The Deadly Crusade Against E-cigarettes

Status
Not open for further replies.

McDougal

ECF Veteran
Nov 14, 2011
Louisville, KY
The United States: where multiple financial institutions can practice fraud on an unprecedented, massive scale with no prosecutions whatsoever, and small e-cigarette businesses can be castigated like they're the plague.

The whole "e-cig resemblance to the real thing" argument is about as idiotic as the "many flavors may appeal to children" argument. Big pharma and its minions in Washington must grasp at straws at this point.

Let's take Methadone maintenance for ...... addicts - the US government states that it's "effective" in keeping users off ....... It's called "harm reduction" for a reason. E-cigs are harm reduction for cigarettes - and smoking kills exponentially more people than ...... ever did - and it's, "we don't know enough. Let's ban them." The lack of consistency in their positions are staggering.

This AEI article was pretty good, but by default it's not going to touch the big industry influence on public institutions, because it's a conservative free market publication. What we see here is selective regulation, which is the logical symptom of toothless regulation of large corporations. When we don't keep big pharma in check, like most other industries, they come for our regulatory agencies. When we say, "no regulation!" we are saying that they don't have to follow the law.

JerryRM

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Nov 10, 2009
Rhode Island
I figured that the FDA would have their e-cig regulations out for comment, the day after the election. I haven't seen anything yet, so at least for the short term, that's good news.

Still though, stockpiling for a year or two is not a bad idea and if the gubmint decides to leave us alone, then the stockpile can be used.

Petrodus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2010
Midwest
Personally, I have ZERO confidence in our "Regulator In Chief" as well as
"them" to look out for anyone except their own personal agendas.

I'm an optimist regarding the long range future of e-smoking.
We are living in the golden age of e-smoking. I'm not going to speculate
on what e-cigs of the future will be and availability on the Net.

No question ... The government and the FDA doesn't want a free and open Internet.
The government eventually will regulate the Internet...They have to...
because you can not control thought and commerce unless you control the Internet.

I'm sure all those vaping Obama supporters in Hollywood wouldn't be happy to hear
Obama's FDA wants them to return to smoking OR make out their will then swallow Chantix poison.
:p

Last edited:

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
I'm sure all those vaping Obama supporters in Hollywood wouldn't be happy to hear
Obama's FDA wants them to return to smoking OR make out their will then swallow Chantix poison.
As far as I know all of the celebrities that vape use cigarette-sized devices.

They probably all use prefilled cartomizers, and have somebody to charge a handful of batteries for them every day.
In other words, what the FDA is going to do via regulation is probably not going to affect them at all.

And they probably won't even think twice about unjustified electronic cigarette taxes either.

Petrodus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2010
Midwest
As far as I know all of the celebrities that vape use cigarette-sized devices.

They probably all use prefilled cartomizers, and have somebody to charge a handful of batteries for them every day. In other words, what the FDA is going to do via regulation is probably not going to affect them at all.

And they probably won't even think twice about unjustified e-cig taxes either.
The FDA will be focused on hardware as well as e-juice.
If the FDA decides the maximum level of nic in the e-juice should be
so low as to not satisfy smokers ... then there would be issues with all vapers.

I'm sure BP has already suggested this to their friends at the FDA.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
The FDA will be focused on hardware as well as e-juice.
If the FDA decides the maximum level of nic in the e-juice should be
so low as to not satisfy smokers ... then there would be issues with all vapers.

I'm sure BP has already suggested this to their friends at the FDA.
True, if the regulations go in that direction, some celebrities could be impacted.

But with NJoy and Intellicig going in the direction of much higher nicotine, we might start seeing a new trend.
And if Big Tobacco gets involved, and follows that trend, I have my doubts the FDA will pull things back too far.

Just my opinion of course.
Or maybe I should say just my hope.
:)

cyberwolf

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 22, 2009
Coral Springs, FL
I figured that the FDA would have their e-cig regulations out for comment, the day after the election. I haven't seen anything yet, so at least for the short term, that's good news.

The FDA is currently being raked over the coals for failing to use existing authority to shut down the Massachusetts lab that is responsible for the meningitis outbreak. From some of the testimony I heard, senators were pretty harsh with the FDA head. She complained about not having enough authority and they berated her for not using what she had. Hopefully not a good time for the agency to try to extend its reach.

As for this article, I was pleased to see it make the front page of Reddit for much of the day today with a lot of positive comments about the effectiveness of ecigs.

Petrodus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2010
Midwest
The FDA is currently being raked over the coals for failing to use existing authority to shut down the Massachusetts lab that is responsible for the meningitis outbreak. From some of the testimony I heard, senators were pretty harsh with the FDA head. She complained about not having enough authority and they berated her for not using what she had. Hopefully not a good time for the agency to try to extend its reach.
You can just imagine how sad I am
to hear the FDA is being raked over the coals !!
:p

EDIT:
Oh by the way ...
For all those that search the web everyday looking for
articles to post that are Not back-door ads for e-cig marketers ...
Good Luck

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread