Status
Not open for further replies.

CASEACE79

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2011
Delaware
The biggest advantage a hybrid or mech mod with a genny atomizer is that you can build low ohm coils. I prefer 28g kanthal as it has a larger surface area to heat the juice. In order not to get an E1 or E2 error you need an 8/7 wrap which is just redicilous. The downside is the voltage drop off after awhile. Your vape gets weaker and weaker as the battery drains. Some mods and hybrids can accommodate a kick to regulate the wattage but I have found that 10 watts is just not enough for how "I" vape. I emphasized the "I" because others do use the kick with them.

darthkir

Dec 21, 2012
Malaysia
The biggest advantage a hybrid or mech mod with a genny atomizer is that you can build low ohm coils. I prefer 28g kanthal as it has a larger surface area to heat the juice. In order not to get an E1 or E2 error you need an 8/7 wrap which is just redicilous. The downside is the voltage drop off after awhile. Your vape gets weaker and weaker as the battery drains. Some mods and hybrids can accommodate a kick to regulate the wattage but I have found that 10 watts is just not enough for how "I" vape. I emphasized the "I" because others do use the kick with them.

What is the minimum ohm supported by the Provari?

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
like 1.1 or1.2 something right around 1 ohm i think, i have accidentally run 1.3 ohm coils on it, when i was tired and thought it said 1.8. the only problem is if something happens along the way and creates a situation where the coil drops a little more you could be stuck with an E1.
otherwise a mech is probably the only mod that is more durable then a provari.
and its not like a 2 ohm coil is going to vape so much less then a lower/thicker coil. its just more efficient electrical wise to go lower.

i want a mech just to have one to play with, but i wouldnt give up my proV for it.

jimmyh

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2012
Niagara Falls NY
I own a mechanical. That being said, they are 2 entirely different beast. Other than a battery they really have nothing in common. I can put anything on my mechanical that I want also. They will vape differently. My YJ vv will vape different than my Legacy. If you use a kick with a mechanical, that would be a better comparison. Some mechanicals have a lifetime warranty.

CASEACE79

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2011
Delaware
One of the other differences is that when a mech mod doesn't fire it can only be a handful of things that could be wrong. Almost anything that fails is readily avail at lowes or home depot. Also you can wash a mech mod. No wires means as long as you dry everything off before firing you're good. Keep in mind that You asked what was better about a mech mod. I could argue the other side of the coin too. Is this a should I get a mech or provari? Or is it more of a why are all these people getting these mech mods when vv mods are available?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

darthkir

Dec 21, 2012
Malaysia
One of the other differences is that when a mech mod doesn't fire it can only be a handful of things that could be wrong. Almost anything that fails is readily avail at lowes or home depot. Also you can wash a mech mod. No wires means as long as you dry everything off before firing you're good. Keep in mind that You asked what was better about a mech mod. I could argue the other side of the coin too. Is this a should I get a mech or provari? Or is it more of a why are all these people getting these mech mods when vv mods are available?
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Yes maybe that is a more correct question, " should I get a mech or provari?" I am also currently using a Cobra RBA and UDCT.

sawlight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2009
Kansas
With a hybrid you are stuck with the genesis atty on it. With full mech you are stuck with low resistance coil attys. With provari vv, you can slap anything you want on it. If this is going to be your first apv, provari is recommended.

I disagree with this, being an "oldie" with a BB, I've managed to vape rather well with 2-3 ohm atty's on it. Not a "true" mechanical, but close enough.

I own a mechanical. That being said, they are 2 entirely different beast. Other than a battery they really have nothing in common. I can put anything on my mechanical that I want also. They will vape differently. My YJ vv will vape different than my Legacy. If you use a kick with a mechanical, that would be a better comparison. Some mechanicals have a lifetime warranty.

I agree with this. Yes, RBA's add a lot of flexibility to a mechanical, but they certainly aren't the "last word" to be used on them as seems to be the norm around here anymore! Yes, LR produces better on them, but you don't need that, and you don't need a Kick to make them function. Anything around 2 ohms will work, and work rather well on them.

I own the BB as a back up, and it's a remarkable back up! I have a Provari mini as my daily driver, then I have a tin mod that runs on one 18650 as my "night on the town" PV. Yes, the battery does drop off, which doesn't happen with the ProV. But I can make any of them work well, and satisfactorily.
So do you want "simplistic elegance" that "just works", the mechanical that I can respect?
Or adjust ability to make what you have suit your needs at the time, the Provari?
Both can and will do the job, don't buy into the hype either way. It's a matter of what's going to work for you, in the way you want it to work! Are you going to always be able to get the atty's you want from "that vendor" to keep the mechanical happy? If so, go mechanical. Really want to experience the true joy that a Genesis can give? Mechanical.
Want to buy whatever you can get your hands on and vape? Provari.
Want to play with RBA's and not worry if it's right or wrong and have the built in protection cover your ....? Provari.
I don't know how to make it much more simple than that!

darthkir

Dec 21, 2012
Malaysia
I disagree with this, being an "oldie" with a BB, I've managed to vape rather well with 2-3 ohm atty's on it. Not a "true" mechanical, but close enough.

I agree with this. Yes, RBA's add a lot of flexibility to a mechanical, but they certainly aren't the "last word" to be used on them as seems to be the norm around here anymore! Yes, LR produces better on them, but you don't need that, and you don't need a Kick to make them function. Anything around 2 ohms will work, and work rather well on them.

I own the BB as a back up, and it's a remarkable back up! I have a Provari mini as my daily driver, then I have a tin mod that runs on one 18650 as my "night on the town" PV. Yes, the battery does drop off, which doesn't happen with the ProV. But I can make any of them work well, and satisfactorily.
So do you want "simplistic elegance" that "just works", the mechanical that I can respect?
Or adjust ability to make what you have suit your needs at the time, the Provari?
Both can and will do the job, don't buy into the hype either way. It's a matter of what's going to work for you, in the way you want it to work! Are you going to always be able to get the atty's you want from "that vendor" to keep the mechanical happy? If so, go mechanical. Really want to experience the true joy that a Genesis can give? Mechanical.
Want to buy whatever you can get your hands on and vape? Provari.
Want to play with RBA's and not worry if it's right or wrong and have the built in protection cover your ....? Provari.
I don't know how to make it much more simple than that!

Can you please elaborate on what you meant by this please?

" Really want to experience the true joy that a Genesis can give? Mechanical."

sawlight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2009
Kansas
Seriously, can you vape a 3ohm atty when battery voltage drops to 3.4? Can it even produce vapor at less than 4 watts?

Seriously, it's what we had to do sometimes "way back when". It's not the best for sure, but it's about what Blu is doing. I'm certainly great full to not HAVE TO now days.

sawlight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2009
Kansas
Can you please elaborate on what you meant by this please?

" Really want to experience the true joy that a Genesis can give? Mechanical."

Basically, it's like the Purists dream, simplicity at it's finest. If you look at the high end mods, the Zenisis, IHybird, NGP etc., this is all they are. A simple mechanical mod, with a Genesis atomizer on it. These are beloved for the simplicity. Much like an audio purists, they forgo all the lights, bells whistles, etc. and go straight for the simple tube amp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread