Status
Not open for further replies.

Ejuice4cig

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 22, 2013
CA, San Jose
Hello all,
Today I was playing around with my Kanger T3, I found that there are 2 pieces of wick, 1 with coil wrap around and 1 just lay on top. Now, I have been having some small issue with T3 due to burn taste (may be because I use 50/50 juice?) Anyway, I took out the top wick and replace it with a 100% wick I made from a cotton ball. After 10 min, i took a drag, 1st drag was nothing, no vapor, no flavor. Then I took a 2nd drag, long drag, there's some vapor but absolutely no taste. After like 5 drags, I gave up and put back the original wick. Am I doing something wrong?

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
i notice this in a few attys now once removed the taste and vapor improves, i dont know who thought laying a wick on top of the coil was a good idea but it doesnt work this way lol

i bought these Excalibur tanks and they had zero flavor and lame vapor production, opened the head and a wick fell out once removed they vaped like monsters.
might have to thin the juice just a little bit also for 50/50

Last edited:

donnah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Albemarle, North Carolina
I once tried laying an extra piece of cotton over the coil and it didn't work either, from what I've seen others do, I gather that you have to lay the extra strips on top of the wick that's in the coil, leading up to the coil but not on top of it. This is for extra wicking, but I've found that cotton wicks really well for me and doesn't need any help.

Also, cotton needs a little more time to soak and saturate. I've found that cotton gives me (in my Drunker tank) just as much flavor as SS mesh in my other rbas. Don't write it off, give it another try.

JuniorNA

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 2, 2010
NJ
I actually had the same results with a cotton wick - from a cotton ball. I didn't boil it or anything and I thought maybe that was the problem. I even soaked the cotton with juice and still no flavor. Maybe someone here can tell us if we didn't wait long enough for the cotton to soak the juice ? Maybe we had to wait an hour ? I only waited 2 min lol

Connected via T-A-Talk

adeline

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 15, 2010
Cary, NC
I actually had the same results with a cotton wick - from a cotton ball. I didn't boil it or anything and I thought maybe that was the problem. I even soaked the cotton with juice and still no flavor. Maybe someone here can tell us if we didn't wait long enough for the cotton to soak the juice ? Maybe we had to wait an hour ? I only waited 2 min lol

Connected via T-A-Talk

Cotton needs a bit more time to soak and absorb the juice. Cotton ball wicks are some of the fastest cotton wick to soak, but it's still recommended to soak for an hour -- or three. The longer the better. Otherwise you're just going to burn the cotton, and quickly.

JuniorNA

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 2, 2010
NJ
After 4 hour of soak, it's still tasteless. What am I doing wrong?

Dude, the same thing is happening to me. Let me tell you what i did so you can see if we are doing the same thing.

I pulled out a piece of cotton from a brand new/clean cotton ball - I rolled it into a wick the size of 2 toothpicks (not good with MM sizes).
I boiled that cotton wick for 30 minutes, and changed out the water at the 15 min mark. after i took it out, i used a sewing needle, and i wrapped 4/5 of 32 gauge nichrome 60. I then installed into my VIVI tank atty head and filled my chamber. filled 2.5 mil of PG juice, and let it soak for 30 minutes, i also dropped 4 drops directly on the coil, and when i fired it up, all looked good.

I then took some hits and it was tasteless, well i tasted cotton but nothing else. i didnt taste anything but cotton. Not burned cotton, but just botton (it was a very dry starchy/cottony hit).
I then let it soak on its side for 6 hours, and standing up for 6 hours - and after 12 hours, it still tastes horrible .

I gave up and ordered 100 feet of 2.5 mm silica and i will just stick with that. It's not "that" bad, and it's been working for me all this time, so i'm not going to bother messing around with Cotton if it's just going to give me a headache and annoy me. unless perhaps i'll try cotton yarn size #1/0

PepNYC

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 16, 2010
Charlotte, NC
Dude, the same thing is happening to me. Let me tell you what i did so you can see if we are doing the same thing.

I pulled out a piece of cotton from a brand new/clean cotton ball - I rolled it into a wick the size of 2 toothpicks (not good with MM sizes).
I boiled that cotton wick for 30 minutes, and changed out the water at the 15 min mark. after i took it out, i used a sewing needle, and i wrapped 4/5 of 32 gauge nichrome 60. I then installed into my VIVI tank atty head and filled my chamber. filled 2.5 mil of PG juice, and let it soak for 30 minutes, i also dropped 4 drops directly on the coil, and when i fired it up, all looked good.

I then took some hits and it was tasteless, well i tasted cotton but nothing else. i didnt taste anything but cotton. Not burned cotton, but just botton (it was a very dry starchy/cottony hit).
I then let it soak on its side for 6 hours, and standing up for 6 hours - and after 12 hours, it still tastes horrible .

I gave up and ordered 100 feet of 2.5 mm silica and i will just stick with that. It's not "that" bad, and it's been working for me all this time, so i'm not going to bother messing around with Cotton if it's just going to give me a headache and annoy me. unless perhaps i'll try cotton yarn size #1/0

Have you tried 100% Cotton Braided wick? Not cotton balls, not cotton pads, not any type of cotton you can buy at a drug store. It's actually candle wick. I use the 2mm size for my ViVi's and Kangers and it works great. Just fluff it up a bit after you build the coil or add the flavor wick and you're good to go. It's cheap. You can get about 10 yards for $3. Just make sure it's pure cotton and you may want to boil it for a bit before ya use it. Oh..and don't dry burn it. Yuck. :) Good luck guys.

JuniorNA

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 2, 2010
NJ
Have you tried 100% Cotton Braided wick? Not cotton balls, not cotton pads, not any type of cotton you can buy at a drug store. It's actually candle wick. I use the 2mm size for my ViVi's and Kangers and it works great. Just fluff it up a bit after you build the coil or add the flavor wick and you're good to go. It's cheap. You can get about 10 yards for $3. Just make sure it's pure cotton and you may want to boil it for a bit before ya use it. Oh..and don't dry burn it. Yuck. :) Good luck guys.

Hi Pep, i have not tried 100% cotton wick. I just tried the cotton balls, and cotton yarn. where can I get the cotton braided wick? like a Michaels ? arts and crafts store?

PepNYC

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 16, 2010
Charlotte, NC
Hi Pep, i have not tried 100% cotton wick. I just tried the cotton balls, and cotton yarn. where can I get the cotton braided wick? like a Michaels ? arts and crafts store?

My local Michael's store doesn't carry any wick stuff. Take a look though. Just make sure it's 100% natural. Square braided works well. If they don't have it look on EBAY. That's where I get mine. PM'ed you the seller's name and link.

Last edited:

JuniorNA

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 2, 2010
NJ
Ok update - great update - I went out and bought 100% cotton pads in the first aid section. They come in little pad disc. It's like 2.99 for 100 of them. I cut a little sliver out and rolled it in my hand really tight - recoiled using 32 gauge Nichrome at 1.7 ohms - 5 wraps. Replaced the head since I'm doing this in a vivi nova and let it sit. No cotton taste - a little break in period for the coil but it tastes 100x better than the cotton ball method for me! I think I'm in love.

The only issue I ran into is that rubber spacer at the end of the coil assembly is getting weaker each time I put in a new wick so once that rips completely I'll have to but a replacement vivi nova head anyway - maybe I can find a site that just has those spacers. Not sure - but so far I like it !!

Connected via T-A-Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread