Status
Not open for further replies.

Doug Dino

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 9, 2009
U-taw
www.billetboxvapor.com
Hey everybody, welcome to the Billet Box thread. After a year of designing, prototyping and testing, I am happy to finally lift the curtain on my latest E-vaporizer. Introducing (gasps of excitement and giddiness) the Billet Box. (sounds of mass applause and whistles, cue the confetti)

Group_Photo.jpg

Dominos.jpg

Stack.jpg

The Billet Box started with me really needing a vaporizer that had all it’s guts on the inside, due to the nature of my work (drops to the ground, roll off table, sawdust, metal shavings), and that required little to no tinkering, filling or battery swapping throughout the day. I’m high volt vaporer most (but not all) of the time, who burns through 5 to 6ml of juice a day, so variable voltage and a huge tank were a must as well. So I started drawing, came up with a design that fit the bill, started prototyping and, 11 months later, nailed it.

Carbon_Face.jpg

I machine every single part of the billet box myself on my cnc mill Dev (yah, my machines have names). From all the tank parts, and aluminum bodies, to the circuit boards and Delrin buttons, everything is made in house (uh- in shop rather). Now I even have some helpers in my shop to polish and prep, one of which was a smoker when he started working with me, now he’s not. =)

Parts.jpg

Bodies_Milled.jpg

Covers_Milled.jpg

There are a lot of main features to the Billet Box, such as the tank, variable voltage, battery capacity, carbon fiber plates, spring loaded slide lock, being shiny, ext...... but some of the smaller aspects really only come from being a vaporer myself. Example, the sizzling coil while making vapor can be pretty loud and attract some unwanted attention when your sneaking in a vape at the movie theater, church, or local library. So when designing the air intake I made it to be easily blocked with a finger if you like, making your vapor production near completely silent (it still can breath, just with a hair more draw resistance). This “stealth mode” has come in handy more than a few times.

Tank_Filling.jpg

Convenience, and cleanliness, is a big thing for me when it comes to filling up on E-fluid. I don’t want the fluid on my hands, or anywhere else it doesn't belong . As a result the billet boxes internal 6.5ml, 510 cartomizer tank, is fillable without even having to remove the tank from the body. You simply slide the back plate down a bit and inject E-fluid though a special nitrile rubber ball valve right in the face of the tank. I like to use a syringe for this (with plastic taper tip, never a metal one, metal could hurt the seal), but a lure lock bottle with a plastic tapered tip works just fine too.

Inner_Guts.jpg

The Billet Box has and dose all kinds of other neat stuff, feel free to check out our website for more info pics, video and instructions. It’s a work in progress but most of the stuff is up, and lots will be added shortly.... (Billet Box Vapor Inc.) or throw any questions you got at me, right here in this thread.

Box_vs_Cell.jpg

(size compared to my cell, the Billet Box holds way more E-Fluid than Sprints HTC EVO)

Right now our company (Billet Box Vapor Inc.), is prepping for an official launch early 1213, but we are way too antsy to get some of these bad girls out in the wild... So we will periodically offer a limited number of stand alone units from our web site as a kinda of pre-release special, ready to ship with some introductory pricing and shipping (ZOMG). We also will be having some giveaways going on shortly to boot!!! So keep an eye on us, check out or site, or go ahead and like us on facebook if your into that sort of thing.

"Happy Vaping'"

~salute
Doug Dino

Dougiestyle

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2011
Knoxville, TN USA
I have grown quite fond of my homemade VW bottomfed aluminum boxmod, but, given the "OK" from the wonderful wallet warden (AKA Wife), this will be in-hand soon. I really like the design, aside from the button position. I can get used to that tho. Your reasons for the construction were always my concern, as well. I work with heavy equipment and natural resources (cert. landscaper), so rugged is one of my biggest concerns with PVs. This seems to fit that bill. It looks awesome, too!

See ya soon in the checkout...

Doug Dino

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 9, 2009
U-taw
www.billetboxvapor.com
Hey Dougiestyle,
I got one here with your name on it. I have been using my personal one for the past three months, she has rode in my nail apron with other tools as I'v worked on some buildings, got dropped on tile and concrete, and had just a generally hard life.... naturally she has battle scars, but she looks like a fine tool should, and keeps working like a boss. I don't recommend throwing her for the fun of it, as she dose have a circuit board and IC components, but i do plan to make a video of one being ran over by a tractor to see if it still works after, and I'm pretty sure it will. All that aside, I back everything i make.

JollyRogers

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2009
Virginia
2x16340 batts... What kind of battery life are you getting with these? Are they in series or parallel? How are you doing VV? I like the design on the box (and I am not a box mod person), almost hit buy, then saw the batts that are being used. I couldn't find anything on the website regarding how the VV is being done.

Doug Dino

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 9, 2009
U-taw
www.billetboxvapor.com
2x16340 batts... What kind of battery life are you getting with these? Are they in series or parallel? How are you doing VV? I like the design on the box (and I am not a box mod person), almost hit buy, then saw the batts that are being used. I couldn't find anything on the website regarding how the VV is being done.

Thanks for asking, was going to post about it before, but didn't want my first post to be to overwhelming.
I go threw about 5ml of juice a charge with my AW 16340 cells with the dial at5.4 volt (the best sweet spot ever), so all day for me if i'm not chain vaping, one battery swap in the evening if I am hitting it like crazy (and I always take mega long draws). Little longer at 4 to 4.7, but less juice is vaped total.
She takes two 3.7 16340 batteries, AW makes some great protected ones that work awesome. I designed around these batteries to keep the unit as short as possible, I have enough long mods. It is a bonus that RCR123A 3 volt batt's will work as well, but as most of these are made for digital cameras and such they just don't have the output current to fire a 3ohm coil more than about 4.8volts sustained. RCR123A are just fine for those that vape at the 4.7 sweet spot or lower, and they are also dirt cheap, like 3 bucks a cell at battery junction right now. The 16340 AW batteries are about 5 to 8 bucks a cell, and I don't think that's to bad at all considering how good they are. The batteries are in series.

The circuit uses an Ultra Low Drop Out regulator to control the voltage, this is nothing ground breaking but it is a simple proven method, and simple is what lasts the longest imho. I do a little algebra on each one to match the resistors to the pot's ohm range to keep the voltage ranges in check and lined up with the dial, and am throwing away any board with more than a +or- .06 volts accuracy. Consistency is near 100%, so the vapor you make with a set of ready to die batteries will be the exact same with a freshly charged set, or even different cell type. The circuit is ground operated, not control pin operated. The button has a throw of about 0.9mm before firing, and there is a soft tactical feel to the button as it engages. There is no on or off switch, as the unit is so small any switch would be harder to operate than it would be to just remove a battery... when it is off, (button not pushed) it is 100% off. That said i have never accidentally fired the billet box, i spent a lot of time on the button as this was made for me, so i cared a lot about how well it worked....

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
Your Billet Box is outstandingly beautiful. I also couldn't help noticing your hands, holding it, I said to myself "these are hands that WORK!" (I always notice people's hands, and sort of have them categorized, you can tell a lot about people by looking at and touching their hands, where the callouses are, etc. )

anyway, sure, she does it all, but she is "glamourous" as all get-out, too. GASP! Quite!

Not suprised you got your shop guys off the stinkies with this gal, really, just an added bonus to the wonderfulness that is the Billet Box.

I truly have not seen anything this artfully designed that actually does a job, too!

Last edited:

MrsCasey

Pink Spot Fanatic
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2011
Long Beach, CA
Wow, an absolutely gorgeous exterior, bautiful interior revealing the voltage dial and ingenious built in tank and to top it all off, if you dig deep you see she's a power baby with everything you need to give you the perfect Vape all day long! I have just one simple box mod and thought I was all set and happy with my tube mods but the Billet Box has blown me away! She is one seriously sweet looking Box Mod! Nice work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread