Anyone noticed a "film" on windows where you vape?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gdaym8

ECF Veteran
Nov 10, 2012
ATX
I am allowed to vape in my office, the "walls" are all windows. I have noticed the windows right in front of my desk have become cloudy looking. My car window has as well, has anyone else noticed this? f so, what does it say about second hand vapor? My concern is affecting the health of others with my personal choices, I don't want to harm anyone else with a false sense of security as happened with analogs. :blush:

mostlyclassics

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I get the same problem, too. In a thread I can't find, someone opined that it was all or nearly all PG/VG. Windex and paper towels takes care of it pronto. Is it dangerous? Probably not. I've put my nose on the glass so besmeared and smelled nothing, neither the cinnamony-peppery scent of nicotine nor what I'd been vaping.

Back when I smoked, I had to clean my computer monitor every couple of months or so. In almost two years of vaping, I've only had to swab off the monitor once, and that was mostly because I'd sneezed on it when I had the flu.

SissySpike

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2012
San Diego CA
Everything I keep reading says there is little or no nic exhaled. I think the theory we are only exhaling water vapor is disproved buy the film on our windshield. To me it makes since the glass is cooler so the vapor condolences on it. You could always scrap it with a razor blade dissolve it back in to your juice mmmm recycled window haze! Waste not want not!

gdaym8

ECF Veteran
Nov 10, 2012
ATX
I hear you mostlyclassics, it seems like it should be safer but if the film builds up there what is it doing in my lungs, or worse, someone else's? Please understand I am excited about vaping, I haven't had an analog in 7 months an I can breathe much better than in many years. That said I do not want to live with blinders on and in denial.

Scoop224

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 4, 2012
Cincinnati
20 years ago I worked in stage production for live music shows, and we had intellegent lighting and a fog machine in use every night. I used to fog the hell out of every venue we worked to get the most out of my moving colored lightbeams.... At the end of the night when we tore down, there would be an area in front of the fog machine where the fog "juice" would accumulate and it was a slippery feeling film like you described. I would just wipe it up and go about my business... Not sure of the exact ingredients in industrial strength fog liquid, but I've used a few hundred gallons of the stuff on crowds before and none of them ever complained or dropped dead from exposure...(that I know of that is...)

gdaym8

ECF Veteran
Nov 10, 2012
ATX
20 years ago I worked in stage production for live music shows, and we had intellegent lighting and a fog machine in use every night. I used to fog the hell out of every venue we worked to get the most out of my moving colored lightbeams.... At the end of the night when we tore down, there would be an area in front of the fog machine where the fog "juice" would accumulate and it was a slippery feeling film like you described. I would just wipe it up and go about my business... Not sure of the exact ingredients in industrial strength fog liquid, but I've used a few hundred gallons of the stuff on crowds before and none of them ever complained or dropped dead from exposure...(that I know of that is...)

Sure I understand, the difference is it isn't everyday all day. I fully believe vaping is safer than analogs, I smoked 40 years, coughed and hacked all the time. Wheezed, had little lung capacity and wore out easily. Today I can breathe again, have more energy, no longer cough, hack and wheeze. I believe in vaping as harm reduction. As someone involved in harm reduction for addicts I want to know exactly what it means though. I have never been very good at just accepting what I am told as truth, I need to find out for myself.

Scoop224

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 4, 2012
Cincinnati
I'm right there with you... My point is that whether I was breathing heavy duty fog juice, or vaping with my PV, i still feel healthier and am not dealing with the known toxicity of combustion in regular tobacco cigarettes. The film we're talking about is probably the same filmy feeling we get in our throats from drinking cough syrup.... Since PG is a known ingrediant used as a suspension in that stuff. Certainly not as bad as the tar I used to scrub off my windshield several times a year as a traditional smoker.... Nowhere NEAR...

StormFinch

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2010
Arkansas
Okay, abstract of the IVAQS study comparing vapor to cigarette smoke can be found here: IVAQS Comparison of the Effects of E-Cigarette Vapor and Cigarette Smoke

The ClearStream vapor output study can be found here: http://clearstream.flavourart.it/site/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/CSA_ItaEng.pdf

The main ingredients in fog juice; glycerin and water or propylene glycol and water. A study on theatrical fog can be found here: http://www.casaa.org/uploads/CDC-Report-Safety-Theatrical-Fog.pdf Thanks CASAA!

We tend to say that what we inhale is water vapor because otherwise we confuse people who don't/can't/won't understand. It's basically the same ingredients coming from a fog machine plus what the human body expels. Propylene glycol and vegetable glycerin are both humectants. They pull the moisture out of your mouth and air passages and combine with it, then you blow back out creating the vapor. Since humectants work better at certain temperatures and humidity levels that's the reason that you get more vapor on warm, muggy days than you do on dry, cold ones. So, Scoop's description of what he cleaned up around the fog machine each night is very similar to what's finding it's way onto your windshields and windows.

Last edited:

mostlyclassics

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I hear you mostlyclassics, it seems like it should be safer but if the film builds up there what is it doing in my lungs, or worse, someone else's? Please understand I am excited about vaping, I haven't had an analog in 7 months an I can breathe much better than in many years. That said I do not want to live with blinders on and in denial.

It's probably not doing anything, but long-term tests haven't been done, since vaping has only been around since 2006, when it was invented in China.

Let's review what's in our e-liquids:

With regard to PG, if you were born in a hospital, the first breaths you drew on this earth were well laced with PG -- it's been in use in hospital ventilating systems for many decades. PG is a germicide. Because of the PG scum problem, it's mostly been replaced with micropore filters. Also, many surgeons and OR nurses have spent 12 hours per day, five or six days per week in operating theaters for their whole careers, and operating theaters used to get really heavy doses of PG via the ventilation systems. And an awful lot of stuff we breathe, put in our mouths or eat are well laced with PG. The FDA has called it "generally recognized as safe."

With regard to VG, you find it in an awful lot of foods, both natural and processed. For instance, nearly all wines have an appreciable amount of natural VG. All told, you've probably ingested gallons of the stuff over your lifetime. The FDA has also called VG "generally recognized as safe."

Nicotine, well you'll have to draw your own conclusions, but from what I've read, it's not a carcinogen, just a mild stimulant which has other beneficial properties for certain people. It's probably not good for you if you have an advanced case of congestive heart failure or blood pressure high enough to pop your eyeballs out of their sockets, but otherwise it's a "so what?" on the order of caffeine.

Flavorings are the only real wild card: there's just not enough experience with inhaling these over a long period of time. But they're all safe to eat.

The heat to which we subject e-liquids is not enough to cause any of these ingredients to form new, noxious compounds.

And, remember, your lungs are not garbage cans! Something you inhale just doesn't sit there until the day you assume room temperature. Since you've quit cigarettes, all the little ciliae in your lungs and bronchial passages have become unparalyzed, so they constantly shove anything your lung tissue doesn't like up your windpipe to the point where you either cough up the offending goop or swallow it.

Last edited:

gdaym8

ECF Veteran
Nov 10, 2012
ATX
Thank you Stormfinch! I had seen other studies but those are new to me so I really appreciate it. I am somewhat OCD when it comes to studying everything, of course it didn't stop me from smoking analogs that I knew had a high chance of killing me (and still may after 40 years of use). My main concern is not harming others with my choices.

Butters78

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2012
San Antonio, Texas, United States
Maid.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread