Status
Not open for further replies.

mamu

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 29, 2009
IN USA
I got the inspiration to do this mod from d9mel. Thanks for sharing, mel! :toast:

I found it to be an easy-peasy stress-free build. Well, compared to the Lexi-DNA20D it's easy-peasy and stress-free. :laugh: No rectangular cutout to do, very little putzing with the OLED and cable, and all work is done with the entire front of the case open for easy access during the build.

The case is a Hammand aluminum enclosure 1590ABK - 3.6" high, 1.5" wide, and 1.1" depth (92mm x 38mm x 31mm). It's coated with a black matte finish that is very durable.

Like mel, I replaced the lid with a clear cover, but I used a piece of Lexan polycarbonate. Lexan is easy to work with - no cracking or chipping at the edges when cutting and is a bit thicker (2.4mm) than acrylic. I used a dremel heavy duty cutting wheel to cut and shape the cover.

Milo has 2, 1200mAh 25C li-poly batts for a total of 2400mAh, 60A and Evolv's micro-USB charging board.

Here's the pdf how-to: Milo-DNA20D

milo1.jpg

milo2.jpg

It's small and fits in my hand really well...
milo3.jpg

I sucked at getting all the bubbles from the tint, so after 3 tries I said the heck with tinting, but took a pic before trashing the tint. :laugh: If I do another one, I'll get a black transparent piece of Lexan.
milo4.jpg

Back side of the mod...
milo5.jpg

Size comparison with Lexi-DNA20D...
milo6.jpg

jmarkus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 3, 2011
CA USA
wow, thanks so much for this tutorial mamu!! simple, clean...looks so nice with the tint like d9's. bomb-esque without tint. :)

did you epoxy the screen to the poly cover? also, is see you have electrical tape on the connections, did you just solder wires together or do you have some sort of pin connections under that tape?

Last edited:

negrete35

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2012
Caldwell, Idaho
That is so awesome! Thank you so much. I have next to zero experience with electronics and little experience with soldering. But now I think I could try to tackle this with a little practice soldering. I love my provari for the regulated power, but I wish I could get a little more out of it. With this I could hit the 17 watts range I like. Great! If I could make any suggestion or request more like, I would like to have a simple tutorial like this with just a slightly smaller case. Thanks again. I cant wait to try it!

mamu

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 29, 2009
IN USA
wow, thanks so much for this tutorial mamu!! simple, clean...looks so nice with the tint like d9's. bomb-esque without tint. :)

did you epoxy the screen to the poly cover? also, is see you have electrical tape on the connections, did you just solder wires together or do you have some sort of pin connections under that tape?

No, there's nothing fixed to the Lexan cover. The screen is only secured to the dna board with a piece of clear mounting tape.

It's not electrical tape - it's heat shrink tubing. The wire ends are soldered together then heat shrink tubing slipped over the soldered connection.

That is so awesome! Thank you so much. I have next to zero experience with electronics and little experience with soldering. But now I think I could try to tackle this with a little practice soldering. I love my provari for the regulated power, but I wish I could get a little more out of it. With this I could hit the 17 watts range I like. Great! If I could make any suggestion or request more like, I would like to have a simple tutorial like this with just a slightly smaller case. Thanks again. I cant wait to try it!

It would be near impossible to make it smaller and still pack it with what's in there, and especially have 2400mAh with dual li-poly batts for longer vape time. I could prob shave a 1/2" on the height and an unch off the depth, but it doesn't get much smaller than a 1.5" width. :laugh:

Cyrus Vap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 8, 2011
Bay Area, California
great work mamu :)

I've had that same box sitting here for a while, and decided to pass on using it because the slant on the sides/top/bottom would make for a not so flush drip well, etc. Sanding is obviously out of the question unless you're willing to part with the paint.

From your pics it looks like this wasn't an issue, was the top of your box not angled?

breaktru

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Thanks guys! :)
LOLOLOL!! I used a cc as a squeegee. I still sucked at it. :oops:

I did some auto window tinting years ago. I would use a spray solution of water and baby shampoo to wash the surface that you are applying the tint to and spray on to the same surface just before placing the tint. Also spray over the tint so that the squeegee doesn't scratch the tinting.

mwa102464

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2009
Outside of the Philadelphia Burbs, NJ & Fla
Nice job, I'm liking the dual batts and ones selected, DuPont Corian makes for a nice case ;-) you can mill it to any size you like, comes in 1/2" sheets, and in numerous colors and patterns , I especially like the ones that looks just like granite. Stack 3 x 1/2" slabs using the Dupont seam filler to hold and adhear all 3 together making 1 - 1-1/2 box, take the plunge router to the solid block to mill out the inside, mill to exact depth & thickness needed, leave small offset on opening for finish panel to set on ;-)

Last edited:

negrete35

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2012
Caldwell, Idaho
No, there's nothing fixed to the Lexan cover. The screen is only secured to the DNA board with a piece of clear mounting tape.

It's not electrical tape - it's heat shrink tubing. The wire ends are soldered together then heat shrink tubing slipped over the soldered connection.

It would be near impossible to make it smaller and still pack it with what's in there, and especially have 2400mAh with dual li-poly batts for longer vape time. I could prob shave a 1/2" on the height and an unch off the depth, but it doesn't get much smaller than a 1.5" width. :laugh:

Thats cool. I think the only thing I would like to change might be the depth. I dont want to come across as critical of your work. I dont have any of the talent required to come up with something like this. I just like smaller, stealthier vapes. lol. But this thing looks awesome.

mamu

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 29, 2009
IN USA
great work mamu :)

I've had that same box sitting here for a while, and decided to pass on using it because the slant on the sides/top/bottom would make for a not so flush drip well, etc. Sanding is obviously out of the question unless you're willing to part with the paint.

From your pics it looks like this wasn't an issue, was the top of your box not angled?

It does have a slight angle and you can see it when looking from the side of the case. It wasn't an issue to getting a flush juice well and atty connector though.

I did some auto window tinting years ago. I would use a spray solution of water and baby shampoo to wash the surface that you are applying the tint to and spray on to the same surface just before placing the tint. Also spray over the tint so that the squeegee doesn't scratch the tinting.

Thanks breaktru! I'll give that a try. I've been looking and so far can't find black transparent Lexan.

Thats cool. I think the only thing I would like to change might be the depth. I dont want to come across as critical of your work. I dont have any of the talent required to come up with something like this. I just like smaller, stealthier vapes. lol. But this thing looks awesome.

LOL - no I didn't think you were being critical. With the dual li-poly batts and DNA20D board and the OLED sitting on top of each other, for this build that depth is needed as the OLED sits just under the Lexan cover. And with that depth, it's not stealth friendly.

Scottinboca

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 14, 2011
Planet Vapton
Last edited:

mamu

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 29, 2009
IN USA
Mamu, I don't know if this helps, but here's a supplier of bronze or gray tint Lexan:Gray and Bronze Lexan* Polycarbonate 9034 Sheeting | U.S. Plastic Corp.

Or check this dye out!!! Make it sunglass tinted!https://www.1-800-optisource.com/Polycarbonate-Premium-Black.aspx

Here's tons of colors:Poly Dyes

Holy cow - that's some moolah on those sheets. :laugh:

Excellent find on the tint dye. I'm going to get a can and try it. Thanks so much Scott!

I found this and am going to try it to see which one I like better... Pactra Transparent Black Tint Spray Paint

ETA: this looks interesting too... Transparent Black Window Tint

Last edited:

bapgood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2012
Utah
Holy cow - that's some moolah on those sheets. :laugh:

Excellent find on the tint dye. I'm going to get a can and try it. Thanks so much Scott!

I found this and am going to try it to see which one I like better... Pactra Transparent Black Tint Spray Paint

ETA: this looks interesting too... Transparent Black Window Tint

Aww snap! you mean like this :D

399D0073-F709-46C8-92F1-386732CDFBBD-6083-0000035338F665E3.jpg

This is the air brush version....I totally forgot I had it until you said something....RC crossing over again...so cool

mamu, I have an ~4'x4' sheet of bronze lexan, but I think its matte if that matters....If your interested I can send you a piece to try

also where do you get your 12mm SS clicky and mini tac buttons?

jmlott

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 4, 2011
Marietta, GA
Thanks for this tutorial Mamu, it's going to be a big help on my first mod. I was going to attempt the Lexi build when I first saw it, but this looks a bit easier to work with and still looks good.

I would like mine to be a bit smaller though, so I was thinking about getting the same enclosure, but only using a single battery and trimming the depth down a bit. Do the screw holes on the case go all the way through so I can still use them after shaving it down?

Also, do I still need a fuse on the battery if I am just using a single cell? I'm thinking that is just needed for running the 2 in parallel, but I wanted to verify first. I know the board has Li-Po protection on it already, so I should be able to solder it directly.

Thanks!

mamu

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 29, 2009
IN USA
...mamu, I have an ~4'x4' sheet of bronze lexan, but I think its matte if that matters....If your interested I can send you a piece to try

also where do you get your 12mm SS clicky and mini tac buttons?

Thanks for the offer, bap, but I think I'll give the black transparent tint paint a try first. The bronze Lexan I saw is too thick.

The 12mm ss switch you can get from digikey or ebay (search for 12mm ss switches or part #PV5S640SS ) and the mini tact buttons are from madvapes. They're out of the 100g ones and hope they get some in soon - my stash of the 100g is getting low.

bapgood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2012
Utah
Thanks for the offer, bap, but I think I'll give the black transparent tint paint a try first. The bronze Lexan I saw is too thick.

The 12mm ss switch you can get from digikey or ebay (search for 12mm ss switches or part #PV5S640SS ) and the mini tact buttons are from madvapes. They're out of the 100g ones and hope they get some in soon - my stash of the 100g is getting low.

Thanks for the info....Ill measure the lexan...I'm pretty sure its thicker than 2.4mm....thinking like 1/8" to 3/16"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread