Does anyone use Xylitol as a sweetener?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JPoodles

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 27, 2012
West Boylston, MA
I am new to DIY but really interested in it! I have been vaping for some time now and I'm happy to say-100% free of smoking. I have delved ito RBA's and love the tinkering and hobby aspects of vaping. It's not only been healthy for the body but for the mind as well! I've always been fascinated by chemistry and subsequently food preparation. I've worked as a chef for the last 20 years and find that alot of the e-liquids I've tried could use some tweeking. So here I am.
Enough rambling...I'm researching as much as I can before I impulse buy DIY supplies and there is one question I have. Does anyone use Xylitol as a sweetener? I've seen few posts about it through searches here and was curious as to it's developement (if any) in DIY.
Thank you to all who have visited this thread and feel free to add any suggestions.:rolleyes:

LucentShadow

ECF Veteran
Dec 28, 2011
Michigan, USA
I've never seen it sold as liquid, and would not use the powdered blends that I've seen. As long as you have a (liquid) source with no added fillers (other than PG/VG/water) or other crud, it sounds like a decent sweetener.

It's a sugar alcohol, very similar to glycerine, seems to be quite non-toxic, and approximately as sweet as sucrose. I'd be interested in hearing how well it works.

I've only used sucralose and ethyl maltol, and prefer ethyl maltol for it's added flavor. I've considered stevia, but I don't like the aftertaste of the powdered stuff that I tried for my morning coffee.

JPoodles

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 27, 2012
West Boylston, MA
Why not something a little less harsh, like sucralose (splenda) or stevia?

Is there something about it I don't know? I would never use a syrup or anything with gums in it as I've read about the negatives of inhaling gums. I have no problems with using the other sweeteers, I think. I wanted to know about Xylitol because it reportedaly has added health benefits. Not clear on what you mean by harsh.

Lucentshadow said:
I've never seen it sold as liquid, and would not use the powdered blends that I've seen. As long as you have a (liquid) source with no added fillers (other than PG/VG/water) or other crud, it sounds like a decent sweetener.

Have the powdered blends had additives or somethig else thats harmful?

Thanx for your responses :D

Hoosier

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
Indiana

Typically powdered sweeteners, not sugar, have filler added. Like the sawdust in a box of Tide. (It's in powdered detergents because folks use too much and if they didn't put the filler in it, then there would be suds covered floors across the nation. If they take the fillers out then a tablespoon would clean between 50-75 dry pounds of laundry.) The powdered sweeteners have fillers to make them more visually, volume wise, relatable to sugar so that so-much means so-sweet.

I don't know what the fillers are or how harmful they are.

killnine

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 26, 2009
Mississippi, US
semisynthetic.net
Is there something about it I don't know? I would never use a syrup or anything with gums in it as I've read about the negatives of inhaling gums. I have no problems with using the other sweeteers, I think. I wanted to know about Xylitol because it reportedaly has added health benefits. Not clear on what you mean by harsh.

Filler is dextrose or maltodextrin in Splenda. When I was starting a bread company many years ago we got some pure liquid form sucralose to play with. One drop per gallon of iced tea was all it took. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it would work in solid form, since I haven't tried it. It might caramelize or something with the binder. Just a thought. I mentioned the sugar alcohols as harsh, at least to me, because of the '.... leakage' it can cause on ingestion.

JPoodles

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 27, 2012
West Boylston, MA
Thanks everyone- I've since found out from suppliers that Xylitol powder is 100% pure. No gums or fillers. I want to try this product simply for its beneficial properties. It's reported to prevent tooth decay by basing out acids that cause enamel erosion. It also avoids dehydrating the consumer. It can cause the negative effect that you mention killnine but only when very large amounts are ingested. The amounts used in this application wouldn't be excessive especially with sweet flavors and EM. I think you would have to vape more than 6 ml a day but thats just a guess. I will be taking this all into consideration when I add it to my mixes. I'll post again in some time and let everyone know how it turns out.

JPoodles

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 27, 2012
West Boylston, MA

Great Links!...I have read many similar statings. I find it interesting to note that NaCl inhilation may increase bacterial reproduction by inhibiting antibacterial agents in our respiratory systems. I was considering using it as a flavor enhancer and wetting agent but will most likely refrain from doing so now.:thumb:

Sdh

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 31, 2010
U.S.
Great Links!...I have read many similar statings. I find it interesting to note that NaCl inhilation may increase bacterial reproduction by inhibiting antibacterial agents in our respiratory systems. I was considering using it as a flavor enhancer and wetting agent but will most likely refrain from doing so now.:thumb:
I am going to research this very slowly. I have a house project or I would be all over this topic. Let me know if you decide to use xylitol. Personally, thus far I see no adverse effects noted. However, I have not performed any major research in regards to this sweetener. Good luck and keep us updated. :)

blondeambition3

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2009
FL, USA
blondeambition3.wix.com

This was what I gleaned from that safety assessment of inhaled Xylitol; Conclusions
Inhalation of aerosolized iso-osmotic xylitol was well-tolerated by naïve and atopic mice, and by healthy human volunteers.

This is what I obtained from the MSDS on Malitol located here: http://www.theingredienthouse.com/common/msds/RightSweet%20Maltitol%20Powder%20MSDS%207-12.pdf

No adverse health effects expected from inhalation

:D

JPoodles

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 27, 2012
West Boylston, MA
I have Ideal, which I use in coffee. It says the ingredents are Xylitol, Maltodextrin and sucralose. Would it be safe to dilute in PG?

This seems like a triple punch sweetener. From all research done, I have found no adverse effects of xylitol on people other than the same digestive issues that any sugar alcohol would have. I believe glycerine (VG) is a sugar alcohol, so if you can handle it then xylitol will be fine. You might be better off using straight xylitol if you would like to experience the most beneficial effects for oral health. Maltodextrin and sucralose are both foud in eliquids already so i think they are ok to use. I would however suggest diluting it in distilled water first and adding it per drop to your juice. I personally use straight xylitol in powder form and create a simple syrup to add to my DIY mixes. Just follow any simple syrup recipe and sub xylitol for sugar (or in your case - ideal[tm]?) :blink:

Last edited:

JPoodles

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 27, 2012
West Boylston, MA
Yeah thats how i personally do it. It will be super sweet but thats why you should add per drop. The sweeteners they sell for eliquids are also super sweet and you really only need to add one drop per 5 ml in my experience. The amount of xylitol in the drop is not enough to be beneficial to oral health. In conjunction with a daily brushing or rinse with xylitol, it can't hurt and would be much better than sucralose and/or malto for mouth acidity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread