Somebody point me to a free and easy bottle label program/template?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thomasis

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 14, 2012
Somewhere on top of the world
buy lots of Sharpies, buy different colors if you get bored....
Sorry, I could leave that one alone but I use a cheap handheld dymo label maker. If you buy the tape on Amazon, it's fairly cheap.
I like them because the lables don't peel off when taking glass bottles out of the freezer from condesation.
The other reason I like them is because my hand writing sucks.

bazmonkey

ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2013
Oakland, CA
I've never heard the term "graftware". In fact, google for "graftware office". This actual post is #2!!!

So, what's it mean? If you don't want to use Office but a document template would work, LibreOffice is what you need. It can read/write Office formatted documents and it's open source (free).

If you don't want to use a word processor template with any software suite... I got nothin'.

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
Thanks for the tip. We use the bigger handheld ones at work and have boxes of the tape. Hopefully they fit.

You is welcome.

Not that I want to encourage any fact checking in pursuit of purloined label tape compatibility, but at Radio Shack it's item #11974610 and it's a Brother PT-1290. It's in the President's Day Weekend sales stuff. Full qwerty keyboard - nice.

Gr8Scott

ECF Veteran
Sep 23, 2012
Ifaitoldzya, Umytszlapmi
I've never heard the term "graftware". In fact, google for "graftware office". This actual post is #2!!!

So, what's it mean? If you don't want to use Office but a document template would work, LibreOffice is what you need. It can read/write Office formatted documents and it's open source (free).

If you don't want to use a word processor template with any software suite... I got nothin'.

Well,
I should explain :)

The idea of "graftware", though probably not correct, vocabulary wise, came to me as I was thinking about this ultra-fancy 4 digit $$$ computer that I am on now. Paid mucho dollars for my machine and Microsoft can't include an Office program? They give you a teaser

So I said "screw 'em" and went open source. Which is free.

Enter "LibreOffice"
http://download.cnet.com/LibreOffice/3000-18483_4-75337651.html

All the goodies of Windows office but 100% free!

Anyway,
I appreciate all y'alls ideas. I didn't even think of a label maker :)

Brilliance! :)

mostlyclassics

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I'm a dinosaur, so I use Microsoft Works. ;)

The mail-merge function has a gazillion label templates built in. Anyone want to label their bottles with 5½ inch floppy labels? I can, thanks to the miracle of Microsoft Works.

Just for grins, I googled "Microsoft Works." You can get version 9 for about $20. Mine, of course, is version 3. It came chipped on flint spearheads. Took me forever to enter all that assembler code. :blink:

Last edited:

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
My second vote would be for the Avery software too, especially if you want/need to include your own artwork. That's what is gonna be missing from the labeler option. I've used the Avery software in the past and it does work well, especially if you need to turn out a boat load of stuff. But if you only need a few quick labels something like the Brother labeler is the hands down winner.

serenity21899

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 18, 2013
Antioch IL
Well someone already beat me to the Open Office suggestion, but I really think a label maker is just easier. Even at full price, you can get a Brother P-touch for like $20 and the tape is cheap. I don't DIY, but I sometimes have to cut the nic, and do that in empty bottles. Properly formatted, the labels can be small, and they can be easily removed.

Gr8Scott

ECF Veteran
Sep 23, 2012
Ifaitoldzya, Umytszlapmi
If you are against using Office, which I understand, there is another alternative. Open Office is free and can even save or open Office docs. I use their spreadsheet and word processor all the time. You can download it free at Open Office free download

Actually, that is exactly what I use, mostly, it's on my other machine. :) Both of them are born from Linux and Libre is the newest office program (meaning supposedly "new and improved" from OO and) included in Linux Distributions, intended to replace OpenOffice.

OO is really good though.

As far as the labeling machine, eh..the price is awesome, but I am thinking about delving into Avery a bit deeper :)

Thanks, all :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread