Leaving Battery on Charger Overnight

Status
Not open for further replies.

zzipy

ECF Veteran
Oct 18, 2012
Virginia
I have a 3 weeks old Volt battery that has had significant drop in its capacity. I have charged and drained it pretty much every day. Now it barely give me 20-30 puffs before it dies on me.
I had recently forgot to take it off my charger and it was left charging for nearly 24 hours. Could that have anything to do with it?

I thought the charger were smart and they cut off, atleast the light changes from red to blue. I also have joytech ego twists with joytech charger that also changes color from red to green. Is it safe to leave them in overnight or they should be removed immediately.

Thank You.

volume control

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2012
Mass
Sounds like depth of discharge is your issue. Everyone still thinks of Ni Cad batteries, which work better if fully drained and fulled charged.

Li Ion works differently, in fact you are best off just keeping the battery at 100% all the time if possible. My laptop, my ecigs, etc, are always plugged in whenever its feasible. The lower the battery is the harder it has to work to provide power, and shortening the lifespan and max capacity of the battery

So in short, yes plug it in all night, and beyond that, plug it in any chance you get.

For a more detailed explanation see this webpage, and note that if you were to only bring your battery down 25% before charging every time, you get 2000-2500 charges out of it, but if you bring it down 100%, you only get 300-500 Also note important quote "avoid full discharges and charge the battery more often between uses. Partial discharge on Li-ion is fine; there is no memory and the battery does not need periodic full discharge cycles to prolong life, other than to calibrate the fuel gauge on a smart battery once in a while."

How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries - Battery University

volume control

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2012
Mass
Also as a side note, you do want to know if your charger has overcharge protection. If your charger changes color or battery changes color at full, then it definitely does. If you plug it in and it turns say red to charge, and you come down in the morning and its still red, but it is in fact fully charged, you are not using a good charger =)

OP: your systems do have OC protection, it sounds like you just got a bad battery honestly. They should refund or replace, volt is a good company from my experience

flintlock62

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 2, 2012
Arkansas Delta
Volt (cig-a-like) batteries are not known for long lives. But to answer your question, the chargers they use does have over charge protection.

I have a 3 weeks old Volt battery that has had significant drop in its capacity. I have charged and drained it pretty much every day. Now it barely give me 20-30 puffs before it dies on me.
I had recently forgot to take it off my charger and it was left charging for nearly 24 hours. Could that have anything to do with it?

I thought the charger were smart and they cut off, atleast the light changes from red to blue. I also have joytech ego twists with joytech charger that also changes color from red to green. Is it safe to leave them in overnight or they should be removed immediately.

Thank You.

PhreakySTS9

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 26, 2011
Shayol Ghul, The Great Blight
They should last a lot longer than that though. My very first kit in 2010 was a regular Joye 510 kit. I used it exclusively for like 8 months before stepping up to the big times because I felt no need for anything else, it worked just fine for me. Back then I hardly ever even came here, I didn't even register for a while after I started vaping, even though I came here and read, read, read everything for over a month before finally making my choice on the 510 kit and being able to afford the startup costs. (I was still in school and couldn't afford much, had to save because I didn't get to work a lot)

Boognish

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 7, 2012
Chocolate Town
In the rare case your overcharge protection fails, you could have some problems. Exploding battery and/or fire being the worst case. Having that happen while you're sleeping es no bueno. If you must charge overnight, get a lipo bag. Research threads on battery safety here on ECF. I know there is a sticky which everyone should read when they sign up here.

GIMike

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 15, 2009
Around OKC, OK
I only read the first page (and oops, cedric212 did mention this on the first page), but it's surprising how many people have not done this. I have done it ever since I started vaping 4 years ago, and have had no problems. As Cedreic said, get yourself a lamp timer. With Christmas around the corner (and all the lights people will be hanging), these things are actually easiser to find now. Here's a link to one from home depot, but as mentioned, you can get them anywhere. http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...atalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=outlet+timer For $5, save your batteries, and also save yourself the worry of exploding a battery due to overcharging. I have mine set to between 4 and 6 hours, depending on the battery I'm charging. To me, it's a no brainer. This thing shuts off power to the charger after the time has run out. I do recommend the type I've shown in the link though. I've tried the ones with the red and green sliders, and they don't always turn on or shut off like they're supposed to. If you wanted to, digital would probably be even better. Just stay away from the slider ones. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

volume control

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2012
Mass
A little off topic but a little mote for volume control... Its a known fact that keeping laptops plugged in all the te eventually kills the batteries.. If im plugged in i remove the battery after its charged

Just my two cents

Thats an old wives tale. Any charging circuit on a laptop will have overcharge protection, as overcharge circuits are cheap, and were standard before laptops even became popular. The battery will stop charging when it reaches full. Also newer laptops typically only charge the battery to 96-98% as that has shown to improve Li Ion life. Im not sure where you get your facts from, but i posted a link to back my statements up. I also have a masters in electronic engineering and have been in the computer field 15 years. I wouldnt just come here and use hearsay to convince people they should or shouldnt be doing certain things

Last edited:

Thompson

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2012
North of NorCal
A little off topic but a little mote for volume control... Its a known fact that keeping laptops plugged in all the te eventually kills the batteries.. If im plugged in i remove the battery after its charged

Just my two cents

I treated my previous laptop that way and two batteries died in its lifetime.

Having ignored that step because of reading up on Battery University, the new battery in the new laptop I doing much better.

Maybe true for Ni-Cad but definitely not for Li-ion.

boardopboy

MustachioedMechModManiac
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 19, 2012
Castle Grayskull
Overcharge and overdrain shortens the life for Li-ion batteries. If you tend to leave them charge over an extended time then I would recommend you to get a timer (something like this). It's better to be safe than sorry. Just my :2c:

That is actually a BRILLIANT idea! Off to Home Depot I go!

BuGlen

Divergent
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2012
Tampa, Florida
Overcharge and overdrain shortens the life for Li-ion batteries. If you tend to leave them charge over an extended time then I would recommend you to get a timer (something like this). It's better to be safe than sorry. Just my :2c:

I second this. I would never advise leaving a Li-ion battery (of any quality) charging unattended. You should monitor the charging at least every hour to check for possible thermal conditions that might indicate an issue with the charger or battery. With that said, if you're going to do an overnight charge, either a timer such as the one linked above or a safe charging bag (or both) should be considered.

volume control

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2012
Mass
Do you guys not charge your cell phones by plugging them in overnight either? With the amount of li ion in my house id need a lot of timers and surge protectors hanging off the timers for all my electronics. Im kind of a maniac with the stuff. Either way, id say i have at least 15 li ion devices plugged in, and maybe 10 of them are only unplugged when i used them, otherwise they sit on the charger. Ive been doing this for years.

I will not discount that the timer is another safeguard, and depending on the quality of your ecig, could be worthwhile. Id rather just buy nice stuff and use it like its meant to be used. Never had a problem, not even worried about jinxing myself! If your ecig light changes color at full charge, the circuit is off. To go beyond and protect yourself further is paranoia, if your stuff is going to fail on you prematurely, it was more likely it was defective from the get go

BuGlen

Divergent
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2012
Tampa, Florida
Do you guys not charge your cell phones by plugging them in overnight either? With the amount of li ion in my house id need a lot of timers and surge protectors hanging off the timers for all my electronics. Im kind of a maniac with the stuff. Either way, id say i have at least 15 li ion devices plugged in, and maybe 10 of them are only unplugged when i used them, otherwise they sit on the charger. Ive been doing this for years.

I will not discount that the timer is another safeguard, and depending on the quality of your ecig, could be worthwhile. Id rather just buy nice stuff and use it like its meant to be used. Never had a problem, not even worried about jinxing myself! If your ecig light changes color at full charge, the circuit is off. To go beyond and protect yourself further is paranoia, if your stuff is going to fail on you prematurely, it was more likely it was defective from the get go

While I agree with your point in general, there are other things to consider with respect to e-cigs. Just this year, there were several instances of battery explosions and venting with e-cigs which included at least a couple (eGo batteries I believe) that were charging. While other industries, such as cell phones, portable media players, laptops, and tablets may pose the same threat, they are not under the same scrutiny as the e-cig industry. All we need is a few more incidents like those from earlier this year to give those that lobby against the industry the ammunition they need to shut it down.

So, with respect to e-cigs, I always recommend taking the necessary precautions, even if they do seem a bit extreme or paranoid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread