Status
Not open for further replies.

mamu

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 29, 2009
IN USA
I got er done! I’m very pleased with the way the Lexi-DNA20D turned out and I’m especially pleased with how well the DNA20D is working and with how well it's handling power.

After working with the DNA20D, the only thing I would suggest for Evolv is an accessory cradle or frame for the OLED for protection. A cradle or frame would also make it easier to mount within a case.

DNA20D Features (there's no spec sheet yet, so I'm going by what Brandon has told me on some of these and some I've observed first hand):
- High efficiency synchronous boost converter.

-Power regulation with a range of 6W - 20W and an output voltage range of ~3v - 8v.

-Max output current 6A.

-Onboard protection: over volt/under volt, shorted atty/burned out atty, thermal protection.

-Master on/off (5 presses of the fire button turns mod on and off).

-Normal Mode vs Stealth Mode: with the mod turned off, down wattage control button pressed at the same time as the fire button allows you to put the display in Normal Mode (display shows) or Stealth Mode (display does not show).

-Right Mode vs Left Mode: with the mod turned off, up wattage control button pressed at the same time as the fire button allows you to flip the display 180 - upside down (Left Mode), or have the display right side up (Right Mode).

-OLED displays batt charge level, ohms, output volts, set watts, and activation (the display brightens when the fire button is pressed, then dims after releasing the fire button, then blanks out after a short period of inactivity).

-If no atty attached or atty shorted, error message displays "CHECK ATOMIZER".

For Modders:
-You can use the onboard tactile fire switch, or use your own.

-You can use the onboard tactile up/down wattage switches, use your own up/down wattage switches, or use a 1K ohm - 10K ohm POT. I didn't test this, so don't know if the Normal/Stealth Modes or Right/Left Modes are accessible if using a POT.

-Width and height of the OLED screen is 26.5mm x 8mm, active area is 18mm x 3.5mm. There is a 21mm x 7mm thin black translucent plastic covering over the screen. This is the size I used for the cutout in my mod.

-Width and height of the board is 33mm x 16mm.

-Requires a high drain batt with a minimum of 8A discharge rating if vaping at higher watts.

-Caution: treat the OLED screen carefully as it's glass and could break. Also be gentle with the cable ends - the cable end at the screen is glued on and might pull off if not treated gently. So it might be best to dab a bit of epoxy here for security.

Through hole wiring with clear markings...
dna20d3.jpg

Note: if you remove the atty or change atties, the display (ohms) will update after you press the fire switch...
dna20-b.jpg

And... a new Lexi is born...
dna20-a.jpg

mamu

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 29, 2009
IN USA
Thanks guys!

Fantastic Mamu. Bravo. Very stylish

What's the bottom tact switch for?

One click and it lights the batt status LEDs on the bottom end cap, two clicks and it lights the flashlight. The power bank comes with a really small tact switch on the bottom end cap for these functions. If I had left it there Lexi would be wobbly when set down. I removed it and replaced it with the round silver tact switch and put it on the lower front of the case.

lexi-dna6.jpg

mamu

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 29, 2009
IN USA
Looks great!!!

But where is the fire button ;)

I like ss clicky buttons. :laugh:

Of all the switches I have put in mods, this one is my fave. One of these days, they'll make a low profile 12mm switch just like this. Right now you can only get 16mm or 19mm low profile anti-vandal ss switches. Now that's BIG.

mamu

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 29, 2009
IN USA
just checking the 20D at this point......gotta find an enclosure.....mamu and breaktru are hard acts to follow and as usual I'm behind....

Well, git er done retird!! I love it. And now that I'm using it, I really really do like how I can see the info all displayed at once without going through clicks.

And now, I truly am a watts regulated fan. With the DNA12 and Nivel I was a bit on the fence about it. But this DNA20D hits fantastic and with absolutely no sag in current or power at the watts I vape at.

What I’ve found interesting is with the Nivel and DNA20D both set at 15W, my Lexi-DNA20D hits harder than the Lexi-Nivel. I used the same 1500mAh, 20C li-poly batt in each and the same ohm resistance and there is def a difference in hit. It could be that the Nivel is maxed at 15W and maybe getting a bit of a sag at max power, whereas the DNA20D still has quite a bit of cushion before hitting max power plus a 6A max current limit. I dunno, but for high watts vaperers, it’s a dream come true.

retird

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2010
North Side
Well, git er done retird!! I love it. And now that I'm using it, I really really do like how I can see the info all displayed at once without going through clicks.

Finding the right enclosure may be somewhat difficult, but we will see...if all else fails I may have to have a CNC guy make the enclosure... I've been power regulated (Darwin-ized) for almost 2 years now, so the 20D just improves on the DNA12....even though anything above 10 watts is over-kill for me....who knows I may try a dual-coil one of these days....

Lance_Wallen

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Aug 11, 2011
Fort Worth
www.steammonkey.com
just got my board today :) I'm working on a front back rail set up for mounting. When I get the cad finished and tested I'll post it. People can 3d print it from a random online service or machine it themselves if they like. I'll be doing a tube and a box enclosure version.

Mamu, looks great... any dirty pics of the insides? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread