E-Cigarette Law Suits Being Made Easy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris From Cali

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Any person who had purchased an e-cigarette will be able to bring his or her own class action law suit against the seller, or join an existing class action and possibly share in any damages awarded to users of this new product which the Food and Drug Administration [FDA] has declared "illegal," says public interest law professor John Banzhaf, who has been leading the battle for FDA regulation of the product.

More fun for us

Full Story Here: E-Cigarette Law Suits Being Made Easy / / Class Actions Can Be Filed or Joined by Purchasers

Canute

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
"To file a law suit, a purchaser need not have suffered any medical or other problem"........"The legal actions filed to date have contended that sellers of c-cigarettes have violated consumer protection statutes by engaging in unlawful, unfair or fraudulent practices and unfair, deceptive, untrue or misleading advertising."

So essentially anyone looking to make a buck can jump on the lawsuit wagon with nothing more than the second quote being the basis!!

How about this.......IF the FDA successfully bans vaping then the one million vapers (number I've heard quoted but believe is much larger by now) get together and sue the living hell out of the FDA under the exact same basis!!! Except we can add damages due to pain and suffering (health) from our being forced to return to analogs, lost wages for the years taken off our lives (which those calculations are abundant thanks to the many anti-smoking groups who did those studies with funds provided by pharmaceutical companies), pain and suffering for immediate family/co-workers exposed, property damage, etc...etc...etc... If enough of us got together not only do I think such a case would hold water but if the FDA couldn't provide legitimate scientific data to support their condemnation of e-cigs then I think they'd come out looking like the corrupt agency which they are. Honestly I think the ECA needs to start getting signatures from all of us and have their attorneys issue a cease and desist order against the FDA citing all of us as the potential plaintiffs to be involved in future legal action if they continue without providing the scientific evidence for their condemnation! I have been reading everything I can get my hands on from the FDA's actual report, CDC toxicology reports on individual chemicals, scans of documents from the late 70's showing that DEG was actually an additive in tobacco for the purpose of keeping it moist in those days, interviews with physicians....you name it and I've read it and have recently been compiling all the sources. If there were ever a more clear case of government corruption in support of special interest and tax revenue I've never seen it!! One in five Americans stand to benefit directly from e-cigs and the rest benefit indirectly through decreased second hand smoke, fire danger and litter....yet the agency that claims to exist to "Promote the public health.." spews this nonsense???!!! While I doubt the FDA would care about the potential financial aspects they may care about being discredited as an agency after it came to light that they turned their back on 45 million people fighting an addiction to tobacco as well as all those effected around them!

Too tired to eloquently express my level of disgust in our government. :evil:

marlboro_man

ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2009
Across-the-Pond-England-UK
"To file a law suit, a purchaser need not have suffered any medical or other problem"........"The legal actions filed to date have contended that sellers of c-cigarettes have violated consumer protection statutes by engaging in unlawful, unfair or fraudulent practices and unfair, deceptive, untrue or misleading advertising."

So essentially anyone looking to make a buck can jump on the lawsuit wagon with nothing more than the second quote being the basis!!

How about this.......IF the FDA successfully bans vaping then the one million vapers (number I've heard quoted but believe is much larger by now) get together and sue the living hell out of the FDA under the exact same basis!!! Except we can add damages due to pain and suffering (health) from our being forced to return to analogs, lost wages for the years taken off our lives (which those calculations are abundant thanks to the many anti-smoking groups who did those studies with funds provided by pharmaceutical companies), pain and suffering for immediate family/co-workers exposed, property damage, etc...etc...etc... If enough of us got together not only do I think such a case would hold water but if the FDA couldn't provide legitimate scientific data to support their condemnation of e-cigs then I think they'd come out looking like the corrupt agency which they are. Honestly I think the ECA needs to start getting signatures from all of us and have their attorneys issue a cease and desist order against the FDA citing all of us as the potential plaintiffs to be involved in future legal action if they continue without providing the scientific evidence for their condemnation! I have been reading everything I can get my hands on from the FDA's actual report, CDC toxicology reports on individual chemicals, scans of documents from the late 70's showing that DEG was actually an additive in tobacco for the purpose of keeping it moist in those days, interviews with physicians....you name it and I've read it and have recently been compiling all the sources. If there were ever a more clear case of government corruption in support of special interest and tax revenue I've never seen it!! One in five Americans stand to benefit directly from e-cigs and the rest benefit indirectly through decreased second hand smoke, fire danger and litter....yet the agency that claims to exist to "Promote the public health.." spews this nonsense???!!! While I doubt the FDA would care about the potential financial aspects they may care about being discredited as an agency after it came to light that they turned their back on 45 million people fighting an addiction to tobacco as well as all those effected around them!

Too tired to eloquently express my level of disgust in our government. :evil:

Hello All,

What a diabolical liberty

Whatever happened to

"THE LAND OF THE FREE"​

Krakkan

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2009
New Orleans, LA
www.truesmoker.com
I suspect this could be another scare tactic. Either way I think if we all stick togeather we can battle guys like this.

After reading that suit I know Banzaf wrote that I can see all of his rhetoric in it the funny part is the part stating that SE is unfair to other smoking cessation products -- seeing how ASH receives millions from Pharmaceutical companies I'm sure he had to throw that in there.

The_janty_Misfit

ECF Veteran
Oct 22, 2009
New York City

Someone mentioned beating up whoever joins in on a class-action suit against e-cig manufacturers. Someone else mentioned how you couldn't sue the tobacco companies. That guy actually missed the boat: the class-action against the tobacco companies has come and gone.

As it went, it provided the funds needed for state governments to appropriate the tobacco settlement money to shore up their finances when the money was originally earmarked to help defray smoker's eventual health costs *and* they provided the money to 'help you quit' by bombarding you with all those charming spots reminding you that lung cancer, heart disease etc, etc ad nauseam, were caused by smoking (those really improved your life, didn't they?).

Instead of all this talk about beating up people you can't find or starting suits that have already been settled, let's explore a new and different possibility. We are a community of people affected by the actions of the U.S. Government. Therefore, we are a class that is being injured by the FDA. Doesn't it make sense to have *US* sue the FDA as a class? The worst thing that could happen would be media attention.

If I were a lawyer, I'd be sharpening my knives right now. I would file the papers *tomorrow*.

What do YOU think?

PlanetScribbles

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2009
Londinium, Brittania
Has anyone looked at the source code for that page?

<meta name="KeyWords"
content="banzhaf, john banzhaf, george washington university, law school, action on smoking and health, smoking, antismoking, nonsmokers' rights, banzhaf index, computer programs, copyright, potty parity, sex discrimination, gender discrimination, volleyball, class action, mcDonald's, fast food, obesity, obese, ets, environmental tobacco smoke, second hand smoke, banzhof, banzhaff, banzhoff, mit, columbia, weighted voting, cigarette, cigarette commercial, antismoking message, sue the .......s, legal activism, public interest law, public interest lawyer, tobacco settlement, Introduction to Action on Smoking and Health, ASH, http://banzhaf.net">

That is quite an agenda for someone that uses Microsoft Frontpage as a definitive HTML editor lmao
Looks like a freshman put it together from a standard template

Caesarea

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2009
UK
Has anyone looked at the source code for that page?

That is quite an agenda for someone that uses Microsoft Frontpage as a definitive HTML editor lmao
Looks like a freshman put it together from a standard template

What is "potty parity"? That sounds like a bummer!

And how would it be measured?

:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread