vaping and diabetes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jellyfish

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 16, 2012
Philly Burbs
Tell her that I've been a diabetic for over fifty years and it hasn't bothered me a bit. The only changes have been positive. If they are concerned about elevated blood sugars, then they could check them more frequently after they start vaping to determine if vaping might be a factor. If her husband is a cigarette smoker then he has bigger things that he needs to worry about. BTW, I have never used the mini-mart/gas station variety but I can't see where that would make a difference unless they were loaded with sugar.:blush:

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
One of the concerns with this is the veg glycerin, in its native form it is a type of carbohydrate. You can buy it in any health food store and eat it with a spoon, it is very sweet, and sometimes used as a sweetener in drinks and food products, I would imagine the fear is if ingested or absorbing too much from the vapor or juice, it could elevate the blood sugar, but personally i think the amount is too low to cause a serious reaction as even with a tank we are starting out with just a ml or 2 and spending a few hours vaping it receiving so little per drag it cant be enough to cause serious fluctuations.

Shofixti

ECF Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Pearl of the Orient
I'm a 4 year diabetic. When I bought my first kit, it read that it is not recommended for diabetics. I think the nicotine in the eliquid hardens the arteries much like analogs which is a risk for diabetics, not to mention the sweeteners. I use sucralose in my DIY juice just to reduce risks.

No matter how I look at it, I would rather be vaping than smoking.

DennisW

Feb 2, 2013
NW Indiana
Sorry to hit on an old thread, but I'm seeing my numbers spike some and am looking for some options. Very new to Vaping - 3 weeks since my last smoke, quit cold after one day of e-cigs and absolutely do not want to go back. (Even tho I was only lurking, this Forum has been a HUGE factor in my success thus far!!)

I read a bit in the DIY juice forum and saw it recommends vaping for 6 mo's+ before trying to DIY. Plus I was having some fun trying lots of diff flavors/brands :)

But I really need to change my juice if that is what is causing the spike. Can anyone suggest a Retail Brand of juice that uses that 'sucralose' ? I really have a hard time with Tobacco flavored juice - it's the smoking actions that are my addiction mostly, I don't miss that tobacco flavor a bit.

Or a very well done tutorial or YouTube on DIY Juice that a novice can handle? I do math very well (beancounter IRL) so I'm not scared of working the nic ratio's. But I'd rather find a retail brand with the sucralose first before I venture into DIY, if that's possible.

four2109

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 9, 2009
S. Indiana
I don't know why anyone would tell you to wait 6 months. It's not that complicated. But hey, I eat my own cooking.
I'm not diebetic, but eat low carb hoping to avoid it in the future.
If you don't get a response here, you might start a new thread in the DIY liquid section.
It is hard to find out what is in all the liquids and flavorings, so you might as well start reading now.
There are also some other threads in the Health and Safety section but I think most of them may have been closed. You could try a search.
Good luck.

opal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2012
Hubby's diabetic and been vaping since October with me.. he's had no sugar changes.
Maybe write to the vendor you are using and ask what sweetener they use? Every vendor is different and so far, I've not run across one that has poor communication skills and they've all had awesome CS too. If it's a juice vendor in here (the ECF) ask in the vendor's thread section.. if whomever is in charge isn't around the locals for that juice might know. :)

Disconnect

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2013
Washington DC
There was a recent thread by a diabetic who was having dramatic spikes. I think it resolved to a reaction to certain flavors (and maybe a mild pg allergy?) I'll find the link and post it here.

If you do find spikes or weirdness, you can always get small bottles of unflavored PG and VG and try them independently to see if they are causing it. (At that point you are halfway to DIY anyway, if it turns out you can't find a premade flavor/mix that works..)

Update: Found it! (I expected to spend more time looking..) Its long but might have good info for you in case things do go wonky.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread