Which material is the best for wick?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dnrtn2342

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 27, 2012
columbus, ga
I use cotton yarn in my phoenix atty and 2 novas and it works amazing, no waiting, I chainvape like no other flavor outperforms silica 10 to 1. I went to walmart in knitting section. Found a big ball of peaches and cream brand white 100% cotton yarn, boiled in for 30 mins to remove anything extra and its awesome. Ss mesh is on my to do list just haven't got around to using it yet.

Sad Society

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I use cotton yarn in my phoenix atty and 2 novas and it works amazing, no waiting, I chainvape like no other flavor outperforms silica 10 to 1. I went to walmart in knitting section. Found a big ball of peaches and cream brand white 100% cotton yarn, boiled in for 30 mins to remove anything extra and its awesome. Ss mesh is on my to do list just haven't got around to using it yet.

Cotton yarn huh? I'm gonna have to try that. Have you experienced any burn marks on the yarn from the coil heating up like silica wicks do?

flintlock62

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 2, 2012
Arkansas Delta
I work with leather and use linen thread, I also have some hemp thread. I need to test the absobancy quality for the hemp, but if it works, it's about the strongest natural fiber there is next to jute, and hemp is the only material that doesn't rot nor mildew. I personally would trust natural fibers over man made, for the most part.

Last edited:

Lex0r

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 23, 2012
Los Angeles
I use cotton and love it, it wicks so fast. I'm not talking cotton string though. I bought a box of rolled cotton (sterile, etc) at CVS and all you need is a litttlleee pinch to roll into wick shape. You can see how fast it absorbs if you just put a few drops of juice on it. So yeah, a pinch of sterile rolled cotton formed into wick shape gets my vote! Oh and I should add, I have used 3mm silica, 1/0 cotton thread, but never ss mesh).

j4mmin42

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2009
Arcata, Cali
Which material is the best for wick?
I found that the cotton wick in most atomizers are very bad, after one draw u have to wait few mins for the wick to resoak.
Does the SS mesh like the cotton wick from atomizer? I hate to put down my pv and wait.:(
Thanks for sharing ideas!:vapor:

which one is better, cotton bamboo blend yarn or cotton yarn?

I use cotton also so I vote cotton :)

Coke or Pepsi?

Lol, there's a newcomer on the newbie forum having a blast using a tea bag string.

I work with leather and use linen thread, I also have some hemp thread. I need to test the absobancy quality for the hemp, but if it works, it's about the strongest natural fiber there is next to jute, and hemp is the only material that doesn't rot nor mildew. I personally would trust natural fibers over man made, for the most part.

Has anyone tried Cooking Twine?

I vote Bacon.

Seriously, though, SS is probably the best material I've tried to date. Flavor loss? maybe a tiny bit, but you can make up for that by vaping it at higher temps with no burnt taste...

Uma

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2010
Calif
Oh I love the SS mesh in my DID's, and would never change those out. But I am getting some A7's for my Reo Grand and those are the Silica type attys, for Bottom Feeders. I would prefer the cotton over Silica I think. I might do Rolygate's suggestion and put a cotton paper filter inside the drip tip for the Silica... heck, maybe for any of the wicking materials with the A7, and see how they do. Cheesecloth and Cooking Twine sound the easiest for me so far though. I hope the Cooking Twine will work.

j4mmin42

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2009
Arcata, Cali
Oh I love the SS mesh in my DID's, and would never change those out. But I am getting some A7's for my Reo Grand and those are the Silica type attys, for Bottom Feeders. I would prefer the cotton over Silica I think. I might do Rolygate's suggestion and put a cotton paper filter inside the drip tip for the Silica... heck, maybe for any of the wicking materials with the A7, and see how they do. Cheesecloth and Cooking Twine sound the easiest for me so far though. I hope the Cooking Twine will work.

There's no reason you couldn't do an SS build on that atty ;)

I have an A7 coming in the mail, and although it might be a bit of a challenge figuring out where to place the wick- so that it goes into the drip-well completely, but gets enough airflow- I'm sure it will work just fine with a bit of experimentation, possibly something like an "r" or "n" shape with the coil laying horizontally over the airhole?

I was easily able to convert the phoenix to SS, and the Vivi Nova would've worked fine if it wasn't made of garbage- I can't wait to keep converting all the new RBA's that come out... :D

rotohammer

ECF Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
NJ USA
I vote Bacon.

Seriously, though, SS is probably the best material I've tried to date. Flavor loss? maybe a tiny bit, but you can make up for that by vaping it at higher temps with no burnt taste...

I concur with the bacon and stainless! I feel the cotton has a more muted flavor compared to stainless. Not to mention I was always adjusting my voltage up and down with a cotton wick to match its saturation at the moment. Stainless is much more consistent, I set it and forget it now.

flintlock62

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 2, 2012
Arkansas Delta
I concur with the bacon and stainless! I feel the cotton has a more muted flavor compared to stainless. Not to mention I was always adjusting my voltage up and down with a cotton wick to match its saturation at the moment. Stainless is much more consistent, I set it and forget it now.

OK, the bacon is a joke, right?
I thought silver wire would be the best
How about piano wire?

rotohammer

ECF Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
NJ USA
OK, the bacon is a joke, right?
I thought silver wire would be the best
How about piano wire?

In terms of atomizers, yes the bacon reference is a joke, stemming from ofther internet venues, usually computer related.

The value of stainless is that it doesn't deteriorate or transfer heat very well. Silver is an excellent conductor of heat and if it were available as a mesh, I think it would underperform stainless by absorbing the heat we want directed at the liquid.

Piano wire, well, I'm not sure anyone has made a mesh out of it suitable for building a wick. Remember, we are talking mesh here, not wire.

Last edited:

media

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2010
Atlanta
I have some natural bamboo white very small diameter knitting thread. I double it over for 2 wicks on each side because it's so small.

What I have found is to not pull the coil too far down. Leave it to where you can move the wick back and forth through it loosely. Also I set my wick on top of a tooth pick and do a 5 wrap, but when I'm done I unwind the first wrap to make four. Usually the first wrap is sloppy, Just to make it uniform, I notice the first wrap is slanted so I undo it.

I noticed I wasnt getting good results and some dry hits here and there. It was because I pulled the wick too far down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread