Not open for further replies.

ricks

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 11, 2011
Moscow PA
cleardid 003.jpg

How does this happen? Is it the amount of times you wind the wire? Please help me accomplish this task. I use 100% PG liquids only. On one of these

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
ohms is dictated by wire size or gauge when compared side by side in the same length.

for example(just for example not actual) 2 inch of 32 will be 2.4 ohms 2inch of 28 will be 1.8 ohms
as every atomizer is different - in the distance to the center post, how fat you wrap the wick etc.
and this will all dictate to a certain extent the final resistance of your build.

try a 32g 5 wrap coil and that should be around 1.9 -2.4 ohms range. adding another wrap will increase the resistance taking on more off will drop it.

dhomes

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2012
Austin, TX
Here is how i do it.
1. Get an ohm meter
2. Cut a peace of wire
2. measure the ohm of the totalk length
3. cut of little peaces of the wire until you reach 2.2ohm
4. wind that whole wire on the wick

actually, if you follow this you will have a lower resistance coil (not that much though, maybe 2 ohm)

this is because the resistance is the length of wire BETWEEN negative/positive posts X resistance per unit length of the wire you are using (a function of the gauge and whether you are using kanthal or nichrome)

BUT it's almost impossible to wrap a coil without a little wire 'hanging' out from the posts, you always loose some wire (for example, I tend to wrap a complete loop around the positive post before tightening the screws, anything there really doesn't add to the resistance)

So if you start wrapping with, say, 2 inches of wire, you actual length between + / - maybe, say, 1-3/4 (or if you are me even 1-1/2 or less)

It seems to be a widespread misconception that the resistance has to do with the # of wraps themselves. Obviously 4 wraps on a 1mm wick can't be the same as 4 wraps on a 2.5 mm one

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
it really is that easy, but you may end up with more wire and have to make too many wraps. if using a VV or VW device i prefer to tailor the wraps to the atty not the resistance.

most of the time the less wraps you can the better the response time on the coil. think about an electric stove. with all the coils in the heating element. it has to slowly work its way around all of them it never heats up all at once.
plus there is the added problems sometimes, too many wraps and coil spacing and proper even heating can become trickier to accomplish.

inch for inch the lower the gauge of wire the more wraps needed for the same resistance. but as the gauge drops the wire becomes fatter and will heat more area wrap per wrap.

with rba's you can methodize and plan and come out exactly where you want, or just wrap a coil and see where you land, this is the great thing about them they lend themselves well to everyone's style of doing things.

dhomes

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2012
Austin, TX
What works better, more or less coils winds around a wick?

in general, if you like to take quick, hot drags like a cigarette, less wraps

if you like to vape like a pipe, colder, longer drags, more wraps

I tend to use 3 to 5 wraps for Genesis style RBA for the pipe effect

For my phoenixs though I have a method set with 32 kanthal, 2/3 wraps, those hit quick and hard

both will give you a good amount of vapor

unloaded

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 2, 2011
SW. Indiana
Your coil in that pic is wrapped very badly by the way. I don't know what kind of reading you got from it but I wouldn't trust it whatever it was. The coil can short anywhere along the length of it, it can short on the SS wick or by touching another part of the coil (which yours seems to be doing). Any short will give you lower resistance because part of the coil is being left out of the circuit. The coil should be wrapped close to the wick but not too tight, also the coils should be evenly spaced and not touching each other. Don't feel bad, all of us made coils like that starting out, it takes a bit of practice but gets easier as you go. Some people wrap the coil on a drill bit or similar of the proper size, then once they have it setup nicely they slide the wick through it into the tank. You might want to measure your wick before you roll it, make a note of the size and the resulting wick. That way when you get one you really like its easier to duplicate it. If you get too frustrated with it, give it a rest and try again later. It's just one of those things that after lots of trial and error it all suddenly clicks and almost becomes second nature. It's worth it when you finally get there.

ricks

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 11, 2011
Moscow PA
The picture is from the website.
Your coil in that pic is wrapped very badly by the way. I don't know what kind of reading you got from it but I wouldn't trust it whatever it was. The coil can short anywhere along the length of it, it can short on the SS wick or by touching another part of the coil (which yours seems to be doing). Any short will give you lower resistance because part of the coil is being left out of the circuit. The coil should be wrapped close to the wick but not too tight, also the coils should be evenly spaced and not touching each other. Don't feel bad, all of us made coils like that starting out, it takes a bit of practice but gets easier as you go. Some people wrap the coil on a drill bit or similar of the proper size, then once they have it setup nicely they slide the wick through it into the tank. You might want to measure your wick before you roll it, make a note of the size and the resulting wick. That way when you get one you really like its easier to duplicate it. If you get too frustrated with it, give it a rest and try again later. It's just one of those things that after lots of trial and error it all suddenly clicks and almost becomes second nature. It's worth it when you finally get there.

Marthag

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2011
Canada
If i use a provari i can use it to get any ohm coil i want down to less than .1ohm . I just connect both ends of the unwound wire to my rba and slide it in and out of one of the terminals untill i get my ohmage. Than coil it on the ss wick cut wire just after where the screws were tightend connect the ends and i have my ohmage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread