Status
Not open for further replies.

Shy De

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 10, 2013
Oregon
The FDA may decide to put restrictions or possible bans on some forms of vaping. While this may be unlikely, this made me think there may be situations where we would have to prepare to make a supply list to last us a long of time. It would be interesting to see what the supply list would comprise and the variety of opinions each individual would have to feel the most prepared. The list would also help us determine the cost range of a project to prepare your liquids for a year at a time.

I want to propose a hypothetical scenerio which involves a drastic change to our current vaping experience and system. We will call this DoomsVape.

To be best prepared, a person would have to learn how to be self sufficent and independent. To keep our vaping lifestyle as close to what we are the most familiar, most people would have to learn how to make their own e liquids. Many of us already do because its very inexpensive and liberating. Those who have the most experience have a lot to offer those who have not had the chance to learn this skill.

I am trying to determine about an one year supply of vaping liquids and supplies. In this training exercise, I want us to comprise a list of supplies needed for making this amount of juice. It would be interesting to see the variety and maybe we can all learn from eachother and make the perfect list. Lets break it down as though we are starting from scratch and we have nothing on handd. Even include measuring supplies, storage, and other incidentals. In the post, lets specify the percentages, nic strength if any, PG/VG ratios, flavoring based on percentages and assorted other supplies.... Also, lets list our MUST HAVE receipes!!!

This list may actually make a great reference for the newbie in DIY because it may cover all bases and possibilies. It may also exclude items that are not general needed and can be confusing and clutter the work space.

I will offer my own info and ideas as I learn and practice them. Please feel free to offer constructive feedback. I have thick skin!!

Thank you guys and lets have fun learning what it would look like to be completely sufficent.

Shyla

Last edited:

JoshM

Moved On
Jan 17, 2013
US
  • Deleted by Unforeseen
  • Reason: Moved On

salemgold

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2010
South Carolina
Stock up on nicotine. The flavorings/pg and vg will always be available. To figure how much you need, take the number of mls that you vape each day and multiply by the strength (mg) that will tell you how many mgs you use each day. Multiply by 365 days in a year and divide by the strength (mg) that you are going to buy in order to figure how much you will need per year. Nicotine freezes well in glass bottles and will last a long time in the freezer.

I buy my nicotine/pg/vg and flavors from RTS vapes. Use code firstorder to save 20% on your first order of nic/pg/vg.

Good luck.

ETA- Please do be sure to read the stickies and be sure that you understand how to safely handle nicotine before attempting any DIY.

Last edited:
Reactions: 52anddone

windozehater

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2012
Nebraska
I hope the moderators are ok with this i think its sanitized enough. Now, i have been thinking on the same plane. i've come to realize 1. they will never ban flavorings this will be a non issue, along with VG or PG so that leaves NIC. you need to calculate your desired nic level, lets use 10mg/ml for a nice round number. now figure out how much you need, lets say your usage is 20ml a week, about a 1000ml(i like round #'s) to get a 1000ml of 10mg per mil you need 10,000mg of pure nic(never ever buy touch or be in the same county as pure nic) lets use a reasonable nic level that can by diluted i'll give a number(need to conform to the forum rules)and multiply or NOT till you reach something divisible easily by 10. so lets use 36mg/ml divided by 10000 is 277ml's of 36mg nic base now subtract 277 from 1000 total = 733 and if you like 50/50 that would be 366 ml's of pg and 366 ml's of vg. so we have (277mls of 36mg/ml base) (366 ml's of pg) (366 ml's of vg) that gives you 1009 mls unflavored 10mg/ml e-liquid, now factor your flavor 10-20% guessing so 100-200mls of flavors. so theoretically buy 300mls of 36mg/ml and put it in cold/dark storage. the other half of my plan is mechanical only mod (cant ban batteries) somthing like a GG or Bolt, box mod. and the last piece is a rebuildable atty like an oddy or an AGAt or z-atty because of course can ban mesh or heating wire. hope this helps, spreading my paranoia. :nun::unsure::angel:TO OUR WORNDERFUL MODERATORS IF I BROKE ANY FORUM RULES PLEASE BE KIND

Shilo

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 27, 2011
Here & There
It really depends how much quantity wise you vape. A couple liters should last you awhile :) People are discussing stuff like this on several other threads but I haven't seen one in this section of the forum. I got two orders in at Wizard before the shutdown and I will be ordering more when they reopen just for some peace of mind as there are two vapers here.

The first question is how much freezer space does a person have to store nic solution long term and what else is the most imperative things to have. The flavorings will always be available so thats no worry. PG and VG are easy to get so thats no problem. I am focusing on stocking up on nic solution at the moment. I have a good supply of flavorings on hand a anyways as I've been at this awhile and I am a diy buying addict...lol But will I buy more? Probably so. If you are just starting out its hard to do that until you know what flavorings you actually like and will use again.

I like Wizard Labs for my nic solution and the backups are ecigexpress's nic solution, MyFreedomSmokes, RTS Vapes, Vaping Zone's nic solution. There are others but those are the ones I have used. High Desert Vapes also has flavorings and carries some of the Wizard Labs nic base so thats good for a backup source too.

Flavorings number one source for me is ecigexpress most flavorings under one roof and adds more brands and flavors often. No one stocks as extensively as they do. Backup for super concentrated flavorings for me is Vaping Zone. OneStopDIYShop lady is nice to deal with for small sample sizes. I tend to buy when there are sales at any of these places. The best way to know about sales is get on their mailing list or check the deals & steals thread daily.

I buy PG at the Tractor Store and VG with any of the above vendors. And thats my story and I'm sticking to it....:D

Lavaca5

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
LOL! I'm with you, Shy De. We may not be faced with an all-out ban, but I think that access to liquid nicotine / nic juice is likely to be significantly restricted, perhaps to the point that it becomes too costly and/or too risky for most juice vendors to stay in business. I'm hoping for the best, but like you, I'm preparing for the worst. In a fit of doomsday anxiety and poor impulse control, I rushed to get a nic order into Wizard Labs before they closed, so now I have 250ml /100mg on the way and I'm scrambling around trying to get all the measuring/mixing/storing supplies together.

My immediate concern is just dealing with the nic when it gets here. My plan is to pour it up into 2oz amber bottles (or maybe 1oz - I haven't decided that yet) so that only a little bit at a time gets exposed to air and light. The rest will stay in the freezer until I need it. From what I've read, if stored in that fashion, it should have a shelf life of about a year. I'm as new as you, though, so don't quote me on that. As far as safety, I'm taking reasonable precautions but nothing extraordinary - it's not like I'm taking delivery on a vial of Ebola or something. I'll wear gloves, open the window and set the amber bottles in a disposable aluminum roasting pan while I fill them in case I spill. I thought about buying the big HazMat mask on the WL website, but that's probably overkill.

Once I get the nic put away and the rest of my non-juice supplies together, then I can start on the fun part - picking the flavors :) I'll be watching this thread to see what you come up with. I'm not a DIY Master, but I'll certainly share my experiences - if nothing else, I can serve as the example of what not to do. :) This will be fun.

Last edited:

finnman1

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 2, 2013
Iowa
They will likely ban the sale and manufacture of the E-liquid.

What this means is that PG/VG/Flavoring will always be around for purchase as long as they have other uses. Does Nicotine have other uses?? If so, then you'll be making moonshine. Illegal yes, but not like they will come looking for you..

I mean, after all, they are doing it "For the Children." The chances of home brewers reselling is low. They know we need it. Don't expect enforcement (i.e. tracking of nic shipments) if you buy it for moonshining use. The FDA going to come knocking? THey dont have the resources IMO

Last edited:

Shy De

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 10, 2013
Oregon
LOL! I'm with you, Shy De. We may not be faced with an all-out ban, but I think that access to liquid nicotine / nic juice is likely to be significantly restricted, perhaps to the point that it becomes too costly and/or too risky for most juice vendors to stay in business. I'm hoping for the best, but like you, I'm preparing for the worst. In a fit of doomsday anxiety and poor impulse control, I rushed to get a nic order into Wizard Labs before they closed, so now I have 250ml /100mg on the way and I'm scrambling around trying to get all the measuring/mixing/storing supplies together.

My immediate concern is just dealing with the nic when it gets here. My plan is to pour it up into 2oz amber bottles (or maybe 1oz - I haven't decided that yet) so that only a little bit at a time gets exposed to air and light. The rest will stay in the freezer until I need it. From what I've read, if stored in that fashion, it should have a shelf life of about a year. I'm as new as you, though, so don't quote me on that. As far as safety, I'm taking reasonable precautions but nothing extraordinary - it's not like I'm taking delivery on a vial of Ebola or something. I'll wear gloves, open the window and set the amber bottles in a disposable aluminum roasting pan while I fill them in case I spill. I thought about buying the big HazMat mask on the WL website, but that's probably overkill.

Once I get the nic put away and the rest of my non-juice supplies together, then I can start on the fun part - picking the flavors :) I'll be watching this thread to see what you come up with. I'm not a DIY Master, but I'll certainly share my experiences - if nothing else, I can serve as the example of what not to do. :) This will be fun.

This is exactly how I feel. Even if it gets super expensive, will it be more expensive than smoking analog? That is my deepest fear, is going THERE again. What is the shelf life of nicotine when frozen? I may not buy until April if its somewhat limited. But, as most chemical all I see it doing is getting weaker over time. Buying huge amounts of high potency could just mean over time you may end up with an 80mg on down than the original 100mg. I think it would be interesting just to see what the actual cost to be self sufficent from the ground up for a year would cost...

Shy De

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 10, 2013
Oregon
It really depends how much quantity wise you vape. A couple liters should last you awhile :) People are discussing stuff like this on several other threads but I haven't seen one in this section of the forum. I got two orders in at Wizard before the shutdown and I will be ordering more when they reopen just for some peace of mind as there are two vapers here.

The first question is how much freezer space does a person have to store nic solution long term and what else is the most imperative things to have. The flavorings will always be available so thats no worry. PG and VG are easy to get so thats no problem. I am focusing on stocking up on nic solution at the moment. I have a good supply of flavorings on hand a anyways as I've been at this awhile and I am a diy buying addict...lol But will I buy more? Probably so. If you are just starting out its hard to do that until you know what flavorings you actually like and will use again.

I like Wizard Labs for my nic solution and the backups are ecigexpress's nic solution, MyFreedomSmokes, RTS Vapes, Vaping Zone's nic solution. There are others but those are the ones I have used. High Desert Vapes also has flavorings and carries some of the Wizard Labs nic base so thats good for a backup source too.

Flavorings number one source for me is ecigexpress most flavorings under one roof and adds more brands and flavors often. No one stocks as extensively as they do. Backup for super concentrated flavorings for me is Vaping Zone. OneStopDIYShop lady is nice to deal with for small sample sizes. I tend to buy when there are sales at any of these places. The best way to know about sales is get on their mailing list or check the deals & steals thread daily.

I buy PG at the Tractor Store and VG with any of the above vendors. And thats my story and I'm sticking to it....:D

PG at the Tractot store? I wonder what they need it for... :)

Shy De

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 10, 2013
Oregon
I hope the moderators are ok with this i think its sanitized enough. Now, i have been thinking on the same plane. i've come to realize 1. they will never ban flavorings this will be a non issue, along with VG or PG so that leaves NIC. you need to calculate your desired nic level, lets use 10mg/ml for a nice round number. now figure out how much you need, lets say your usage is 20ml a week, about a 1000ml(i like round #'s) to get a 1000ml of 10mg per mil you need 10,000mg of pure nic(never ever buy touch or be in the same county as pure nic) lets use a reasonable nic level that can by diluted i'll give a number(need to conform to the forum rules)and multiply or NOT till you reach something divisible easily by 10. so lets use 36mg/ml divided by 10000 is 277ml's of 36mg nic base now subtract 277 from 1000 total = 733 and if you like 50/50 that would be 366 ml's of pg and 366 ml's of vg. so we have (277mls of 36mg/ml base) (366 ml's of pg) (366 ml's of vg) that gives you 1009 mls unflavored 10mg/ml e-liquid, now factor your flavor 10-20% guessing so 100-200mls of flavors. so theoretically buy 300mls of 36mg/ml and put it in cold/dark storage. the other half of my plan is mechanical only mod (cant ban batteries) somthing like a GG or Bolt, box mod. and the last piece is a rebuildable atty like an oddy or an AGAt or z-atty because of course can ban mesh or heating wire. hope this helps, spreading my paranoia. :nun::unsure::angel:TO OUR WORNDERFUL MODERATORS IF I BROKE ANY FORUM RULES PLEASE BE KIND

I have changed my post too just to make it a bit more neutral :) How long can you store nicotine?

Chief Thunder

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Apr 30, 2012
Maryland
www.g2vapor.com
Just a little FYI for you ecig preppers. If your buying 100mg nic base, make sure 100% VG is the carrier. It has been shown that the thicker VG will help prevent the nic breakdown when stored in the freezer. It's been chemist confirmed it should last up to 10 years stored in 100% VG in the freezer.
Also my 2cents, wizard labs is FDA approved and nic was available before ecigs so like someone said the will probably just go after the juice vendors.

Shy De

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 10, 2013
Oregon
Just a little FYI for you ecig preppers. If your buying 100mg nic base, make sure 100% VG is the carrier. It has been shown that the thicker VG will help prevent the nic breakdown when stored in the freezer. It's been chemist confirmed it should last up to 10 years stored in 100% VG in the freezer.
Also my 2cents, wizard labs is FDA approved and nic was available before ecigs so like someone said the will probably just go after the juice vendors.

This is very useful and hopeful information. :)

Shilo

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 27, 2011
Here & There

Interesting-- I'd read exactly the opposite somewhere on this forum. How long does the PG nic last in the freezer?

Course I don't expect to freeze it for ten years...lol

Last edited:

Shy De

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 10, 2013
Oregon
Has anyone considered extracting Nic Juice from 'existing' regulated Tobacco Products such as snus? I mean, wouldn't these get you by in a pinch? :smokie:

I think I would prefer to vape no nicotine fluids and put a nicaderm patch on :) They have the nicontrol inhaler by prescription... which I wonder what they will do with that in this restriction process... I tried that to quit smoking and it made me sick to my stomach most of the time... :(

Faylool

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 7, 2012
Sweet Home, Oregon USA
I read on ecf that PG was the 1st choice base and also read shelf life up to 2 years with VG being 1 1/2. I also read to not get higher than 60% nicotine and since DIY is so much cheaper who cares about if its slightly less cheaper that way. I read to stor it in a cool dark place and there was No significant difference in the breakdown doing it that way as opposed to freezing. Using glass is best.i bought enough to last two years and in a PG base at 60% nicotine and an equivalent of VG in 0 nicotine to dilute strength from 24-36 mg nic strength depending. I over estimated how much I'll use. I am going to get a decent collection of Atties and Tank cartos and wait and see. I'm willing to use snus if I have to. I will have two mechanical mods. In a couple weeks. I like to buy in quantity anyway to save on shipping and sometimes gets free shipping and you get more for your money usually so a years supply is no big deal. I just timesed by two. Whatever ends up happening I'm pretty good at adapting. I mean you pretty much have to so. I do care though....but what will be will be and I too doubt it will be very Unreasonable. Would hate to be surprised though!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread