does your body get used to a certain mg of nicotine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orobas

Equine Disrespect
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 3, 2012
Jarhead City
I'm skeptical of the concept of weaning, myself.

I vape 3-4ml a day of 24mg. Some people like to brag about how they're on 6mg now, but turns out they're sucking down 10ml of it a day. Probably for the same reason some people switch to light analogs but smoke twice as many versus the full flavored ones they had before.

Seems to be your body gets used to a certain level of nicotine and you'll unconsciously compensate for a lower dose.

Dana A

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 25, 2012
Iowa
I used to use 3 mls a day of 24 mg and now 10 months of slowly stepping it down later I am at 3 mls of 17mg per day. I am hoping to get down to 3 mls per day of like 6 mg or lower. I am not holding my breath but I really would love to be at 0 if I can but I know that may never happen and it's OK if it never does.

Buggs5347

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
Arizona

I vape 3-4ml a day of 24mg. Some people like to brag about how they're on 6mg now, but turns out they're sucking down 10ml of it a day. Probably for the same reason some people switch to light analogs but smoke twice as many versus the full flavored ones they had before.

Seems to be your body gets used to a certain level of nicotine and you'll unconsciously compensate for a lower dose.

They may have been sucking down 10 ml a day of the higher nic, as well. I have weaned myself down from 24 mg to now 3 mg. I don't vape any more at 3 than I did at 24. Probably because I stepped down slowly by alternating and then after I got to 12 mg, I stepped down differently by mixing 12 and 8 together at different ratios until I was vaping straight 8 and then mixed the next lower with the 8 and so forth.

I actually vape a lot less when I am at work or running errands, now. I don't feel the need, as often. I now run errands sometimes without even taking my ecig. It's really liberating. I will be so glad to get to 0 nic full time.

CarbonThief

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
You certainly habituate to a certain level of nicotine. If you increase it over time you habituate to that new level, and the reverse is also true. If you slowly cut down you will reset what your body is used to getting in that way and can conceivably go from whatever, say 24mg down to zero over time. Then you could be vaping zero nicotine just because you still have the "ritual of smoking," aka the oral fixation thing going, which for me and many people, is the REAL addiction!

My suggestion for anyone wanting to wean themselves is to take it slow and don't set yourself up for failure. If you're at 24mg and 6ml per day, been there for weeks/months whatever, then either cape 5 mLs of that concentration for a few weeks OR try vaping 6 or 7 mLs of whatever you can find just below that, 22 or 20 or 18 mLs for a while, until you can consistently vase at that level with no withdrawal symptoms. Whichever method works for you. Some will prefer or find more success with the same nic strength and 1 mL less per day. Others by vaping the same amount of liquid and puffs at a slightly lower nic concentration. Then after you feel your body has habituated, maybe a few weeks or months, step down again. Be patient as you probably have been smoking for years and it likely took some time to ramp up to your quitting level of nicotine, it will take even longer IMO to wean down to zero comfortably, comfortably being the key word here. Gradually many of us can quit nic altogether in this manner, if we so DESIRE. If that isn't your goal and you/I/We decide not to give up nicotine altogether, rest assured that for most of us, those without heart and blood pressure conditions, high risk of stroke and coagulation disorders (clotting and/or blood vessel issues) vaping with nicotine is LIKELY not problematic. Certainly nicotine without the combustion of tobacco is much safer than those cigarettes. The research will bear this out in longitudinal studies over time. I have no doubts.

Happy vaping to you.

Carbon

CarbonThief

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
They may have been sucking down 10 ml a day of the higher nic, as well. I have weaned myself down from 24 mg to now 3 mg. I don't vape any more at 3 than I did at 24. Probably because I stepped down slowly by alternating and then after I got to 12 mg, I stepped down differently by mixing 12 and 8 together at different ratios until I was vaping straight 8 and then mixed the next lower with the 8 and so forth.

I actually vape a lot less when I am at work or running errands, now. I don't feel the need, as often. I now run errands sometimes without even taking my ecig. It's really liberating. I will be so glad to get to 0 nic full time.

Well said and exactly the point I was trying to make as we'll. not to mention, which I did forget in my above post, that light cigarettes apparently don't have any less (or at least not much less) nicotine than the full flavored ones. Which is why the FDA required manufacturers to put on the package that lights and ultra lights won't help a person quit smoking, I.e. switching to these doesn't wean you off of nicotine.

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
I now run errands sometimes without even taking my ecig. It's really liberating.

see, that's it for me.

Vaping is better than smoking, but I still don't want to be *tied* to anything. So like you, I am on a step down program. I doubt I'll be vaping more than a 1 year 6 months in total.

crashhat69

ECF Veteran
Apr 19, 2012
USA

i used to vape 24 mg juice when i first got an e-cig and went through 3-4 cartomizers a day and i smoked maybe a half a pack of cigs a day lol

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
I think there's a difference between addiction amount and tolerance.

I think nic, by itself like in e-cigs, is less addicting over time. I can go longer without nic and cravings it seems. Yet, my level is still what I started with and consider fairly high. My volume may be lower. So is my tolerance (the same). The level hasn't INCREASED though... so I don't seem to need higher nic to get the effect as time goes on, but that may take decades, rather than months, if it happens at all.

Overall I've seen people cutting down over time with success, by what I read here. However, that's often a "plan" or "goal" to begin with so IDK how you decide that. Then there's factoring out all the other chemicals you used to get. I think you must build up a tolerance though. After all, how many of us, when we started, started smoking a pack a day? Could you have?

Buggs5347

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
Arizona
I agree I feel I can go longer without my ecig compared to analogs.

I have been on 18mg for over a year now. Might try to reduce to 12

What happens when you get to 0 nic? Do you just stop vaping cause you are getting nothing out of it?
I don't know if I will ever get to 0. Just wondering

Some vape 0 mg for years. Others decide to stop vaping. I've actually seen a lot of people here posting that they use 0 mg.

CarbonThief

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
I use 24 to even as high as 32 most of the time, but a couple of times a day I vape my HHV samplers that are dwindling and those are like 12 or 14 mg, without really noticing much effect on increased cravings or whatnot. I also accidentally ordered 0 nic juice in one of my favorite flavors, hypermint and still vape it too, though if I go too long with just this one I DO notice nic cravings ever so slightly. I plan to cut down to low nic or even 0 nic at some point by around the end of 2013, but don't intend to stop vaping. For me, the ritual is the real addiction, nic just slightly so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread