Status
Not open for further replies.

rojo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2011
Johnson City, TN
Hey Lisa, I saw the notification that the Apprentice goes up for sale Friday and Saturday evenings. Can you give an idea of the time, will another announcement be made before the sale goes live, or should we just F5 and pray? I'm hoping to jump on the 18650 before they disappear.

As long as I'm here, I hope you'll forgive a little further imposition on your time. I've read elsewhere that the previous release of the Apprentice had some inconsistency issues with the touch sensor. Do you know whether the v2's touch sensor addresses these problems, or is its only intentionally updated feature its ability to accept a Kick?

Last edited:

Lisaf01

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2009
UK
www.cremedevape.com
Hiya Rojo,
Can't give any more information on exactly what time they are going up as last time we did that for a product, it brought the site down with about a thousand people all trying to get on at the same time.
It will be between around 7 and 10pm GMT.
We had a few units that went back to Mark Bugs for repair on the last issue - we're unsure what exactly caused this, but believe it was either to do with incorrect battery insertion, or possibly finger on the sensor while trying to insert battery. The circuitry has been completely redone, mainly to accommodate the kick.

However, there weren't actually any inconsistency issues with the touch sensor - that is entirely to do with hands being very dry or in a climate with no humidity or that's been dehumidified. There must be slight moisture on your finger for contact to be made.

If you use a Kick in the new version, then that's an extra layer of complexity, because if you get misfires, it could either be down to very dry hands, or a Kick that needs a good clean (we've had that issue here already - solved by a little sanding of the contacts on the kick) - obviously not due to the Apprentice, but it is something that we'll see as more people get using the Kick in their Apprentice without being aware of the need to keep it perfectly clean.

rojo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2011
Johnson City, TN
Thanks Lisa. Yeah, I predict that as long as I remember to twist the guard over the sensor and put the battery in button side up I won't have much to worry about with the touch sensor's durability. I do intend to use a Kick though, but I'll be sure to keep its contacts polished.

I want one. Lots. My pantry will just have to stay empty for another month or so. :>

Last edited:

Lisaf01

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2009
UK
www.cremedevape.com
We couldn't be sure if not locking it when inserting the battery was the cause of any issues at all, but I must say, I always lock mine automatically when I change the battery and I have used my original Wizard daily since I got it, and use one my Wizard's Apprentice at least weekly too and never had an issue with them.
Hope you get one.

Lisaf01

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2009
UK
www.cremedevape.com
The Titanium Wizard is my main device at the moment, but I also use an Apprentice - often one of the smaller ones for out and about, and I use one of my Precises often too - really depends what I'm using on top mainly.

oh, and thanks for the congrats, we both feel extremely lucky to have found each other (it was right here on ECF actually). :)

rojo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2011
Johnson City, TN
Yep, sorry rojo, unfortunately Her Majesty's Customs & Excise still demand the VAT from us unless we send by a method they accept as proper proof of export (like UPS, which costs a minimum of about £75 ($115) ). :(

Is she still angry about the whole "no taxation without representation" Boston Tea Party dealio a few years ago? I thought she'd have let bygones be bygones by now.

Well, to be honest, i'm not that great at math anyway, especially where there's a currency conversion involved, so I was already estimating about $250. That's pretty close to what the total was including VAT. So i'm not terribly worried about it.

In any case, I can't wait to get my new toy!

Lisaf01

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2009
UK
www.cremedevape.com
It's called HMRC, but she doesn't make any decisions and it's nothing to do with penalising those abroad, merely about providing proof of export, for which they require a carrier that can tell them which flight the package exited the UK aboard, and since Royal Mail don't provide us with that documentation, we can't deduct the VAT.
All our prices used to show in our shop inclusive of VAT wherever you happened to be in the world, but our provider made a change and refuse to alter it back to the way it was, hence the confusion for people.

However, the fact remains that the price incl VAT on Cloud9 is about the same as the price they were on the Mark-Bugs website.

rojo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2011
Johnson City, TN
Ah, you didn't have to dignify that with a response. I was just being funny. Or, rather, not, it seems.

But that is interesting that the posted price includes vat based on the shopper's location. Sounds like it eats into your profits. I hope there's enough left to give you some grocery money.

I appreciate the service you offer. You're a peach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread