When will I stop looking for My pack of smokes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marvin & Sennie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
It's been 5 days of no smoking or whatever we call this. We don't even know how to categorize what we no longer do to what we now do!! Anyway, it's been 5 days and I still reach for that pack of smokes and for that split second have a twinge. How long should I expect this to last? How long before we no longer feel weird vaping in public? How long before we no longer fear getting pulled over and going to jail because cops might not know what we are doing and mistake us for druggies? How long before we stop sounding like a late night infomercial? Ugh!!!

mwmccormick

Verified Member
Oct 11, 2012
Indiana
I've been analog free for a month now and I still reach for the lighter in my pocket. I am a bit paranoid when cops drive by as well. I have, however gotten over vaping in public, but am tired of answering the same questions over and over. Thinking about printing up some cards to hand out, lol.
Be patient, it will all pass in time.

vsummer1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2012
California
I smoked for over 30 years, and it took me maybe a few weeks to fully convert. The morning was the worst, I would wake up and think "time for a cigarette" then "wait! I don't smoke, I need to vape!" now I wake up and think "time for a vape".

You have to rewire the old habit. I hope it takes you no time at all and those cigarette cravings are replaced quickly!

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
LOLOL took me about 3 weeks before I realized theres just no more cigs in the house, when thinking about it it wasnt a craving i was missing it was just a habit I came to expect, pour some coffee grab a smoke, eat dinner grab a smoke. don't worry too much. for most it goes away.......

oh and the one time i was stopped by a cop he was really cool and I think I may have converted him lol.

It's called vaping.

Don't feel weird feel proud, you have now separated yourself from the smokers. I found most of the time in public very few people actually take notice of what im doing.

At work i still head out to talk with peeps on smoke break, after about a month the receptionist saw me exhaling and stated she thought I quit as I didnt stink anymore, when I showed her whats going on she said she wants one for her boyfriend.

Last edited:

Marvin & Sennie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
In public it feels kind of embarrassing... ...? I should be proud not embarrassed!! I'm already sick of explaining them and I want to tell hubs to .... because I'm sick of hearing HIM explain it. I feel like I don't have the right to say I quit smoking because I smoke these. It makes me feel like a fake!! Ugh!!

flintlock62

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 2, 2012
Arkansas Delta
My first experience was with a cig-a-like. I still carried a lighter in my pocket, pulled it out and tried to light my e-cig! That was embarrassing!

It's been 5 days of no smoking or whatever we call this. We don't even know how to categorize what we no longer do to what we now do!! Anyway, it's been 5 days and I still reach for that pack of smokes and for that split second have a twinge. How long should I expect this to last? How long before we no longer feel weird vaping in public? How long before we no longer fear getting pulled over and going to jail because cops might not know what we are doing and mistake us for druggies? How long before we stop sounding like a late night infomercial? Ugh!!!

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
In public it feels kind of embarrassing... ...? I should be proud not embarrassed!! I'm already sick of explaining them and I want to tell hubs to .... because I'm sick of hearing HIM explain it. I feel like I don't have the right to say I quit smoking because I smoke these. It makes me feel like a fake!! Ugh!!

Take the other side, yea it gets tiring explaining it but tell people how much healthier you will feel, how much money you will save and how your house no longer stinks. and no you don't "smoke these" there is nothing burning, there is not 100's of chemicals in your body anymore, and honestly tell them I like smoking but its a nasty habit that im glad I could finally stop doing.

Vince Clortho

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 2, 2012
upstairs
Man going to the grocery store and passing the cig kiosk... so weird. It's like a magnetic attraction, I just felt so drawn. But it passes, and soon when you leave the house you won't be feeling like you forgot something. It's funny when someone asks you for a lighter and you no longer have one.

The out-in-public vape gets easier as well. And apparently the fuzz know about ecigs so no worries. Really who cares what others think? We live in a society of non-thinkers afterall eh, so people probably aren't thinking anyway.

Beans

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2011
Missoula Montana
Your doing great! Expect those strong urges to last 2-3 weeks. Once your no longer addicted to all those nasty drugs BT put in your smokes to hook you, you'll feel much better.

I've always been a bit of a rebel with NO criminal record :D So I never worry about the cops. I've tried to rouse their suspicions with my PV's and I just get ignored. So feel safe..

As to Vaping in public.......I am so PROUD of myself, I wouldn't even concider hiding my PV. I smoked 1-2 ppd for 27 years and never truly believed I could ever quit. But I did, and it's one of my biggest accomplishments in life. If I hid what I was doing, I'm stealing the chance to expose another smoker to a safer alternative. Think of the bigger picture......think of the daughters, mothers, or sons who won't have to watch their loved ones die slowly because YOU were a role model and showed them there was a better way.....

LMAO, after almost 2 years, I still sound like an infomercial. That part never goes away :)
Vape on!

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
In the end who cares what someone else thinks, we have to retrain ourselves to accept who we are, you can put all the negative commercials on tv you want people who want to smoke are going to smoke, if you use this to quit completely thats awsome.
I like smoking, i liked it better then just getting a fix, I enjoyed the feeling, the taste and just didnt want to stop. they could make chemical free nic free smokes and it wouldnt have stopped me.
In the end If your going to continue we have to retrain ourselves to realize, the cig was more then a habit or addiction. It was a friend, always there, good times, bad times, new house, new job, new town, it was always there, never judged us and readily available.

no matter what happens in our lives for most smokers there was one thing that never changed. and we did whatever we had to to make sure we had more, think about how many times you ran out to the store, in the rain, the cold, just for smokes when you actually didnt need anything else?
It can be hard mentally to feel like your somewhere in between smoking and not smoking but always realize the positives and you will start to feel different.

NetteG

ECF Veteran
Aug 22, 2012
NE
I'm coming up on 3 months in and STILL think every once in awhile that I need to stop at the gas station just down from my house and grab a carton for the hubby and myself. I still think I need to step outside to vape at times (we were outside of the house and/or garage smokers).

I agree though, be proud of your accomplishment and vape to your hearts content .......

YoureFired

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 28, 2012
The Berserkshires, MA
My first experience was with a cig-a-like. I still carried a lighter in my pocket, pulled it out and tried to light my e-cig! That was embarrassing!

Haha, sounds like something I would do. Six months smoke-free and I still reach for my pocket lighter when I go take a vape break.

I smoked for 17 years and about three weeks ago made the switch to vaping. Sometimes I still ask myself if I need to grab a pack of cigarettes as I drive by the convenience store. Sometimes I even feel restless, the increase in energy may contribute to this, like I need to go for a walk and grab a pack. Thankfully I have zero desire to follow through on either thought. I am very grateful for a satisfactory alternative. Loved smoking so much I had resigned myself to the thought that it would probably kill me.

"...when they used to tell me I would shorten my life ten years by smoking, they little knew the devotee they were wasting their puerile word upon -- they little knew how trivial and valueless I would regard a decade that had no smoking in it!" ~Mark Twain

Let me also say thanks to those on this forum that are helping me to feel more comfortable "vaping" in public. Went to a movie theater and asked them about "smoking" my e-cig beforehand and they said it was not allowed. No wonder when I still used the "smoking" terminology. From here on out I will vape first and explain later. Easier to ask forgiveness than to get permission I guess:)

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
My joy is thumbing my nose at the carton of cigs that still sit in my refridgerator. I have not given them away or thrown them out. Basically because I am afraid if I do, I will want them. Right now that works for me. Just today is the first time that I have actually thought about what one would taste like. I am not going to go there. I will get my higher nic out and vape on that for a while :)

I have to say this, this is the EASIEST quit smoking I have EVER done! I have tried so many times and failed. I had been a smoker for over 40 years at a pack a day! I have been a non-smoker (YES that is what I am) for over a month now. I do not smoke, I am addicted to nic. I vape. I am a vaper, that is NOT smoke that is coming out of my mouth, it is vapor! When I am not vaping on my device, there is no vapor coming off the tip, it is not burning at the end. There is no smoke. Therefore, I am not smoking.

Retrain your mind. Keep repeating this to yourself. Eventually you will believe this to be the truth (which it is) and you will have a better chance of making the naysayers believers also.

Good luck in your journey. :)

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Everyone's experience is a little different, as these posts reveal. When you feel the strong urge for a cigarette, just vape harder instead for a few minutes. If that doesn't get rid of the urge, then allow yourself part of a cigarette. But don't trick yourself into believing you need that cigarette. The electronic cigarette is fully capable to provide your body the nicotine it craves. Psychologically it may take longer to convince yourself you no longer want the analogs.

Vaping has some major things going for it that other nicotine-delivery systems don't. Vaping allows one to continue the hand-to-mouth ritual that has become ingrained into our behavior while receiving nicotine. The warm vapor on inhalation and exhalation into our mouth, throat, and lungs comes as close to smoke as you are going to get. That was the downfall of the nicotine patch and gum in my opinion, they couldn't replicate what an e-cigarette can accomplish when compared to smoking an analog.

I had similar issues as yourselves when vaping in public at first. However, the more I did it, the more comfortable I became. I've actually had very few people even take notice of my vaping when out and about. I've used my large and colorful mods everywhere. The people who need to know what they are, do know. I asked the security girl at an outdoor concert would I be allowed for to use my electronic cigarette, and she approved. A security guard at a professional sports event approved of me using them, too.

I've not had any interaction with a police officer, but my ex-wife is a cop and she currently is borrowing my Smokeless Image Volt X2 batteries and clearomizers to try out.

If you are ever in a position to explain what it is (which I find unlikely that you will), honestly say that you are using the electronic cigarette to help you stop smoking. The little information cards are a great way to explain this, if you are uncomfortable to explain it verbally yourself. It helps to explain that it doesn't make smoke, but water vapor.

I've never understood the misconception that people will think you are using an illegal device. Who are these people? How would they know what an illegal device looked like, anyway? :blink: I'd ask them what kind of people do they hang around. :glare:

Like many others here, I am proud of myself for having finally quit smoking after 30+ years. I make no attempt to hide this, therefore none of my vaping gear can be mistaken for a cigarette. I do not put myself in that category anymore. I am a former smoker who quit, using an electronic cigarette device. :thumbs:

I actually do not like the label of electronic cigarette, but when explaining it to other people, it is the easiest explanation. I prefer the advanced vaporizer label, but that seems to require much more explanation.

Last edited:

Mustang73064

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 2, 2012
Mustang, OK
Congratulations on your 5th day... :toast: I have a lanyard attached to one of my vaping machines and it hangs around my neck, I get the "urge" and I know where to reach.. :) The urge is not for a cigarette but for the feel of something in our hand and the motion of puffing on something and blowing smoke. Heck after 40+ years of a PAD there was no taste thats for sure, just the hand/mouth/puff action.
LOL .. if an officer of the law stops me they will be in for an education, Infomercial always. :evil:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread