Mythbusters Part Deux: Stainless Steel Weight

Status
Not open for further replies.

forcedfuel50

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
I was reading the other day some posts that would have one believe stainless steel mods weigh 3 to 3.5 times as much as aluminum mods. Could this be true?!

While it is true that stainless by volume weighs 3 times as much as aluminum, when used in mods, the mod often comes no where near 3, 2 or even 1.5 times as heavy!

Why is this so?

First: Stainless steel has far greater tensile and hardness ratings when compared to aluminum, which not only gives stainless steel its great scratch resistance, but also allows us to run a much thinner mod wall diameter then aluminum without sacrificing strength, thus saving some weight, as well as a giving us a thinner mod to boot!

Second: Many mods utilize brass, steel or stainless steel endcaps, buttons, center posts, atomizer threads/adapters and parts, which are all much heavier then aluminum. Brass, Stainless and Steel also all have near equal weights by volume.

No doubt a stainless steel mod does weigh more then aluminum, but the increased strength in the atomizer thread area and cap to body thread areas (the most likely areas to strip or wear out) as well as it's corrosion resitance and scratch resistance, makes Stainless steel a pretty attractive option in the use of mods! Stainless steel's heft is quality you can feel.

Video weight comparision of a Stainless Precise Vs. an Aluminum Bodied Precise:

YouTube - Weight of Stainless Steel Vs. Aluminum Mods

Last edited:

forcedfuel50

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Also, i should make it very clear, i'm not bashing aluminum. I have made mods in the past of aluminum and will no doubt make them in the future. I'm simply defending stainless steel against a few individuals who have bashed and spread mis-information regarding stainless steel without even manufacturing stainless steel mods or having any empirical testing of it's actual use in mods (both conductivity and weight).

Last edited:

pipes1

ECF Veteran
Aug 2, 2009
Chandler, Arizona
Hey David
Maybe you should be looking into alternate materials, before someone asks you for justification in your choice of springs.

Can you save some weight by using a smaller diameter spring wire?
If so, how will it stand up and will that impact the warrantee?
Higher tensile so you wouldn't need to use as many coils?
Maybe remove the spring and have the user position the PV so as not to make contact, until needed?

Thoughts???

Bob

P.S. Just kidding but the questions are getting a little silly

forcedfuel50

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Hello David, Have you ever tried to make a PV out of Titanium?
If so how did it work out.

Thanks,
Don

No, haven't tried. It's very difficult to machine and requires special bits and machining processes. It would be pretty damn cool!:)

silverrocks

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 1, 2011
USA
www.ihatesilver.com
No, haven't tried. It's very difficult to machine and requires special bits and machining processes. It would be pretty damn cool!:)

I had a titanium Provape, very nice and sturdy metal. I believe it is one of the lightest but strongest (beside tungsten.Yes, that would be pretty damn cool indeed !!!!

OnTheFidele

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2013
Finally someone who speaks the truth. Steel is just plain stronger. Most people think about strength or weight, but don't think about the ratio between those two variables. Remember people: The RATIO is what is important!

And for you Ti junkies (I am one of you) titanium is brittle. Drop it one the wrong way and it shatters. Most good steels just absorb the shock.

Yes thnk about your future PV, people, but keep it realistic. Pros and cons. IMHO, steel is the way to go, FOR NOW.

forcedfuel50

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Finally someone who speaks the truth. Steel is just plain stronger. Most people think about strength or weight, but don't think about the ratio between those two variables. Remember people: The RATIO is what is important!

And for you Ti junkies (I am one of you) titanium is brittle. Drop it one the wrong way and it shatters. Most good steels just absorb the shock.

Yes thnk about your future PV, people, but keep it realistic. Pros and cons. IMHO, steel is the way to go, FOR NOW.

Yep, thats just it, though stainless is much heavier then aluminum, its also much stronger, hence you can use thinner walls and save weight. My 26650 Shockwave, though heavy since its still a 26650 mod, is still relatively light as it weighs less then another manufacturers aluminum 26650 mod as we use much thinner walls and remove material from non critical areas.

anavidfan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2012
U.S.
Got a question, I hear about all the different grades of stainless: 316, surgical grade etc. I know all these factors differ in quality and how "stainless" steel can actually be. Are your new devices 316 or higher? Im just curious because in the case of the Odysseus genuine vs clone, though the clone is very well made it is apparent that the quality of stainless steel differs in its oxidation.

Just curious, Ive had people ask me and I never know how to answer. SOme have other devices that are supposed surgical or 316 etc.

Draconian

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 13, 2013
San Antonio
Differences between grades of stainless are really not that relevant to us. 304 or 316 - really - makes no difference except for the price that the mod maker charges. Quality stainless (not necessarily graded stainless!) should not have much of an issue with oxidation as long as it is given reasonable care - keeping in mind that stainless does not mean "rustless" - it literally means "Stains less" - not "doesn't stain at all" Some of the clone stuff coming out that is stainless - or so they say - does have a bit of a problem with oxidation. One easy way to tell if stainless is decent is to hold a magnet near it - good stainless - well, it won't be attracted or barely at all - the more it's attracted, the more iron in the alloy - and the more oxidation issues.

Got a question, I hear about all the different grades of stainless: 316, surgical grade etc. I know all these factors differ in quality and how "stainless" steel can actually be. Are your new devices 316 or higher? Im just curious because in the case of the Odysseus genuine vs clone, though the clone is very well made it is apparent that the quality of stainless steel differs in its oxidation.

Just curious, Ive had people ask me and I never know how to answer. SOme have other devices that are supposed surgical or 316 etc.

anavidfan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2012
U.S.
Thanks Draconian, I never knew about the amount of magnetic attraction with Stainless steel. I was just curious, like I said. People always like to compare and justify why something is "better" or more costly.

Working as a surgical Tech, I saw many implants that were removed. Some of the surgical Steel was not pretty when removed. It was tarnished and some of them were removed because of that oxidation.

Titanium also oxidizes and also looks pretty bad after a few months and years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread