Children and E-Cigs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Titanium

Moved On
Oct 19, 2012
I do know of similar threads but I think this one is different.
Now,
I have been reading a few news articles and stories about children buying and using E-Cigs and the news really make PV's sound like drug devices and it pisses me off because they LIE about stuff in the news articles.

Now, I wouldn't have a problem with teens vaping IFthey were trying to quit smoking. But the reality is, most are just buying them to look "cool" or to "fit in" and that is unacceptable and will result in E-Cigs being banned altogether.

If your child smokes, would you let them purchase/use them to quit?
I, would make sure they don't start in the first place.
These people need to just take them away from their children and not make a huge deal with: lawyers/news/etc.
Anyways, thanks for taking time to reply.

All the best,
Titanium.

Last edited:

zapped

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2009
Richmond, Va...Right in Altria's back yard.
Some people are very liberal in their views on raising children and Im sure youre going to hear about it :)

Personally, Im not trying to be my childs best friend and hang out with them so the answer is no.My house, my rules.Im the one paying rent.

Might sound harsh to some people but my child will thank for me it after they reach a certain level of maturity and then its time to be friends.

Titanium

Moved On
Oct 19, 2012
Some people are very liberal in their views on raising children and Im sure youre going to hear about it :)

Personally, Im not trying to be my childs best friend and hang out with them so the answer is no.My house, my rules.Im the one paying rent.

Might sound harsh to some people but my child will thank for me it after they reach a certain level of maturity and then its time to be friends.

Well, I do see how you feel.
But also, I don't see why you don't care for your child's health.
No offense meant here.
I did expect a few positive/negative replies.
Thanks for your opinion.

zapped

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2009
Richmond, Va...Right in Altria's back yard.
Well, I do see how you feel.
But also, I don't see why you don't care for your child's health.
No offense meant here.
I did expect a few positive/negative replies.
Thanks for your opinion.

I do care for my childs health.I love that kid with all my heart thats why I'd kick his derriere if I found out he was smoking.At such an early stage I would be the one making the decision that he's quitting cold turkey and he wouldnt have any choice in the matter.

Thankfully I dont have to worry about that with him.He's an athlete and has always been concerned about his physical well being. Hes always been the one whos shown concern about my smoking and is thrilled that Ive made the switch to something healthier.

Titanium

Moved On
Oct 19, 2012
I do care for my childs health.I love that kid with all my heart thats why I'd kick his derriere if I found out he was smoking.At such an early stage I would be the one making the decision that he's quitting cold turkey and he wouldnt have any choice in the matter.

Thankfully I dont have to worry about that with him.He's an athlete and has always been concerned about his physical well being. Hes always been the one whos shown concern about my smoking and is thrilled that Ive made the switch to something healthier.

Ah
I see :D

JimHarris

Dec 10, 2012
Ronkonkoma
An interesting conundrum. I think I would have to agree with zapped. If I ever caught my not-yet-existent kids smoking, I'd make the cold turkey decision for them. Vaping is a privilege and I don't think underaged kids should partake in it. Now, will they? Of course. It's human nature, especially in adolescence, to go after the things forbidden from you. You want your chance to beat the system. But I do think we have to be careful as a society. People need to understand that this is a healthier alternative to smoking, not just a way to look "cool"

J.R. Bob Dobbs

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2012
near buffalo, NY
honestly if i had kids, and caught them smoking...

after i watched them chain smoke a pack of camel non filters and turn green then puke for days... i might let them vape. But under my control and supervision and they would be on a quit program not just switching from analogs to vaping like most of us. Now once they reach 18-19 and if they had their own $$ and wanted to vape fine with me. until then...my rules.

but this is reality, kids can get smokes, e cigs etc if they try. I started smoking at 15...(my god that was back in 1991...sheesh im old) i never once in my entire life got carded for smokes. its wrong and illegal that this happens, but theres not much you can do when the people selling them are not diligent and responsible enough to ask for I.D.

Obviously, we are talking about parents taking responsibility here.
So much of this crazy mixed up world can be traced back to parents
not taking responsibility and taking care of business at home.

Parent's lack of responsibility and involvement with their children ...
is at the root of many social issues (period)

Actually I remember reading an article saying that 50% of a person's personality/attitude is genetics, the rest is mostly external factors. Very little has to do with parenting at home. Unless you spend 8+ hours a day with your kid at home, there's very little influence a parent will have in how his child turns out.

barbee865

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 5, 2011
Knoxville, TN
Actually I remember reading an article saying that 50% of a person's personality/attitude is genetics, the rest is mostly external factors. Very little has to do with parenting at home. Unless you spend 8+ hours a day with your kid at home, there's very little influence a parent will have in how his child turns out.

I can write an article proclaiming unicorns are real, and bigfoot was my next door neighbor. 90% of statistics are made up anyway. :evil:

teggykid952

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 3, 2013
Auburn, Alabama

I'm 19, been smoking for about three years. One night, when I was chilling with some of my car buddies at the local drag strip I was smoking, and my dad showed up unknown to me. He told me either I quit, or tell my mother who lost both of her parents to cigarette related cancer. I told him that I would quit but I never did. So, even if you or anyone else caught their child smoking and told them to stop, it's not set in stone that they will. Luckily I finally decided on my own accord to quit and it's been 5 days going strong. For right now these Blu's are doing their job until my X2 comes in

meatcutter

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 26, 2012
pascagoula, ms
I agree with zapped, recently caught my 16 year old with a pack of cigarettes in her car, of course they were not hers right lol. I have taken her car until summer. Sure its a burden on me and my wife taking her to work and school functions, but we sent a clear message. I was a smoker untill a few months ago, and she tried to justify them as I was being hypocritical, which in turn got her grounded for 2 weeks.

scabbytattoo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2012
pensacola
OK I think I can chime in on this as I'm young enough toe remember what it was like getting busted with smokes as a teen and now having a kid myself who is 5. If a kid wants to smoke they will find a way to do so with that tho once that fear is in you and you know your mom/dad will inconvenience themselves just to make a point you tend to hide it and not use them as much. Now as for helping them quit with a pv naw I don't think so the reason I went over was for health reasons but still liking nicotine and as an adult I can make that choice.

Ardo

ECF Veteran
Nov 17, 2009
Tallinn, Estonia
Obviously, we are talking about parents taking responsibility here.
So much of this crazy mixed up world can be traced back to parents
not taking responsibility and taking care of business at home.

Parent's lack of responsibility and involvement with their children ...
is at the root of many social issues (period)

I was in Canterbury, UK some years ago. A friend of mine, who hosted me lived near a high school. Kids didn't even bother walking out the school yard to light their cigarettes. I saw at least 20 kids smoking. And don't get me even started on underage drinking.

Absolutely, they get that from whatever they are lacking in their homes.

Joshyjoshf

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2012
United States
Parents should keep an eye on their kids, and try to educate them on the risks of smoking, and the risks of vaping if they catch em doing it. I started smoking at 16, and three years later, found vaping, and made the switch almost effortlessly. I went from 1/2 pack a day, to vaping. My mother was mortified when she found out I was smoking though, but she was glad that I found a safer alternative.

I don't think this should be a thing you let kids do though, but once they are adults, hell, if they wanna do it, that's their thing.

I do worry about the flavors being a draw for kids, and that scares me, because I don't want the FDA taking away my sweet vapes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread