• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Traveling to thailand. Bring my ecig?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heading to Thailand in July to do a month of backpacking. Would like to bring my ecig(maxi-roughtstack) but have heard scary stuff about Thailand's strict drug laws. I really don't want to go back to smoking analog cigarettes, but I also really don't want to end up in Thia prison... Are ecig's illegal in Thailand? Will I get arrested for vaping my roughstack in public?(It looks more like a drug pipe then a traditional ecig...) Even if they are legal, I'm worried that I wont be able to explain to a police officer what it is(I don't speak Thai) and they will just assume I am smoking crack or something illegal... Would I be better off using a regular pen-style ecig that looks like a cigarette? Edit: Also, would anyone who speaks Thai be willing to write me a brief explanation of what E-cigs are? Just in case I run across a suspicious none english speaking police officer?

Last edited:

famous

ECF Veteran
Feb 21, 2009
I have vaped in thailand for years and no one has paid any attention. I have crossed borders with laos and cambodia and no one cared about my ecig gear. I didn't even think about it being illegal and have vaped where anyone could see it including police etc. and no one has said anything.

I usually stow the bigger amounts of juice and batteries in the check in luggage, but have had smaller amounts of juice and batts in carry on and no one has said anything. I think i remember an xray screener pulling out a bat/atomizer and i just made a motion like smoking a cig and they shrugged and put it back in my carry on bag.

i hope your luck is good with your gear. I think i can safely say that no one is really on the look out for ecigs, and if they see you vaping they don't know what it is.

famous

ECF Veteran
Feb 21, 2009
I forgot to add that if thais do motion or smile and point at my ecig i take out my 5 mil juice bottle and motion that i pour the juice in the ecig and then smoke it like a cigarette. ( i drip my ecigs) you can point at a juice bottle and say

nam (pronounced like viet-nam) and buri (pronounced like burreee) and they just nod and smile. nam is water-and buri is tobacco so you are saying water tobacco. they get it. the english word battery seems well understood. you can pronounce it something like bat tree. nam buri should work well if a policeman ever asked about your ecig.

believe me, they have more serious things to watch out for than a guy puffing on an ecig!

Jali

Feb 23, 2012
Finland
Hello. Has there been any change about this? I going for vacation to thailand for 1 month starting 16th january and thinking about bringing my ecigs with me. Can i bring them without fear that they will be taken away in border? And also are there any stores in bangkok that sell juice in store? Would be also really nice to buy thai hand made mod from there. If there even are any mod makers in thailand?

jackbox

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2012
Thailand (U.S. Expat)
Hello. Has there been any change about this? I going for vacation to thailand for 1 month starting 16th january and thinking about bringing my ecigs with me. Can i bring them without fear that they will be taken away in border? And also are there any stores in bangkok that sell juice in store? Would be also really nice to buy thai hand made mod from there. If there even are any mod makers in thailand?

You should have no problem bringing in an e-cig and a small amount of juice. Customs at the airports in Thailand is quite lax. Just go through the no declare line. The only real enforcement is on shipments coming into Thailand, not users. There are even Thai websites and forums that openly sell ecigs and liquid. There are several places to buy ejuice retail but they keep it low key. The one that I have seen in person to check it out is in the basement level of Big C Imperial Lathphrao (Latphrao road soi 85 or thereabouts). There is a phone store called "Connect Mobile" that is several independent sellers in one location. If you enter the store on the left hand side, go all the way to he back and on your right you will see a glass case facing the back of the store. In that case is official Joyetech devices (there are listed on Joyetech Thailand as an official reseller) and Innokin products. They even had the eVic in stock when I checked it out a week ago. They sell Innokin juice and some others. The only price I saw was Innokin 20ml bottles for 500 baht. I did not ask about the price on the other ejuice they had in stock. They have a wide variety of products but low stock levels. There are other storss also. Go to Joyetech Thailand website and look at the official resellers list. That will give you a clue to where some others are located. Enjoy your trip.

jackbox

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2012
Thailand (U.S. Expat)
You should have no problem bringing in an e-cig and a small amount of juice. Customs at the airports in Thailand is quite lax. Just go through the no declare line. The only real enforcement is on shipments coming into Thailand, not users. There are even Thai websites and forums that openly sell ecigs and liquid. There are several places to buy ejuice retail but they keep it low key. The one that I have seen in person to check it out is in the basement level of Big C Imperial Lathphrao (Latphrao road soi 85 or thereabouts). There is a phone store called "Connect Mobile" that is several independent sellers in one location. If you enter the store on the left hand side, go all the way to he back and on your right you will see a glass case facing the back of the store. In that case is official Joyetech devices (there are listed on Joyetech Thailand as an official reseller) and Innokin products. They even had the eVic in stock when I checked it out a week ago. They sell Innokin juice and some others. The only price I saw was Innokin 20ml bottles for 500 baht. I did not ask about the price on the other ejuice they had in stock. They have a wide variety of products but low stock levels. There are other storss also. Go to Joyetech Thailand website and look at the official resellers list. That will give you a clue to where some others are located. Enjoy your trip.

This is not true any more. Be very discreet and careful with bringing ejuice into the country. Recently, the police have cracked down on retailers selling ejuice by raiding their shops, confiscating their juice and putting the owners in jail.

mikeygar

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 17, 2012
Manila
This is not true any more. Be very discreet and careful with bringing ejuice into the country. Recently, the police have cracked down on retailers selling ejuice by raiding their shops, confiscating their juice and putting the owners in jail.

Will be travelling to BKK end of the month and what you said is very serious! For what charges? Illegal importation? How about travellers with ecigs for personal use? Vaping in public? Read somewhere that it is pretty much ignored...

spiderman

ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2010
Malaysia/Sungai Petani
Will be travelling to BKK end of the month and what you said is very serious! For what charges? Illegal importation? How about travellers with ecigs for personal use? Vaping in public? Read somewhere that it is pretty much ignored...

So hows it..did you go to bangkok and bring your e cig along. Pass thru flight customs with no problem. I am going to bangkok end of april...thought of bringing my lavatube with stardust & 10ml of e liquid with me. Is it better to check them in or hand carry would be better? I would prefer to hand carry so i can vape when needed..if i check in then i have to wait till i get to Bangkok collect my luggage then start vaping. If i hand carry must I dismantle them or put them together would pose no problems? I am really confused on what to do. I was thinking I put some stardust, 10ml liquid & 3 18650 batts into check in luggage and hand carry my lavatube body, one stardust saperately in a pouch and a spare 10ml e liquid in my pockets..would there be a problem? Please advice and thanks for helping me out.

Lukey1979

Oct 9, 2012
Surin Thailand
I'm in and out of BKK airport a couple of times each month and never have any problems with E-cigs or liquids. I keep my liquids and spare parts in a box with all my toilettries in my hold luggage and my e cigs with a little spare juice in my hand luggage.
In the 13 years I have been coming here, I have been stopped by customs once.
Try bringing a more inconspicuous PV if you can, like an Elips or Ego C, you don't want the Lavatube drawing too much attention from the wrong people.

Last edited:

MKE_Doug

Aug 25, 2013
Milwaukee, Wi
I'm visiting Thailand late November 2013 and trying to get a handle on what to do regarding my vaping gear and juice. From a distance, it seems that anti-vaping enforcement grows a bit more every couple months.

So I'm perplexed. The last thing I want to do is get held up at customs after 22 hours of travel, so I'm (reluctantly) considering leaving everything at home. It also appears to be very difficult to buy a battery or juice once I arrive. That leaves me panicked that I'll pick up an analog during the trip.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
The trip was booked before I fully quit cigarettes, and now that I vape exclusively, I'm really concerned the one thing that allowed me to quit will be unavailable during my travel.

spiderman

ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2010
Malaysia/Sungai Petani
I'm visiting Thailand late November 2013 and trying to get a handle on what to do regarding my vaping gear and juice. From a distance, it seems that anti-vaping enforcement grows a bit more every couple months.

So I'm perplexed. The last thing I want to do is get held up at customs after 22 hours of travel, so I'm (reluctantly) considering leaving everything at home. It also appears to be very difficult to buy a battery or juice once I arrive. That leaves me panicked that I'll pick up an analog during the trip.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
The trip was booked before I fully quit cigarettes, and now that I vape exclusively, I'm really concerned the one thing that allowed me to quit will be unavailable during my travel.

hi, i went over to bangkok & haadyai last year. wat i did was spare batts, charger, eliquid 50ml in seal plastic in the luggage. expensive pv in luggage. i carry ego with cotton carto with me (no liquid) .passed customs no prob. if they ask just say 'nam buree'...water cigarette. hope this helps

aiccucs

Verified Member
Aug 3, 2012
Ohio
Is everything in this thread still pretty accurate?

I'm traveling to Thailand in a week with my wife and have a tackle box full of vape gear.

iTaste MVP
Nemesis
Zmax mini
5 18500 batteries
5 18350 batteries
2 Xtar chargers
100ml of 3 different juices
5 cartomizers
5 atomizers
iTaste Clear 30 with a couple replacement heads

I wasn't really worried about it but it seems like the Thai government is cracking down harder.

I'll be upset if everything gets seized but am willing to take the risk as long as I'm not put in jail over it.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

CABBA

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2013
Canada
for the most part i think bringing in things in your luggage will be alright. Drop the packaging, separate things a bit.. keep the liquids in the toiletries bag, tanks randomly scattered in the clothing.. parts such as batteries or wire that could be multi purpose, leave them in the box, say they are your hand tools for work.. for the most part there is a very small chance that they will look at your bag more than just the x-ray belt. if they do open it as long as its separated they will not know how the pieces go together and what they combine into. should be pretty straight forward, does any one else have any bad experiences arriving in the Land of smiles?

Definitely i can attest to the fact that ordering things online and receiving orders in Thailand can be difficult. any mention of vaporizer or ecig will most likely get held up and rejected. My first Halo order was shipped to Thailand (starter triton kit and some ejuice) and it was stopped and confiscated. customs told me that the liquids were illegal since they were like medicine. They said that the batteries and tanks alone were not the problem but they could not split the order and there was nothing i could do. several months later.. i ordered juice online and asked them to keep labeling to a minimum.. and the juice made it right to my door.. a month later i ordered a couple of spare ego batteries and empty protank, and customs stopped the order saying that it could not be imported. luckily this time the package was coming in with DHL and the agreed to ship the order back to the sender so i got the value of the order back as credit.

Back on topic, i think moving through the airport with your stuff packed strategically should be ok. online orders are anybody's guess, anything you order may be confiscated so be prepared. For the life of me i dont know why of all the things going on in Thailand ecigarettes have attracted such heat.. i dont even know what the rule is. i see people vaping around BKK and know that there are places selling some low quality stuff.. its confusing and unfortunate.

ModBox

ECF Veteran
Dec 4, 2013
United Kingdom
I was vaping in BKK airport...oops. I was there about a month and brought about 150ml of juice, several clearomisers and my mvp2. Some in hand luggage some in main bag. I'd say you'd have to be very unlucky - vaped openly everywhere I went the entire time. No problems. Rarely saw any police actually in the cities. Thailand is the last place you want to get in trouble with the law though so I'm not sure what I will do next time. People on the beaches sell e liquid (might be 0mg) and ecigs - they were all quite impressed by my MVP. The bar girls thought it looked like a telephone and kept either trying to make calls with it or offering me an ashtray as a joke. :D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread