New member from CT

Status
Not open for further replies.

atlanticx

Oct 11, 2012
Connecticut
hello all.

i am looking forward to learning a bunch from y'all, and eventually getting to the point were i'll be able to speak all the lingo without hesitation.

i am very new to the e-cig scene, but was referred by a member "John D in CT." because new members cannot send PM's, i'll just put what i wanted to ask here. we met at a taco bell earlier this year in canton where my buddy was working, and you had an e-cig that i almost instantly fell in love with. if i remember correctly, we sat there for a good 30 minutes talking about it. i just recently found the piece of paper that told me to look here for you. :p

being new, i cannot honestly remember anything about the e-cig that you had besides the fact that i loved it, so if by some odd chance that you stumble upon this post, i would love to hear back from you about what parts you bought and put together.

that being said, i am also extremely open to other suggestions from other members regarding "noob" DIY e-cigs. i have a Peak vPro, but peak unfortunately went out of business. so i do not have anywhere to get the same refillable cartridges. time for a new e-cig. i have not done but 5 minutes of research so far, but am planning to do quite a bit.

if anyone has any suggestions on where to start, it would be greatly appreciated! once again, hello all! it's good to be part of the community.

~BK

Plumes.91

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2012
United States
Welcome to the forums! I'm from the CT area as well! I recommend familiarizing yourself with the terms "eGo" and "18650 mod" (also, look at pictures of 18650 mods to get a feel for their size) also, look up "variable voltage" and "variable wattage" keywords in the forum search bar at the top of the page. If you want a smaller vaporizer, aka e-cig, you can go with either a Volt, or a Bloog, (also known as 808-D cigarette style e-cigarettes) or, bump up the power with a sharpie sized eGo device. OR, if you don't mind a little bigger, with 1.5 days of battery life, and the ability to keep 1 battery on the charger, go with an 18650 battery sized mod, such as a Bolt, a Silver Bullet, a BB, or even something like the Smoktek telescoping mod from Madvapes LLC - E Cigarettes, Electronic Cigarettes, Vaping Supplies OR you can go with the bigger mods that give you the ability to switch your voltage, aka your power, to fine tune your vaping experience. These include the LavaTube, the Vmax, the Zmax, the eGo Twist, the BuzzPro, or the Provari. You'll also want to research atomizers and cartomizers, and perhaps cartomizer tanks. (maybe even rebuildable tanks, such as the Vivi-Nova) and you'll want to familiarize yourself with atomizer (aka atty) and cartomizer (aka carto) ohms, such as low resistance (lower power, aka lower voltage) and high resistance attys/cartos, which will require higher power attys and cartomizers. "Ohms" are the term for the resistance of an atomizer or a cartomizer. The lower the ohms, the lower the voltage, the higher ohm the atty/carto, the higher the voltage you'll want to use. (for a good vaping experience)

Most eGos are fixed voltage, around 3.7 volts. Most fixed volt 18650 mods are also at 3.7 volts. You should use a medium resisted atty/carto with eGos for the best battery life, although you can use low resisted atty/cartos with eGos. You can use low resistance atty/cartos on any big battery fixed volt mod that uses 18650 sized batteries. With a variable voltage device, you don't really have to worry about what ohm your atty/carto is, because you can adjust the voltage of the device to match the ohm of the attys/cartos u have.

The cheapest of the different types of devices depends on what you'll want and need. I have seen big battery mods going for cheaper than the eGo kits, although, you will need 2 batteries and a charger and cartomizers or atomizers. Cartomizers can be filled with juice, and the polyfill within them will hold the juice until you suck it toward the heating element (atomizer, aka heating coils) at the bottom of the cartomizer. With an Atomizer, you will be dripping juice every 5-8 drags, which gives you great flavor, but is less convenient, especially on the go. With a carto TANK, the carto sits inside of a tube. The carto has a hole punched into the side. You fill the tube with juice, and as you suck on the carto, the juice will enter the hole in the carto, and reach the atomizer(heating coils) thus vaporizing your liquid.

I recommend 16mg to 18mg juice for beginners, and I usually recommend the lower mg over the higher... because I personally know what its like to THINK you need higher mg juice, only to find out after it gets to your front door that you've ordered too high a nicotine content of juice... and then your stuck vaping and getting kinda sick, from too much nicotine.

I recommend going through the forum. Search for keywords like "Noob questions" and "beginner" and a few good threads should come up of course. In the new members area there are a lot of great threads that make me wonder why I'm even writing all of this when I should just be referring you there! LOL

You'll probably settle on an eGo style device as most new vaporers do. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask them here and one of the members of the site will help out, I'll come check back as soon as I see an update as well. I'm from CT so as soon as you have your PM privileges, shoot me one, and maybe we can talk some more and I can help you out in finding a local vendor of batteries or supplies. There is one located near me, but I really DISLIKE them and advise you stay away from them. So, let me know when/if you'd like to talk. Hope to see you posting around the forum as a regular member eventually.

Enjoy your new hobby/obsession. You quit just in time. 50% of every smoker in the United States WILL DIE of lung cancer. 25% of the US population smokes, that means 12% of the US population dies of lung cancer each year :D Good thing ya quit, right!? :)

John D in CT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 27, 2012
Connecticut
I'm surprised John hasn't been on here yet. He gives good advice to a lot of new people. Just check through the threads and start reading, it's a bit overwhelming at first but you will get used to it.

"I'm surprised John hasn't been on here yet .... " John just got out of bed! lol I require nine hours of sleep, and I was up until 5AM. Do the math. :)

hello all.

i am looking forward to learning a bunch from y'all, and eventually getting to the point were i'll be able to speak all the lingo without hesitation.

i am very new to the e-cig scene, but was referred by a member "John D in CT." because new members cannot send PM's, i'll just put what i wanted to ask here. we met at a taco bell earlier this year in canton where my buddy was working, and you had an e-cig that i almost instantly fell in love with. if i remember correctly, we sat there for a good 30 minutes talking about it. i just recently found the piece of paper that told me to look here for you. :p

being new, i cannot honestly remember anything about the e-cig that you had besides the fact that i loved it, so if by some odd chance that you stumble upon this post, i would love to hear back from you about what parts you bought and put together.

that being said, i am also extremely open to other suggestions from other members regarding "noob" DIY e-cigs. i have a Peak vPro, but peak unfortunately went out of business. so i do not have anywhere to get the same refillable cartridges. time for a new e-cig. i have not done but 5 minutes of research so far, but am planning to do quite a bit.

if anyone has any suggestions on where to start, it would be greatly appreciated! once again, hello all! it's good to be part of the community.

~BK

Good God, Brian, don't tell people that you know me! Now they're going to think you're also a pompous, opinionated douchewad! LMAO!!

I do get carried away, because cigarettes are so deadly, and they killed my father, and they're now killing my best friend, and I hate what they do to people.

And Brian - get a load of this! I'm so passionate about getting people off of ciggies that the night before last, I was at the Canton Citgo (because I've already been banned for life from the Canton Mobil for telling people about vaping), and I saw a kid crush out a .... as he was walking in the front door, so I told him all about the Twist and Vivi Nova I had around my neck. He was truly excited, and I told him about ECF, and how to find out all about it. Then my friend Linda came in, and I saw that she was buying a pack of Marlb Blacks, so I told her all about it.

Yada yada ....... and they call the cops on me, two cop cars come racing in, and the next thing I know I'm up against my car getting frisked, and getting grilled about the funny thing around my neck.

I have the whole thing on tape, too. All the events leading up to it, the conversation I was having with the clerks when they discovered that they were losing the logical argument about vaping and decided to "win" it by having me harassed, and my conversation with the cops. Pretty interesting night, interesting recording, and actually very funny in spots. :)

So yeah, I'm a little bit passionate about this, and sometimes get into a little trouble. [And oh well, there's still Danny's Exxon LMAO]

Anyway, I read your email and you're on the right track, but we need to have a phone conversation. We can record that as well, and maybe post it in here, since a lot more info can be conveyed by voice than by typing, for sure.

Give me a buzz - before I get locked up. :)

Last edited:

John D in CT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 27, 2012
Connecticut

atlanticx

Oct 11, 2012
Connecticut
Enjoy your new hobby/obsession. You quit just in time. 50% of every smoker in the United States WILL DIE of lung cancer. 25% of the US population smokes, that means 12% of the US population dies of lung cancer each year :D Good thing ya quit, right!? :)

Thanks for your post! I will certainly be PMing you once i get my privileges for help around CT for stores and such. I am ordering my first vape apparatus within minutes and will certainly let you all know what i am getting!

~BK

John D in CT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 27, 2012
Connecticut
where in CT is everybody...?
I grew up in Norwalk... lived in Stamford & Manchester..

of course I hated it, I left to move to San Francisco in '95... but my dad is still in Hartford so I get down there every now & then....

LMAO at "of course I hated it". :laugh:

People elsewhere might not understand why that's an "of course" thing, but I hear ya, sister!

When my family moved here, I took one look at Hartford and said "what the hell is that? That's not even a city!" LOLOL

You know you're in trouble when your big draw is that you're "halfway between NYC and Boston". (Now those are cities). :)

Anyway, I'm in the Farmington Valley, in a town right on the Farmington River. Very pretty, very boring, and filled with people who tend to have their noggins inserted into the terminus of their digestive tract. I'm looking forward very much to travelling extensively, let us just say. To put it another way; "Connecticut is a very good place to be from". LOL

[This ad had been brought to you by the Connecticut Chamber of Commerce and the Connecticut Office of Tourism.]

http://www.ctvisit.com/

Last edited:

Krookie

Oct 11, 2012
Connecticut
I was born and raised in Greenwich (yeah, yeah I know-not one of those though!) and moved to Norwalk about two years ago. I'm in the west end and it's super nice being surrounded by all the trees. BTW you guys probably already heard of this but they legalized medical ......... here (CT) a week ago or so. How crazy is that! I do not partake myself for the record and don't have much of an opinion on it either way but never thought I'd see that coming anytime soon!

*John: "Connecticut, Still Revolutionary" LOL!*

John D in CT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 27, 2012
Connecticut
Idk I like connecticut and I've always loved hartford. Of course, your all from the wealthier parts of the state. I suppose I like my part of the state because... I liked mischief growing up. :evil:

Everyone gets 4 guesses for where I am! lol

Aaaah, so you're the one who likes Connecticut. I heard that there was someone who did, but I didn't believe it; I stand corrected. :)

OK, my four guesses:

1) Bridgeport
2) Cheshire (ties in with the mischief maybe? "Cheshire Academy for the Chronically Misguided"? :)
3) Naugatuck Valley
4) New Haven

5) Waterbury (New rule - everyone gets 5 guesses) :)

[Apologies to everyone from Bridgeport, Cheshire, Naugatuck, New Haven, or Waterbury - fine places all.] :)

I was born and raised in Greenwich (yeah, yeah I know-not one of those though!) and moved to Norwalk about two years ago. I'm in the west end and it's super nice being surrounded by all the trees. BTW you guys probably already heard of this but they legalized medical ......... here (CT) a week ago or so. How crazy is that! I do not partake myself for the record and don't have much of an opinion on it either way but never thought I'd see that coming anytime soon!

*John: "Connecticut, Still Revolutionary" LOL!*

"yeah, yeah I know-not one of those though!"

Yeah, yeah, that's what all you Yuppie scumbags say. :laugh:

And I had not heard that news from the world of medicine; it's equally irrelevant to me, but is equally surprising!

And Connecticut is hardly what I would call "revolutionary" - or even "evolutionary", for that matter. :)

Last edited:

Krookie

Oct 11, 2012
Connecticut
Plumes:

I'll throw my guess in for Bridgeport, although I have to say for the record it is up and coming along nicely.

John:

Yuppie I am not, but scumbag I may be... kidding! C'mon I had to throw that in there to partially defend my dignity. I will say that I was brought up in a nice town and am very thankful for that, but I am nowhere near the "1%".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread