Make the flavors pop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jason_brent

Verified Member
Nov 3, 2012
GA
I been trying the DIY seen for a few months now and i am still not getting the flavors that i want my base e-liquid is 100mg 50/50 mix and i am cutting it with Wilton Glycerin glicerina that you get from michales i am trying to go for mostly VG. I have used up to 20% flavoring in my e-liquid but still not getting that much flavor out of it i have also allowed it to steep for 1-2 weeks with the cap off i am usually on the road so i dont really have the time to shake it every few mins i am getting my flavorings from Wizard labs and the flavors i am trying to mix is Black honey (tobacco) 20%, Honey 12%, and apple 16% i doubled my orginal percentages because i am using only vg and its still not enough flavor for me is there a page out there with suggested amounts to use for thee flavors or maybe a suggested steeping time i I am using e-juice me up and so far all the rec. files no one tells if the flavor should be steeped or not or how long any insite on this would be great Thank you

salemgold

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2010
South Carolina

StereoDreamer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 13, 2012
Columbia MD
I use "NOW Solutions" VG that I get at the local health food store. It is relatively flavorless, is just a little thicker than PG, does not mute flavors, and produces good vapor plumes. It's a little on the spendy side, but it is super-pure and make a a great vape.

I've never used the Wilton VG, and I'm not a fan of most of the Wilton flavorings either, with the exception of their "Creme de Menthe" which is, IMO, awesome...

Last edited:

Blackbeard

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2012
Buffalo, WV
I'm no expert by a long shot, but Black Honey was one of my first attempts at DIY that worked. I make a 12mg 75/25 juice from 24mg 50/50 NIC and only add 4-5% flavor. It's a pleasant vape, and I've considered adding just a teeny bit of something else, maybe more honey or maybe a drop of some tobacco, or both (which sounds like I should up the original flavor to 6-7%). I seem to recall others might suggest a vanilla variant. At any rate, I'd suggest reducing your high percentage. Mine tastes pretty nice after mixing, but steeping a few weeks really mellows it out to where I taste both tobacco and honey.

If I am understanding your recipe, you're using about 48% flavor. That's a lot!

Hoosier

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
Indiana
It looks like you're getting some pretty good advice here so I will chime in on one aspect I didn't see covered.

Steeping is with the bottle capped tight away from sunlight.

Airing is the bottle open away from sunlight.

They do different things to the flavor of a mix and are not always needed.

You probably want to click on the blue number "3" below my name. There is a blog entry on flavoring levels and I think levels 7 & 8 will be of the most interest to you because they seem to be illogical but may explain much.

Bosco

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2012
San Antonio
I started out mixing flavors at 20% and was not pleased with the results. I wouldn't say it was flavorless . .but the flavors didn't taste like they should. I have gone down to max 10% total flavoring (I use fruit, mint and bakery flavors) and my juices are much better tasting.

I realized that e juice is like wine in that the flavors should invite you in . .not punch you in the nose.

bazmonkey

ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2013
Oakland, CA
I realized that e juice is like wine in that the flavors should invite you in . .not punch you in the nose.

Amen. It's so easy to taste a nice berry juice and think "Man, if only I could have that twice as strong". One puff and one realizes that 1) most of the time it only sounds better in your head, and 2) taste is not linear: twice as flavorful is a lot more than twice the sensation. Ever tasted vanilla extract, anyone? By that taste alone could you even *imagine* that being the same flavor as what goes in ice cream?

~Sue~Feb2012

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 10, 2012
USA
I been trying the DIY seen for a few months now and i am still not getting the flavors that i want my base e-liquid is 100mg 50/50 mix and i am cutting it with Wilton Glycerin glicerina that you get from michales i am trying to go for mostly VG. I have used up to 20% flavoring in my e-liquid but still not getting that much flavor out of it i have also allowed it to steep for 1-2 weeks with the cap off i am usually on the road so i dont really have the time to shake it every few mins i am getting my flavorings from Wizard labs and the flavors i am trying to mix is Black honey (tobacco) 20%, Honey 12%, and apple 16% i doubled my orginal percentages because i am using only vg and its still not enough flavor for me is there a page out there with suggested amounts to use for thee flavors or maybe a suggested steeping time i I am using e-juice me up and so far all the rec. files no one tells if the flavor should be steeped or not or how long any insite on this would be great Thank you

What ejuices were you vaping before trying DIY? ...juice for frame of reference
(Tastebuds can get wacky at times too.) I'm no expert but have been experimenting a lot for a few months too.

You are using 100mg 50PG/50VG nic base and trying to get mostly VG?
I've learned to buy 100% VG nic base, separately buying bottles each of VG and PG for diluting purposes. Your flavorings might be all the PG you'll ever need or want but I don't know what you have.... Some people only use VG and some only PG and every ratio in between...only you know what you need to suit your tastes.

Where did you get the recipe you are posting here :ohmy: It appears, if I read correctly, you started with
10% Honey Tobacco, 6% Honey and 8% apple then doubled it to
20% H.T , 12% Honey and 16% apple?

I start with 2.5% Honey Tobacco with .5% Honey and .5% apple and adjust slightly from there. Steeping a week or so often helps with some flavors, especially tobacco

Good luck!

markfm

Aussie Pup Wrangler
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2010
Beautiful Baldwinsville (CNY)
For VG, I've been using the Glycerin USP Skin Protectant, in the bandaid section at Rite Aid or CVS, for a long time now, quite happy with it. The only ingredient listed should be Glycerin 99.5%, and it costs about $5 for a squat, clear, 6 ounce bottle, with flip top cap.

I cap out under 25% total flavoring in 0 PG (nominal 100% VG) mixes, 22% (8 + 8 + 6) in my vananaberry. As already mentioned, too much flavoring actually can hurt the final result. My 22% mix is with all organic flavorings, which are relatively weak.

Steeping can be a biggie with multi-flavor, easily a couple weeks for things to really meld.

graffinfected

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2012
ORLANDO, FL.
when i steep juices that are too perfumy or flowery i steep it with the cap off for only 24 hours in a cool dark area away from light.. then put the cap back on the bottle as soon as 24 hours is up. this will usually do the trick on those " perfumy" juices.. sometimes if you let it steep with the cap on it will do the same thing.. but leaving the cap off for 24 hours always works for me with the exception of maybe 1 time that it didnt work.

when i steep regular juice i leave the cap on and toss it in a cabinet in my kitchen.. i completely forget about it for like a month and then go looking for a cup and booya!!! " i forgot i had juice here" lol then i vape it.

you should read Hoosiers blog.. it makes perfect sense.

i never vape a vg only mix... but if i did i would add extra flavoring because of how dense VG is.. its will take longer to mix in well enough to get a good flavor also.. if your going to add the same percentage of flavoring to your VG mix as you would a PG mix then its best to shake the living crap out of that bottle.. for a while... just to make sure its getting mixed into the VG real good. but still.... i like mixing at a high percentage so i would bump it up a little for a strictly VG mix.

:2c:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread