18650 UltraFire Batteries at Radio Shack

Status
Not open for further replies.

tonyorion

ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2010
Michigan
I may be ripped apart for not being patriotic about this, but why pay twice as much and perhaps more for the same exact batteries which are made in China and NOT IN THE USA. Dealextreme has always been reliable with its shipping provided you do not order around the Chinese New Year which changes a bit every year; otherwise, they take about two weeks. The shipping is reasonable (about 10% with ems air freight tracking; do not use registered mail). They have a wide selection of protected batteries in almost any size. They do not stock AW's, but they do have the Panasonic. Check the dimensions and the positive pole type (flat or domed) very carefully for compatibility with your device before ordering since some devices like the Lambo do not take all types. My ProVari is pretty good with almost any size, but does not like the flat topped batteries.

18650 protected - Free Shipping - DX

WillyB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2009
USA
Panasonic makes some of the most overrated cells on the planet.

Pana_v_Sanyo__Xtar.jpg

The top is an Xtar/Sanyo 2600, the bottom (which is where it belongs) is a Pansonic 2900. I've marked in red where they hit 3.5 and 3.25V. The Panasonic eeks out a measly 1600mAh @3.5V vs. the Xtar's 2400mAh, Put it another way the Xtar manages 50% more mAh @ 3.5V.

How well does the Panasonic high drain fare. Here's a beefy 3A test (a 1.5Ω atty pulls ~2.4A).

PANA_HD_Sanyo_3A.png

Except for the first 400mAH the Sanyo trumps the Panasonic maintaining a high voltage longer.

Another, a fancy AW Panasonic VS an often maligned TrustFire.

AW31_TF30.png

Once again the famous Panasonic voltage drop with the TF providing better voltage across a typical vaping range.

Rocketman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2009
SouthEastern Louisiana
A few things have given 'Ultrafire' a bad name for vaping (and flashlights).

I used to use them, a lot. But my vaping requirements have changed and they won't cut the mustard for my current resistance in cartos.

The Ultrafire protected cells I'm familiar with have a protection circuit (that everyone blames on poor Chinese quality control) that senses the current (via voltage drop across the single back to back Mosfet) and trips at about 2 to 2.5 amps. The cell has a fairly high internal resistance and high current isn't it's long suit anyway. The protection board does it's job and trips when you try and draw too much current. They were fine back when I vaped 2.8 ohm cartos at 3.7 volts, but now that I'm vaping 1.5 ohm cartos the Ultrafire doesn't seem to handle that.
Since most protection circuit boards use the same voltage sensing circuit any with a single Mosfet pair (the 8 pin chip) will trip early with a LR carto (or a boost mod).
Circuit boards with 2 Mosfet chips have half the voltage drop so it takes about twice the current across them to trip the protection circuit (about 4 to 5 amps). Hopefully the cell internal resistance is low enough to handle that much current without heating up.

Similarly, a protection circuit board that has 3 of the 8 pin chips (all wired in parallel) will trip at about 8 amps.

If you vape above 2 ohms @ 3.7 volts, or use a buck mod (lower current load on the cells) then just about any protected 18650 will work.
If you need more than that, pick a cell that was designed for it.

Or, you could just blame the Chinese :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread