over time and in real-world use, like finding out some vaping juices destroy "unbreakable" plastic. It's much easier to figure out why/how something happened than it is to predict that it will :(

moishesmom

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 27, 2012
west bloomfield
About a week after I got my mini sub tank.. I noticed a small crack, starting from the base leading towards the other end. It was about a quarter of the way up the tank. A couple weeks later (today), the crack is now more than half the way up the tank.

I've been using Rootbeer Float in this tank... Is that the cause of the problem? Any chance I can mend this up with just superglue?

Hi Bryan....I wonder what happened. I've used M&P's Sub & Mini-Sub exclusively for approx. 6 months now & have never had a problem. I love these tanks & I'm sure I've even had a few of the no-no brews (DIY) in them & I won't even mention the occasional "oops" it fell. If you figure out what caused it, please let us know....

BryanM

Verified Member
Jan 27, 2012
Williamsburg, VA
Sorry... it's been awhile since I've logged in to look at the ECF posts.

Its a pretty long and straight crack.... started at a 1/4 of the way from the base... and has grown, nearly to the top now.

I've got other minisubs (3 others) that I have no issues or cracks with. Just seemed odd..

Pic attached...

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:

BryanM

Verified Member
Jan 27, 2012
Williamsburg, VA
Bryan.....I read a while back about someone cracked his by tightning the screw to tightly. Since you have 3 others, I'm pretty sure that's not what happened here.

Well... the crack is about 1.5 cm from the screw.

My OP was really trying to figure out if this was from the Rootbeer float. I'd hate to give it up. I'm getting some conflicting answers on this.

I suppose I could've dropped it at some point when I got it... Dont think so... but it's possible. I just wanted to try to rule out the juice.

r77r7r

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes

My OP was really trying to figure out if this was from the Rootbeer float. I'd hate to give it up. I'm getting some conflicting answers on this.

I suppose I could've dropped it at some point when I got it... Dont think so... but it's possible. I just wanted to try to rule out the juice.

I vape unflavored and mine are cracking. 3 of mine are cracking from the screw hole. I'd be careful laying the cracked ones down also, I'm noticing puddles.

moishesmom

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 27, 2012
    west bloomfield

My Sub is a good 6 months old & is in constant use. The only thing I see happening is a little wear around the screw hole but no problem. As a matter of fact it just fell on ceramic flooring & the top of my tip (my favorite no less) broke right off but no damage to the tank. Did you check the list of juices that are known to damage? I can't imagine your rootbeer doing it, but you never know.

I just read a post where the fella was really upset because his 'cinnamon' juice killed his glass tank & grommets! I still say, for the money & ease of use, I'm sticking with these. I'm sure M&P will help you out with questions,etc.; their cs is fantastic.

pwyll

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    May 24, 2011
    Sorry... it's been awhile since I've logged in to look at the ECF posts.

Its a pretty long and straight crack.... started at a 1/4 of the way from the base... and has grown, nearly to the top now.

I've got other minisubs (3 others) that I have no issues or cracks with. Just seemed odd..

Pic attached...

While it is possible that your rootbeer float is the cause, I would think that it's most likely just aggravating the issue if it's involved at all. Like I mentioned before, the nature of the polycarbonate tubing is such that the tanks can be made with cracks/fractures that are too small to see but that can grow over time.

I don't know if you've seen P. Busardo's review of the minisubs, but one thing he found is that Mom and Pop's tanks had the strongest grip of any tanks he'd tested up to that point. That grip is a function of pressure which is, in this design, placed fully on the tank. This means that M&P's minisubs are less tolerant of manufacturing defects than other polycarbonate tank designs.

I wouldn't worry about the juice too much, but you might want to look into the Tank Repair Kit since the crack is not going to get any better ;)

P0P

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Nov 23, 2011
    C'Ville Virginia
    momandpopvaporshop.com
    about a week after i got my mini sub tank.. I noticed a small crack, starting from the base leading towards the other end. It was about a quarter of the way up the tank. A couple weeks later (today), the crack is now more than half the way up the tank.

I've been using rootbeer float in this tank... Is that the cause of the problem? Any chance i can mend this up with just superglue?

post some pics please!! bryanm I think we all have seen and heard of this!

Last edited:

P0P

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Nov 23, 2011
    C'Ville Virginia
    momandpopvaporshop.com
    I have 3 of these tanks for about 2 months now. I have been pretty careful with them, never leaving them in a hot car or using citric juices. They have all cracked. The crack starts at the screw hole and runs up and down the tank. For the price and convenience of the tank I guess it is an ok lifespan but still kind of disappointing.

thats not bad i have had 3 G.E appliances go in that amount of time! I know how you feel my friend:)

P0P

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Nov 23, 2011
    C'Ville Virginia
    momandpopvaporshop.com
    We all know as avid vapors the ups and downs of the tanks . I must say if i was paying 8 bucks for a pack of smokes and packed them! and had a 1/4 inch of paper hanging off my smoke i be disappointed also LOL Good lord !. Honestly we have sold plenty of the Tanks and they have a very high success rate we are also coming out with 7 wonderful new colors to our tank arsenal. They are being tested now. I hope 99% of our customer like them and i feel bad for the 1% that have an issue and i will be happy to do what i can to help them :):banana:

r77r7r

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    Since this thread popped up...........My cracked tank was not from my eliquid- I only vape unflavored. Seeing that the only place I got the small, unleaking crack was at the screw hole, I am inclined to believe that it is structural.

I believe that My cracks are from overtightening- the pressure from when the screw touching the carto pushes out against the tank. User-error.

Seeing how one of these tanks is from last Jan., It's still a great tank and great value. I was just a little peeved when I had posted earlier because I had just received a new one and it was cracked as shipped, or during shipping.

None of these cracked tanks that I own have leaked and I thank M&P for selling them.

pwyll

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    May 24, 2011
    If a tank (any tank) has only a single crack in it, it's almost definitely structural and/or impact/stress-related. Cracking caused by juices do not always manifest as hazing or a spiderweb but there will most likely be a few cracks.

As far as receiving one already damaged, I'm pretty sure Pop checks them before packing and I highly doubt that it left the shop in that state. On the other hand, I've heard of plenty of cases of people receiving pyrex tanks that have been crushed or shattered so it wouldn't surprise me at all if some of these arrive damaged. I hope you dropped a line on their website, or sent an email, when you got it--I know they'd want the opportunity to make it right...

:)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread