Are Tobacco Companies Losing Money in this Battle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cvbella22

Oct 31, 2012
Center, Tx
I just want to know if anyone else knows if the major corporations are losing money due to the world's battle against cancer sticks. I myself have fell victim to these addictive demons and I'm sick of people dying, my clothes stinking, and everything about cigarettes. I have finally completely switched to vapor and hopefully will be done with them too. If anyone has any links verifying what I'm talking about I would love to keep track of this battle. Thank you and I will be trying to keep up with this topic. Have a blessed day!:)

cricque

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
It's a matter of time ... If they start losing alot of money, they will make sure vaping needs to apply to the same rules
Also it will get taxed extra somewhere along the line ... You do not want that your country has less income !

The tobacco lobby is powerfull, they have way too much money. At some point we will pay extra's for all this. Let's hope that day is still far away

DMAudio

ECF Veteran
Oct 23, 2012
Zoocastle
I'd say it's likely offset a lot by the new smokers. I heard a stat years ago of something like 3000 new smokers in a 4 hour period, although can't verify how accurate that was.

If you read a bit of the legislation threads, you'll see that due to the sheer volume of money involved, tobacco companies won't just lay down and die. They'll influence who they need to, to ensure their future profits. Same goes for the pharma companies. It isn't about public health any more!

DM

Bullette the Cowdog

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 5, 2012
Treasure Coast, FL
Keep in mind that cigarette sales are world wide!! Developing countries are where the marketing & sales are going now.
BTW. Who gets revenue from gum, patches, etc??? It can't be ONLY big pharma. I assume big tobacco is involved in this product diversification. Haha. I love their business model. Help folks quit smoking by switching to something that continues their revenue stream.

Vapoor eyes er

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Toronto, Ont.
The short answer...NO they are not losing $$, tobacco sales are down but profits are up and in fact can afford to pay shareholders a dividend. Some also have share buyback progs in place:
Reynold’s America (RAI): dividend yield of 5.50%.
Altria (MO): dividend yield of 5.10%.
Philip Morris (PM): dividend yield of 3.40%.
Also have to understand, as mentioned by another poster, beyond a decade ago they began investing in other areas- real estate, oil, food, booze, insurance, etc. Some have also moved some of their holdings offshore for tax purposes.

I just want to know if anyone else knows if the major corporations are losing money due to the world's battle against cancer sticks. I myself have fell victim to these addictive demons and I'm sick of people dying, my clothes stinking, and everything about cigarettes. I have finally completely switched to vapor and hopefully will be done with them too. If anyone has any links verifying what I'm talking about I would love to keep track of this battle. Thank you and I will be trying to keep up with this topic. Have a blessed day!:)

Last edited:

1vapeatatime

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 29, 2012
Nevada
I vape for the nicotine. Nicotine come from tobacco;nowhere else. Let's hope tobacco companies stay in business for the nicotine, and for the fact that they pay big taxes. Otherwise(and not that they are not already doing this) the feds will look for tax money elsewhere, and we end up paying more for our juices.

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
Losing? Nothing could be further from the truth.
Even government intervention is simply to make the public think they are being heard.
1)Government Runs the Negative publicity campaign
2)Tobacco companies continue doing business
3)Alternative companies sprout up making money and paying taxes
4)John Q. Public foots the whole bill in end sale pricing and taxes.

Ending Tobacco use would mean billions in annual loss of taxable revenue from a diversity of businesses, not just the tobacco companies.

chris_vazquez1

Verified Member
I hope they lose the cigarette battle, BUT if they get into the e-cigarette business more people might try it! Imagine the lobying for e-cigarettes, and commercials encouraging people to try it! It'd be a big boon and you'd see more American corporations making the good stuff. Provari needs a good American competitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread