• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

so why do e cigs dehydrate you ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cool_Breeze

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2011
Kentucky
To avoid the dehydration I added 'some' water, not a lot, and switched from regular coffee to mostly decaffeinated. I still have two cups of regular to start the day. I haven't noticed much in the way of problems with dehydration since my early days.

Tip: When brewing decaf, add an extra scoop of grinds grounds...

Last edited:

Yves

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 23, 2012
Matamata, New Zealand
I could give you the chemical reasons but I think you want a simple answer... Think about all the vaper that you breathe out, that is all water coming from your body...that is what you are replacing and no it does not have to be water, any fluid will do, so long as you replace what you are taking from your body. lol Just thought alcohol is fluid but that also dehydrates, so would not be a total replacement :D

yuttynutt

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 28, 2011
Minnesota
I could give you the chemical reasons but I think you want a simple answer... Think about all the vaper that you breathe out, that is all water coming from your body...that is what you are replacing and no it does not have to be water, any fluid will do, so long as you replace what you are taking from your body. lol Just thought alcohol is fluid but that also dehydrates, so would not be a total replacement :D

This is it. It took me a while to get used to drinking so much anything used to just be coffee. Now I am always sipping on a bottle of Smartwater. I just keep it handy I don't chug alot I just sip after about ten pulls or so but if you notice that your juice lost it's flavor you are beginnring to get dehydrated. So drink up and vape Away!

Sent from my DROIDX using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

Shining Wit

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2008
North of England UK
www.flavourart.co.uk
PG and VG are Humectants.

Humectants are additives that bind water and help to retain moisture. Although humectants have applications in many industries - pharmaceutical, cosmetic, veterinary - they are commonly used in foods. Water activity reduction achieved by adding humectants to food enhances stability, maintains texture, and reduces microbial activity.

Humectant use in foods is widespread and has a long history. Salt and sugar are the oldest, most widely used humectants. Other commonly used humectants include sorbitol, glycerol, and propylene glycol.

PG and VG absorb some water when vaped, but the main vapour is produced from the liquid, not from the tiny amount of moisture absorbed from your body. If you attach an ecig to a suction pump, similar to that used in trials for the Clearstream Protocol, vapour is produced without any contact with the body or other moisture-holding materials.

So yes, vaping will dehydrate you to some extent, proportional to the amount you vape.

John

No chemistry books were harmed in the making of this post ;-)

Edit: Glycerol was formerly classified as a diuretic, but it is now accepted that there is little extra urine flow at doses between 1.0 to 1.5 g/kg. In September 1997, the US Olympic Committee removed the ban on glycerol.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread