Genesis atomizer wick set ups

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimmyhat

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 25, 2012
West Chester, Pa
Now before i start this I know this is not a new topic but I figured I would post a thread to avoid endless searching through the forum. Anyway I have a bunch of zen stuff and a couple ihybirds, I've been playing around with different coil and wick setups and I can't seem to get the huge plumes of vapor that I see others getting. On my hybrids I have a thick solid wick with a 3 and a 4 wrap coil, they wick well and I'm getting excellent taste and good vapor but not huge amounts of vapor (vapor is about the same as you would get out of a vivi nova sometimes a tiny bit less). The same goes with the zen's I'm using the small wick with inuslator and 5-6 wraps and the huge vapor isn't there (there is still a good amount of vapor). Now i tried to tilt them different to regulate juice flow cause I thought maybe I was flooding it but that doesn't seem to be the case cause if it doesn't have a slight tilt it tends to give the burnt taste because the wick gets dry. Finally when I first make the wick and wire I do get a large amount of vapor and as time goes on (maybe one tank) it gets less and less (even with fully charged batteries). I have tried to just let the wick and wire go and hopefully it will break in but that never seems to happen. I have also done dry burns to full cleanings hoping that it was just a dirty coil and it helps a little but not enough. So anyway am I doing something wrong, am I getting desired results and I'm just expecting more than what genesis style attys can deliver or do I just have to keep with my wick and wire and eventually it will come around or do I need to try to build a really low resistance coil with a wick that siphons large amounts of juice to it. I am using 100% VG on all juices, and I have tried different resistances with my coil and what I'm at seems to work the best which is around 2 ohms give or take a little. Any help will be much appreciated, thanks.

unloaded

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 2, 2011
SW. Indiana
Is your air hole lined up good with your coil? If it is, it might be the size of the air hole. To me I usually find the gennys to be on the airy side of what I like. If I force myself to take slower easier draws I get a lot more vapor than if I take my usual hard fast draw. Take a look at Scott's reviews of some of the genny attys and pay attention to how long the draws are he takes. They are much longer than what I normally do, also he does more of a mouth hit and then inhale, I tend to do direct lung hits. You wouldn't think how you hit an atty would make that much difference but you'll be surprised when you try it differently. Here are Scott's genesis atty reviews, he also does some on hybrids:
Genesis Atomisers

spraintz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 18, 2010
Dallas, TX
Air equals vapor. Gotta get that airhole nice and lined up. unloaded is also right, how ya inhale will definitely determine vapor production. I have always done a mouth draw and then inhale. I have since changed to what I call a "double inhale"......draw into the mouth, quick inhale while taking a second draw into mouth and then inhale the second and then exhale......takes some practice but ya get tons of vapor. Warning, this can be a lung killer....I had to back down fro 24mg to 16.

also, it depends on how you want yer vapor......quick or slow? I have fallen in love with a sub-3second draw with tons of vapor........to do it i had to make 1ohm - 1.3ohm coils. you will have to adjust how you make yer wicks to keep up with it but it is awesome.

Jimmyhat

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 25, 2012
West Chester, Pa
Thanks guys, I was taking really long hits like 20 second direct lung hits and the smoke wasn't there, don't get me wrong it was a large amount but not the huge plumes. So I decided to try what unloaded said and i started playing around with the air hole, it appeared to me that it was dead on with the line up but apparently i must have been off a little cause after some fooling around the smoke production became greater and greater. The ihybrid however didn't seem to go as well so i put a 2.5ohm coil on it and kicked it at 9.5watts and its working pretty well, I wanted to stay away from the kick cause i think its unnecessary if the coil and wick are built right but it seems like my only option right not until I find the perfect set up. Also I tried what everyone said and lowed down my inhale even more to almost nothing and that seemed to improve things a little too. Thanks again, I really appreciate the help from everybody I still need to learn a lot more but I'm pretty happy with how things are now.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
i have always had better results with a very low resistance. i have tried every resistance configuration possible. for me, by far the thickest and most vapor comes from 28g, and under 1 ohm of resistance. my usual set-up is 3/4 or 4/5 wrap on my DID & ac-9 @ 0.09 ohms and 3.5 volts. i use all my gennys with this set-up on my provari and omega. i believe it also delivers the vapor alot quicker as well.

dwcraig1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2012
Imperial Beach, California
i have always had better results with a very low resistance. i have tried every resistance configuration possible. for me, by far the thickest and most vapor comes from 28g, and under 1 ohm of resistance. my usual set-up is 3/4 or 4/5 wrap on my DID & ac-9 @ 0.09 ohms and 3.5 volts. i use all my gennys with this set-up on my provari and omega. i believe it also delivers the vapor alot quicker as well.

I for one have been pretty much following your lead, everything's working real good, just wrap'em and vape'em not much fiddling around anymore

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
I for one have been pretty much following your lead, everything's working real good, just wrap'em and vape'em not much fiddling around anymore
thanks buddy, you know i just got thrown for a loop on my new ac-9 that i just recieved. i set it up like i have on all my gennys and was getting a nasty taste. i was rethinking everything that i had ever done. changed meshes, resistances, wires. messed around for 4 days and just could not get the flavor. in the end it was that i wasnt oxidizing my wicks enough. with my dids and ac-9 i had no issues with the way i was oxidizing my wicks i would always pre-ox/ burn&quence 3x's/ 3 juice burns. but for the ac-9 i just wasnt burning the wick long enough. you really kind of got to get them black. so when i here about that method of not doing any oxidation, thats crazy. i would like to see that on the ac-9. so in short not all gennys react the same, so information can vary as well.

dwcraig1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2012
Imperial Beach, California
thanks buddy, you know i just got thrown for a loop on my new ac-9 that i just recieved. i set it up like i have on all my gennys and was getting a nasty taste. i was rethinking everything that i had ever done. changed meshes, resistances, wires. messed around for 4 days and just could not get the flavor. in the end it was that i wasnt oxidizing my wicks enough. with my dids and ac-9 i had no issues with the way i was oxidizing my wicks i would always pre-ox/ burn&quence 3x's/ 3 juice burns. but for the ac-9 i just wasnt burning the wick long enough. you really kind of got to get them black. so when i here about that method of not doing any oxidation, thats crazy. i would like to see that on the ac-9. so in short not all gennys react the same, so information can vary as well.

I have to admit , well first I believe you, that doesn't seem probable as the devices work pretty much the same, I imagine that you felt the same way prior to making it work to your liking.

Is the wick hole size different than the others?

Last edited:

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
I have to admit , well first I believe you, that doesn't seem probable as the devices work pretty much the same, I imagine that you felt the same way prior to making it work to your liking.

yes, you would think. what may have been the precise issue is that in the ac-9 the distance from the juice to the coils is a large distance, like the bottom deck is twice as thick as my other devices. the actual wick comes in to more metal contact under the top deck. there is a long channel above the juice and below the coils that the wick is in. so i guess there is just twice as much chance for contact to the metal sides then the did and aga. thats the only reason that i can see, i must have rolled and oxidized 8 different wick configurations, all the same way i have always done, and none worked before almost charring the last one. but let me tell you it was worth it, the ac-9 is very nice, a little big but nice.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
what do you think of the plastic tank? does it look like it will hold up?

yes, i think the tank will. it is the first plastic tank that i have. one thing is that, like on my small vi vi nova, when changing juices the plastic holds the flavor of last juice for a while, especially some menthols. but the plastic on the ac-9 seems more dense, it hasnt held any flavors. but not really sure. i know i cannot buy a replacement glass tank for it. but for the wick issues, it was really strange. i litterally made 8 different wicks for it, all different meshes 270/325/400/500, also different hole sizes, all were oxidized exactly the same as i have been doing for my dids and aga. everyone tasted burnt. i even took out a wick from my perfectly workind did and put it into the ac-9 and it also tasted burnt. it wasnt till i really smoked the heck out of the last wick that the flavor came to life. and some say they dont oxidize at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread