Stainless steel mesh for RBA health risk?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rolygate

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2009
ECF Towers
Also there would be a question of the amount of 'rust' or oxidised material inhaled. It seems hard to come up with a number exceeding a few nanogrammes, over an extended period of time, assuming that this could take place.

The lungs can probably deal with more contaminants than we give them credit for, since otherwise miners and many other groups of workers would be dead very quickly. I would sooner inhale ferrous, chromium or nickel oxides anyway than rock dust.

It is more likely that larger (but still minuscule) quantities of general oxidised organic materials are inhaled with any atomiser or heater coil system, resulting from liquid residues forming on the coil and then burnt off. If any inhalation of non-desirable materials occurs then this is where to start looking; but it is difficult to see how the numbers could be significant. It seems likely that city air contains more particulates than the oxide particulates expelled from an atomiser.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
wiki:

Stainless steel does not readily corrode, rust or stain with water as ordinary steel does, but despite the name it is not fully stain-proof, most notably under low oxygen, high salinity, or poor circulation environments. It is also called corrosion-resistant steel or CRES when the alloy type and grade are not detailed, particularly in the aviation industry. There are different grades and surface finishes of stainless steel to suit the environment the alloy must endure. Stainless steel is used where both the properties of steel and resistance to corrosion are required.

For over three years now, I've never seen rust on the metal mesh of an atomizer. Not saying it doesn't happen, just that I haven't seen it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread